Geez, this sucks for those onboard

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
um...LINKAGE!!!

edit
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170076,00.html
LOS ANGELES — A JetBlue (search) airliner with its front landing gear stuck sideways landed safely Wednesday, balancing on its back wheels as it slowed on the runway at Los Angeles International Airport.

As the front wheels touched the runway, flames shot along the tarmac and the tires tore off, leaving the metal gear scraping the runway for the final few yards.

The pilots of Flight 292 had discovered the problem as they tried to retract the plane's landing gear shortly after leaving Burbank's Bob Hope Airport (search) bound for New York, said JetBlue spokesman Bryan Baldwin.

With 139 passengers on board, the plane circled the Los Angeles area for three hours as the pilots burned off fuel and officials tried to determine how to bring the plane in safely.

Federal Aviation Administration (search) spokesman Donn Walker said the Airbus A320 burned off fuel to lighten the plane for landing.

The plane first circled the Long Beach Airport, about 30 miles south of Burbank, then was cleared to land at Los Angeles, said LAX spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

Baldwin said the pilots had reported a landing gear indication light on shortly after takeoff at 3:17 p.m. The plane landed about 6:20 p.m.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
now there's a trackstand:
A JetBlue airliner with its front landing gear stuck sideways safely landed Wednesday, balancing on its back wheels as it slowed on the runway at Los Angeles International Airport.
courtesy of msnbd

edit: of course, by trackstand i mean manual and by msnbd i mean msnbc. i should stop drinking capri sun...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
America West airlines had the EXACT same thing happen on the EXACT same type of aircraft about 6-7 years ago in Columbus, Ohio with the EXACT same results.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Potroast88 said:
I can pretty much guarantee that the entertainment system on that plane has been turned off.
I watched it live yesterday, and according to the passengers, they also watched it live from their TV sets on the plane. One person even video taped the TV on the plane...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While attempting to land in Detroit once the landing was aborted because of traffic on the runway, of course we did not know that at first. To scare my friend next to me I told him the landing gear must be stuck. Some kids in front of me heard the comment, freaked out and spread the rumour. The flight attendant quickly squashed the fears but I had to laugh my ass off for a bit.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Westy said:
While attempting to land in Detroit once the landing was aborted because of traffic on the runway, of course we did not know that at first. To scare my friend next to me I told him the landing gear must be stuck. Some kids in front of me heard the comment, freaked out and spread the rumour. The flight attendant quickly squashed the fears but I had to laugh my ass off for a bit.
Haha...you can't say bomb on an airplane...