Quantcast

general info

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I just got a pair of 661 4x4 knee gaurds. Wondering if anyone else has them and what they think. Also wondering if any of you started riding bigger stuff after getting protective gear and the like. Thanks

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by wannabeabonedoc
I just got a pair of 661 4x4 knee gaurds. Wondering if anyone else has them and what they think. Also wondering if any of you started riding bigger stuff after getting protective gear and the like. Thanks
I had them and wore them for give or take a year. (I still have them, just dont wear them much after getting the roach pads)

Those pads are awesome for street stuff. They allow fairly unrestricted leg movement, and protect you from your pedals if you ride flats. I took many a spill with them, and they saved my legs and knees every time. One of my favoite times was when I was bombing down a hill into a parking lot, washed out on some gravel and skidded about 15 feet on my hands and knees. There was some guy with his dog in the parking lot and was amazed. He told me I needed to call the makers of those pads and thank them! :) So, for gravel, concrete, asphalt and the such, they are awesome.

Now the cons. First off, I could never get mine to stay up. I was CONSTANTLY pulling them up over my knee again. Then there is the woods. If you ride in a place that is just woods, leaves sticks and the such, you'll be perfect. If you ride around a lot of rocks, they are not the best pads to protect against hard rock blows. They are DEFINANTLY better than nothing, and I used them up at Winter***** and was fine, but I'm sure you have noticed they are pretty flexy, which is not the best thing for rocks.

Lastly, as with any armor WASH THEM! Because damn does armor stink!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
and oh yeah, I did start doing bigger/stupider stuff after gettin armor, but I'm just a stupid person :)

I like Rock Garden's slogan "Armor induced courage" :D

DO NOT rely on armor to save you though. Yes it will help in the event of a crash, but you can still seriously fvck yourself up!

Just be careful, and don't do what I do and you'll be fine :p

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
thanks for the info BigMike. and one other thing
"Winter*****"....very nicely put. It is better to completely shun someone than to verbally berate them. Just make em feel like they should feel. Useless