Quantcast

General Whistler thread

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
W

What? Are they rebuilding that step-up/drop?
At this point it looks like they are just removing them. I agree the feature wasn't that awesome but now its just a flat boring section before the fun starts again.
The step up at the end of Aline is a nice addition for sure. Its good to have a final feature to look forward to. The end of Aline has been a bit of a let down ever since they neutered the GLC drop so many years ago.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My buddy and I managed to jump in on an A-Line run behind R-Dog (I think he was teaching a class or something) and it's insane how much pop he gets. We both felt like we were going 70% of 'fast' trail speed and he was still just casually boosting the hell out of everything. I feel like I'm just ok at jumping and it's a reminder like most other stuff how much technique can help.
Yup, same at my local mole-hill.
We have a step-down into step-up combo that you can butter the rainbow bridge landing backside with a bit of boost, but I have seen Gully casually roll into it then tire-tap a tree three feet up above the landing. I ride the thing regularly and even after a couple of years, still have no fucking idea how he does it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
At this point it looks like they are just removing them. I agree the feature wasn't that awesome but now its just a flat boring section before the fun starts again.
The step up at the end of Aline is a nice addition for sure. Its good to have a final feature to look forward to. The end of Aline has been a bit of a let down ever since they neutered the GLC drop so many years ago.
That blows. It was kick ass to drop off the boxes to get speed into that next section.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Remember all that controversy when they were putting mini-landings half way along the jumps on A-Line? I'm sure there were videos of that somewhere.

Is that still a thing?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That blows. It was kick ass to drop off the boxes to get speed into that next section.
Yeah, I was bummed that it was gone. Had some fun/funny memories from that thing. At least you can still hit that little drop up to the far left just after it--plenty of speed for what comes after. There is also a lip to a pretty fair sized step down just to the right of that natural drop which would set you up pretty well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This thread makes me feel like it's 07 again or something, general Whistler chat rules. 5 more weeks or so and I'll be there...Upper Joyride to Clownshoes one of my favorite loops.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah all those slabs then into the woods for clownshoes...Are you talking about that big boy at the bottom they replaced the old drop w/ a few years back? Did you get to it before they put the downramp on it? I have a thing with heights and it really messed with me before then, I actually haven't hit it since then.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No, I was referring to a rather innocuous drop (kind of a mild hip) before the biggin you're describing. I think it's right before where the trail merges with Canadian DH. There's a small drop in front of it, and it probably gives you all the speed you need to clear the gap, but I threw a pedal or 2 at it, and went to flat (harshly). @SuboptimusPrime hit it just after i did and took heed of my mistake and hit it perfectly. It's really not that big unless you do something stupid like I did.

As for that big drop at the end with the wood roller , that messed with my head too for some reason. It looks massive as you're rolling up to the end, but you can obviously roll it like a poon (ie- me) or send it as far as you want. The whole lander profile seems plenty steep so it shouldn't be too harsh, but again, I'm a skeert bitch.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Hate that we missed Joyride--that was one of the few things that I really wanted to get to but never managed to ride. Next time....

Love the new Clownshoes though! Only thing I didn't like was what they did to the infamous drop out of the woods. I was bummed that the iconic drop was now decked all the way up to the end of the bridge--ie you can just make it a big ass roll in. It is much higher now so you could make it a very big drop. There is just something lame about dropping something that isn't really a mandatory drop...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
No, I was referring to a rather innocuous drop (kind of a mild hip) before the biggin you're describing. I think it's right before where the trail merges with Canadian DH. There's a small drop in front of it, and it probably gives you all the speed you need to clear the gap, but I threw a pedal or 2 at it, and went to flat (harshly). @SuboptimusPrime hit it just after i did and took heed of my mistake and hit it perfectly. It's really not that big unless you do something stupid like I did.

As for that big drop at the end with the wood roller , that messed with my head too for some reason. It looks massive as you're rolling up to the end, but you can obviously roll it like a poon (ie- me) or send it as far as you want. The whole lander profile seems plenty steep so it shouldn't be too harsh, but again, I'm a skeert bitch.
Oh yeah, that hip move is fun, that whole line is...I am the same way with the big guy, messes with me when rolling up to it, can't get my head over it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hate that we missed Joyride--that was one of the few things that I really wanted to get to but never managed to ride. Next time....

Love the new Clownshoes though! Only thing I didn't like was what they did to the infamous drop out of the woods. I was bummed that the iconic drop was now decked all the way up to the end of the bridge--ie you can just make it a big ass roll in. It is much higher now so you could make it a very big drop. There is just something lame about dropping something that isn't really a mandatory drop...
Yeah that is what I was mentioning a little above, when first replaced it was a drop. It was big, by far the biggest drop in the park (aside from sidetrack). Rollin was added later that summer.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Yeah that is what I was mentioning a little above, when first replaced it was a drop. It was big, by far the biggest drop in the park (aside from sidetrack). Rollin was added later that summer.

Damn, in that configuration that looks manly AF. Wish it was still like that (although I understand why not).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^Whoa. The old drop was always fun (and easy to overshoot), but damn. I don't really like the giant roll-ins either but I suspect most people were going around that bad boy.

Made it back to Whistler last summer for the first time in 4 - 5 years or so. Between being a bit rusty and the bigger features it took a bit of time to get up to speed, but regardless, so fun. The whole Top-of-the-World, Ride Don't Slide, etc. is really where it's at for me these days. Lord of the Squirrels is totally worth the climb, as are some of the Blackcomb trails. A DH bike is still best for the park but man you can have a ton of fun on an enderpo rig up there.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I wouldn't really suggest dropping that last ladder on Clown Shoes. I popped it last year and thought I was going to die. The roller is pretty steep, but I sure as hell won't catch air off of it again.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
When was the Clown Shoes drop changed? I hit it blind in 2005 during my second day at the park and my heart rate went from high to cero to even higher than high. When I stopped at the little incline opposite of it, I realized how big a feature it is. By far the biggest drop I ever did.
Looking at the posted videos I think it was a different thing back then. The runway seemed a bit shorter. But my memory may fool me here. Anybody known it back then too?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
When was the Clown Shoes drop changed? I hit it blind in 2005 during my second day at the park and my heart rate went from high to cero to even higher than high. When I stopped at the little incline opposite of it, I realized how big a feature it is. By far the biggest drop I ever did.
Looking at the posted videos I think it was a different thing back then. The runway seemed a bit shorter. But my memory may fool me here. Anybody known it back then too?
I hit it a bunch back in the mid-2000's then came back for the first time in years this summer. The new platform is much higher than the old (you can see the ruins of the old drop below you as you ride off). The rule is the same for both--don't go too fast or the drop gets real big in a hurry.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I hit it a bunch back in the mid-2000's then came back for the first time in years this summer. The new platform is much higher than the old (you can see the ruins of the old drop below you as you ride off). The rule is the same for both--don't go too fast or the drop gets real big in a hurry.
Ah, that explains a lot. I approached everything with the number one rule - speed is your best friend. Only when it's not. :clue:

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Some things of note at the park
They have installed irrigation on the lower two thirds of Aline and water the trail a couple times a day. Once as the park opens and again in the late afternoon.
There is a new lower section of Dirt Merchant under construction. It is in proportion to the upper part of the trail. I'm not sure if it will be an option or if the lower existing part of the trail will remain open. The new section looks huge and ridiculously fun, again much like the first section of DM. Due to be completed in a few weeks.
Disappointed I will be long gone by then.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Been in Whis for a week now and loving life. Tracks are running surprisingly well given how late in the season it is. Think the irrigation lines on A-line are working wonders. New Creekside trails are pretty fun, especially Insomnia and Delayed Fuse. Was a shame to see the alterations/taming down on Ride Don't Slide - not sure whether to blame that on the Creekside Expansion or the EWS round the year before... Westside trails are still awesome.

Anyway, probably the best thing so far was seeing Sam Hill take out the Garbanzo DH today. Been too long since he's won a DH race. Granted, the field wasn't that stacked (looked like a bunch of guys DNSed) but at least he's still got the DH skills for when this whole Enduro craze blows over. :thumb:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Been in Whis for a week now and loving life. Tracks are running surprisingly well given how late in the season it is. Think the irrigation lines on A-line are working wonders. New Creekside trails are pretty fun, especially Insomnia and Delayed Fuse. Was a shame to see the alterations/taming down on Ride Don't Slide - not sure whether to blame that on the Creekside Expansion or the EWS round the year before... Westside trails are still awesome.

Anyway, probably the best thing so far was seeing Sam Hill take out the Garbanzo DH today. Been too long since he's won a DH race. Granted, the field wasn't that stacked (looked like a bunch of guys DNSed) but at least he's still got the DH skills for when this whole Enduro craze blows over. :thumb:
Yes Samuel! Apparently he asked for a re-run because of the clown standing on the track on the inside line but marcelo crashed and his time held.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmerM1PB99o/?hl=en&taken-by=pinkbike

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just got back from a week in Whistler - first real laps there in 4 years. The place has changed a lot, not sure about some changes although I love the Creekside expansion. Did the Crankworx Challenger enduro for a laff which was actually an awesome fun event (200m total of climbing and lift access for stages - hell yeah). Going during Crankworx is still an utter shit show with trail closures and crowds but can't beat a chance to spot/meet/chat with your favourite riders.

Lift pass prices are getting pretty mental though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also, apparently Whistler are building a Steve Smith memorial WC DH track with input from the pros. Probably the best news I heard.