Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Maybe you should check out the Red Bull Road Rage races. They were held over a couple of years and people raced everything from stock road bikes over 4X hardtails to full DH bikes, all on road style tires though. As far as I can remember the first race was won by Myles Rockwell on a stock Giant TCR road bike. Not sure about the later events.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So reasons why this geometry isn't done aside, I honestly haven't given this a ton of thought other than noticing that a larger frame with a shorter stem feels a billion times more comfortable and handles way better than a smaller frame with a longer stem, and wondered how far you could push that idea.
Before I go back to my popcorn and deckchair, I don't think anyone said this explicitly so I will:

The reason this kind of geometry feels better to you is because you are (clearly) primarily a mountain biker. Humans rely on familiarity to feel comfortable, and a drastic change in geometry makes it harder to do this. Apart from some exceptions in this thread (HAB, Gary), I think most of us here, certainly me included, would feel more comfortable bombing some fast road rides on the type of geometry you describe. As a result, we'd be able to push harder and go faster than on a tradtional road bike.

I also think that Sandwich/Gary/HAB make valid points that road bike geometry isn't like it is without reason. Sandwich makes a good point that in aggressive XC racebikes, there's far less "DH geo trickle down" than you suggest - with good reason. For people who only ride road bikes (many!), there is no problem of switching familiarity, and in this case they can truly exploit the benefits of a bike with better geo optimisation for both body aero and climbing. Even if you borrow Lance's fridge, you're never winning the TDF on the frame you describe.

I think you'd enjoy the type of frame you describe. If you can get one made, I say go for it.
There's probably no need to try and change the world or accuse the road bike world of not knowing what they're doing, at least not on the RM DH forum. I know you just asked the question, I thought it was a reasonable one!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Udi - I think you're probably right that it's more comfortable for me because I'm used to it. On the other hand, It's not like everybody was used to modern DH geometry 15 years ago, but now people like it a lot. Things change, people try out and get used to new bike geometry. And its not like all the dentists 15 years ago were on DH bikes, and thats why they want trail bikes that ride like DH bike now - its because they tried them out and realized they handled better.

Gary - I don't live in that area anymore, and nor do I have that bike. My old bike was 19 lbs with a steel frame. My current ride is a 2019 TCR advanced pro. I live in a relatively flat area now days, so hitting 59 isn't gonna happen. I also recognize that there are more forces on the frame while going fast than from doing a wheely, but its different forces that the frame was designed for because you're pushing the wheel opposite directions. If you don't give a shit and like to wheely your tcr, its no skin of my back, you do you. I'm not comfortable with doing a wheely on any full carbon fork in the 350g range, but don't let that hold you back. You're probably even right on this - its probably just fine. I'm just not going to take that risk so I can post a video showing my dick size on the internet.

As far as what mfg's can build for "fast" bikes, the UCI definitely manages what people are allowed to race. They have rules on everything from how aero a frame can be to what seat angle you're allowed to run, which have a great deal of influence on what shapes and designs bikes have. Where is the incentive to build a fast bike that you can't race? Why would any mfg do that?

I guess I just wonder whether or not it's possible to make a road bike that has geometry that handles well, but is still fast. Maybe sizing a 6 foot rider on a 54 with a 140mm stem is the fastest configuration you can set up a bike for somebody, and roadies know exactly what they're doing and I'm totally wrong. But, that sizing configuration doesn't make a ton of sense to me, and I'd have a great deal if interest in riding a road bike that has a geometry better suited for good handling while maintaining an aero position. And to be clear, I brought up "DH" geometry, but I'm not really thinking of something as extreme as a 62 or 63 degree HA. Anyway, seems like nobody else here is interested in such a thing, so I'm gonna move along and probably do a custom run with a few buddies who are at some point here.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
is it the lycra that's caused the obsession with your penis size mate?
buy shorts with a thicker chamois or wrap a sock round it.

I guess I just wonder whether or not it's possible to make a road bike that has geometry that handles well, but is still fast.
They already do handle well. and with a decent rider go a fair bit faster than DH bikes generally do.
roadies know exactly what they're doing and I'm totally wrong.
This!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ps. Post a pic and spec of your 13lb TCR
I won't inform the UCI of your blatant weight rule infringement. honest!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Here's mine waiting to be ridden in the rain. It is carbon but sure as shit i'nt 13lb
TCR OMGwhere's the chairlift back down the hill.jpg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
@Udi, I do ride a road bike a bit and am pretty comfortable descending fast on it, but I absolutely think I'd be more comfortable doing that on a longer, slacker bike too. I just don't think I actually want one of those because the compromises inherent to that would likely detract from all the other things that I want a road bike to do. On mountain bikes I want to prioritize descending pretty heavily over climbing (if we're talking about a trail bike) or completely in the case of a DH bike. It's not that the physics change when you're on pavement vs dirt, but my priorities sure do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shorter stems and slacker angles in mtbs put the front wheel farther in front of your COG allowing it to better handle steep and technical terrain sacrificing weight on the front wheel for cornering in flatter sections. Not a big deal as trails have gotten wider, straighter and bermier over the years, not to mention it is pretty easy to shift your weight forward on a MTB. You could maintain for/aft COG with longer chainstays. There is no reason I could see why you would ever want to do this on a road bike.

What I think you might be looking for is touring bike geometry.

My old Fuji touring bike has a slightly longer slacker geometry than a road race bike. It accelerates like a pig and gets a little light on the front end for hard flat corners that would suck for something like a industrial park crit but kills it on long rides in the mountains and steep switchback descents.

In addition DH/trail bike geometry is optimized around a standing position vs a road bike optimized around sitting. XC bike geometry is somewhere in between and probably dependent on the user and setup.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
:stupid: my roadbike is a large or 56 with a 90 mm stem, I'm 179 cm and half of that is my inseam. I feel quite comfortable on it and wouldn't want a slacker HA in flat but fast turns. Also, I don't think it's HA alone, trail is the magic figure that adds to the equation. Tony Foale had a good article on his experiments with, behold, 90° HA motorcycles. They were awesome to ride, in certain circumstances. He is rebuilding his website atm and hasn't put all stuff up yet. Here is an excerpt. Good read.

https://motochassis.com/Articles/Balance/BALANCE.htm

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I've never wished for a slacker HTA on my road bike, regardless of how fast I'm going, except when I've made it do cyclocross duty as well. Since roads are graded so they can be driven on by low powered cars. The hills just aren't as steep. On trails you can definitely feel more over the wheel on road bike geo.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
hipsters on fixies and e-bikes
Commuters are changing now. You're my age so don't pretend you're 50. Fixies stopped being fashionable like 5 years ago. People still use them but now every company has a commuter road bike with flat bars and disc brakes. It's a reasonably big new market next to bikepacking and resurgence of cx

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Commuters are changing now. You're my age so don't pretend you're 50. Fixies stopped being fashionable like 5 years ago. People still use them but now every company has a commuter road bike with flat bars and disc brakes. It's a reasonably big new market next to bikepacking and resurgence of cx
Son I live in the burbs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I used to live in LA. I've had enough of cities.
There are other cities that actually work like cities instead of being random building diarrhea. You know with public transport and some walkability. LA always seemed a bit like a suburb in many areas . That's why I still didn't try to look for jurbs there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are other cities that actually work like cities instead of being random building diarrhea. You know with public transport and some walkability. LA always seemed a bit like a suburb in many areas . That's why I still didn't try to look for jurbs there.
Maybe my job / field isn't predominantly located in a city.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
https://ig.me/bCNKMRM9ydpGmD

Would I want an 800mm riser drop bar? Does anyone? I’d imagine the want for these bars (or the bike they’re attached to) is fairly near zero - but it’s a cool experiment and the builder (Dear Susan bicycles) is known for providing all kinds of weird solutions to the esoteric wants of riders who think they lie outside the scope of the big brands.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Would I want an 800mm riser drop bar? Does anyone? I’d imagine the want for these bars (or the bike they’re attached to) is fairly near zero - but it’s a cool experiment and the builder (Dear Susan bicycles) is known for providing all kinds of weird solutions to the esoteric wants of riders who think they lie outside the scope of the big brands.
EDIT: that post deserves to be right in the "This is what is wrong with The Industry ™" thread!!!

You could always have the best of both worlds... You know, like a MTB in drag...

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/venzo-road-bicycle-handlebar-drop-bar-ends/VZ-E04-010

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No bad feelings here though since I'm starting to feel you think I'm taking this too far and one more post and you will suggest I use one of those medical devices on myself.
i'm just confused as to why you can't grasp the concept that not everyone wants to live in a city.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

that's some kill list if i ever saw it

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i'm just confused as to why you can't grasp the concept that not everyone wants to live in a city.
Naah I can. Just some friendly ribbing. Nothing I've said was meant to be taken very seriously. I lived in the burbs half my life. As long as it's close to a forest where I can ride my bike that's a sweet deal in my book

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Naah I can. Just some friendly ribbing. Nothing I've said was meant to be taken very seriously. I lived in the burbs half my life. As long as it's close to a forest where I can ride my bike that's a sweet deal in my book
i've got two sets of (mediocre) trails within 10 minutes of my house.

shouldn't you be reading some terrible scripts? ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i've got two sets of (mediocre) trails within 10 minutes of my house.

shouldn't you be reading some terrible scripts? ;)
That's why I'm procrastinating. I may even have something good on my table but after reading crazy evangelical religious propaganda scripts my brain needs a rest. There are only so many movies where TV's Hercules plays an evil atheist I can take. How i wish I had something like "Room" or "Hereditary" again but in the offseason it's mostly crazy people.

As for the industry being dumb - remember that old bikepacking enduro bike ( I think it was Trek)? Right now I kinda understand it now. Want to ride from one boarder to the other on my bike and something that is better suited for tranporting your gear than my Ellsworth would be welcome.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Yeah. I've no idea where William gets his misinformation from.
The UCI has no jurisdiction what so ever to dictate what manufacurers roadbike designs can or can't be.
If you look at Giant. Possibly the largest seller of roadbikes in the world. Thier top selling roadbike isn't actually a race bike. It's the Defy. Most of the technology used in their race bikes is utilised but the frame geometry is purposely designed with a shorter reach and taller head tube for fuller figured men who can't reach down low enough to ride a TCR or Propel (Their actual race roadbikes).
The UCI absolutely has jurisdiction for what road bike designs can be in their race events, and they enforce it rigidly. Since the non-UCI affiliated road racing scene is tiny, and for all practical (read: marketing) purposes non-existant, brands will continue to offer UCI-compliant designs, because that's what Joe and Jane roadie see on the TV and want to buy. This brings the problem with road racing sponsorship into clear view- anyone can go ride a bike on the road, and anyone can watch the Tour de Steroids and think "I wouldn't be as fast as those guys, but I would love to ride those bikes in that countryside." This principle (not even a delusion, since it's actually possible) is what sells a ton of bikes, especially those high-zoot carbon Di2 models that no one outside of the pro ranks will ever put to proper use and nicely pad bike maker's bottom lines. So economically they have no good reason to deviate from the UCI's rules, because the races and pros who follow the rules sell the bikes.

Contrast this with the gravity side of mtb (yay for forum relevance), which has been driving mtb design for a while but thanks to the lack of restrictions we keep seeing meaningful geometry improvements year on year.

Last edited:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Where is the incentive to build a fast bike that you can't race? Why would any mfg do that?
Some people wanna go fast or have a good bike without giving a shit about racing. No different than buying an expensive MTB. They just want a reliable, fun, efficient, or lightweight bike. Bikes are not all about racing... maybe to some, but to others, its just about having fun. You can have fun on a cheaper $500 HT, but you can sure as hell have moar on a $3000 bike made to handle more abuse. Or the $200 road bike a Wally world wont hold a candle to @Gary's bike. Just because you don't race, doesn't mean you don't want a good bike.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Two things:

1. As mentioned at least twice already, slacker head tube angles on a road bike would be terrifying in wheel-chatteringly-fast corners. If you don't understand why, you should probably try to before making design suggestions.

2. If I am not too mistaken, head angle geometry has been getting progressively steeper on skinny tire bikes to keep up with performance needs...not the other way around.

Okay, three things:

3. I really miss Eurosport.