Quantcast

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They’ve offered it for like 15 years and no one cares.
Selling a heavier braking system to somebody because "it's stronger and works in the wet" seems like a tough sell when the potential customer is already taking their brakes off because they don't need or want them.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Selling a heavier braking system to somebody because "it's stronger and works in the wet" seems like a tough sell when the potential customer is already taking their brakes off because they don't need or want them.
A BMX racer will always want a good rear brake. I have seen monstrosities with 20mm rear axles, disc brakes and other weird stuff.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You're right. For approximately 1% of the BMX market, brakes are an important thing. Seems like we need some new standards

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks SirChomps-a-Lot! I was hoping somebody had started to do some experimenting. Those reviews sound promising. I'd love to see this carried over to a more aggressive fit and build - rather than saying "oh it handles well, it needs to be an all arounder" I'd love to ride something purpose built for road riding, with a much lower front end. Those look really cool.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I haven't seen any long, low & slack road _race_ bikes. I say have one made custom and let the haters hate.

You know I was thinking that I never wish for more stability on my road bike, but that's not true. When I'm getting blasted by cross-winds I often feel a bit unstable.

One other point I had is that modern geo isn't universally better on mountain bikes -- I rode this old skool trail the other day that was quite a chore on my enduro bike. I think a 2005 Heckler would have actually been the correct bike. I think we often forget that the trails we ride have been changing along with the geometry.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You know I was thinking that I never wish for more stability on my road bike, but that's not true. When I'm getting blasted by cross-winds I often feel a bit unstable.
It's often really really windy round here and most of the quiet roads I ride are surrounded by farmland. This can mean massive sidewind gusts across the roads while passing field entrances often taking people by surprise as they've been sheltered by hedges. A long and slack bike wouldn't really help with this. What really does help is pre-empting the gust and leaning into it, not using Areo rims and being a heavier rider. I've seen plenty little road jockeys with 50mm rims blown clean over to the other side of the road passing a field entrance they weren't expecting.

but, yeah.. by all means go have a full custom geometry frame made if you think you know better. There are still plenty bespoke road frame builders in business. It's not what I'd want but you'd get no hate from me.

Ps. Most of the roads around Glencoe are fairly good condition and fairly flat with any climb/descents being at mellow gradients. Certainly not filled with highspeed rough road descents anyway.
Whyte is an English brand and I wouldn't expect most English cyclists to know this nevermind who ever the rest of their market is.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's often really really windy round here and most of the quiet roads I ride are surrounded by farmland. This can mean massive sidewind gusts across the roads while passing field entrances often taking people by surprise as they've been sheltered by hedges. A long and slack bike wouldn't really help with this. What really does help is pre-empting the gust and leaning into it, not using Areo rims and being a heavier rider. I've seen plenty little road jockeys with 50mm rims blown clean over to the other side of the road passing a field entrance they weren't expecting.

but, yeah.. by all means go have a full custom geometry frame made if you think you know better. There are still plenty bespoke road frame builders in business. It's not what I'd want but you'd get no hate from me.
tl;dr - Gary is creeping on roadies ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One other point I had is that modern geo isn't universally better on mountain bikes -- I rode this old skool trail the other day that was quite a chore on my enduro bike. I think a 2005 Heckler would have actually been the correct bike. I think we often forget that the trails we ride have been changing along with the geometry.
yea there's still a bunch of that stuff around here, tight and techy, berms with too small a radius, etc. ie stuff you basically are dragging your brakes through where a 73 degree HA would be a benefit. drives me insane.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
but, yeah.. by all means go have a full custom geometry frame made if you think you know better.
I don't think anyone is claiming to know better. All I see here is questions. We need someone to actually try it or we'll never know if it works.

But my point about trails changing is that roads don't change that much. My guess is that mainstream road Geo is pretty close to optimal, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
thinking=/=claiming There have been a lot of thoughts

Road geo is fairly sorted.

That Whyte is just a slower more comfortable roadbike/fancy commuter... if that's the sort of thing you're looking for. fine.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
That Whyte is just a slower more comfortable roadbike/fancy commuter... if that's the sort of thing you're looking for. fine.
Agree, but because of tires and body position. Not because of head angle and sort stem, long TT.

Edit: and weight, and aero, and gearing.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, I haven't seen any long, low & slack road _race_ bikes. I say have one made custom and let the haters hate.

Kinda yes but most of the trails that are not suited for new bike are those old random trails there were walking paths full of random switchbacks. For the most part old trails still work on new bikes. At least Euro ones.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Haha, yeah it's hard to find a trail that's better on a 2005 bike. But there are a few of them out there.
Yeah but I hate those slow speed, try to not drag your bb over a pointy rock in the middle of the trail , twisty stuff that feel like you're pretending to be Danny MaCaskill

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
short stems with slack head tube and road bars (ie not that wide, the widest stock road bars i've come across are 460mm wide) and that's a recipe for speed wobbles.
Years ago I swapped out my 110 negative angle road stem with a gunt friendly 50 /15 - control at speeds over spinout (35+) can go from slight understeer to oversteer with no warning, the wobblies are self inflicted by overcorrection. You can counteract this a bit by using the drops and hanging a bit off the saddle for long descents.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I can't believe no one has asked this question yet and I've been waiting patiently long enough.

Who the f is this @chuffer dude?? He's been here since 2004, yet I've never seen him post in the DH forum, and now he's fully active in the single road bike thread on said DH forum. Did someone send him an alert beacon? I had a little stalk and everything. Crazy stuff.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I can't believe no one has asked this question yet and I've been waiting patiently long enough.

Who the f is this @chuffer dude?? He's been here since 2004, yet I've never seen him post in the DH forum, and now he's fully active in the single road bike thread on said DH forum. Did someone send him an alert beacon? I had a little stalk and everything. Crazy stuff.
Crazy stuff = slack head angles on a road bike.

In answer to your Q, this is one of the two sub-forums that actually has any daily updates. So, I mostly lurk around here hoping to read something funny from @kidwoo or the guy who does the weird WC DH summaries. Links to the Cathro videos are cool bonus. In my defense, I've posted in at least two other threads in the last fourteen years. Maybe. I think.

As for the beacon, yes, in fact, there is one. Right side of the menu bar has a little flag to show you when someone is talking about you.

Crazy stuff = slack head angles on a road bike.

In answer to your Q, this is one of the two sub-forums that actually has any daily updates. So, I mostly lurk around here hoping to read something funny from @kidwoo or the guy who does the weird WC DH summaries. Links to the Cathro videos are cool bonus. In my defense, I've posted in at least two other threads in the last fourteen years. Maybe. I think.

As for the beacon, yes, in fact, there is one. Right side of the menu bar has a little flag to show you when someone is talking about you.
A more than chufficient response!