Quantcast

Geometry/Sizing questions (MOB vs. ToP) mtbr x-post

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
First I'll start off with what I'm riding now and the listed geo:

DX xenia 22" top tube, 16.25" CS, 69 degree head angle, 70 degree seat tube angle.

Now what I don't like about it... It feels too long/big in general and it just feels way too long in the rear end trying to manual it. The bike also has a sort of high stand over for dj/park hardtail. Either new frame I'm looking at will have a shorter standover. I'm also planning on using it for more djs than park or street but would like something good over all.

I'm trying to pick up a MOB or a Trail or Park and am trying to keep it between these two for shop reasons. I'm 5'8" with short legs and a normal torso/arms.

I'm really trying to determine what size MOB/ToP whould be best suited. (I would thinkthe smallest of either). And also trying to determine if the slightly longer CS on the ToP would be noticeable (Mob is 15.625" & ToP is 15.75"). I would think either would feel way better than my Xenia frame does but I'm not sure how much of a change is geo is needed to really notice a different feel in a frame. I'm leaning towards a ToP strictly to save a few dollars as well.

Opinions/comments appreciated.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Either one will be a great improvement. You will love the 21.5" tt Mob. That is what I built. I am 5-9" and ride a 175mm profile crank.

IMO you will not notice any difference in CS length beteween 15.75" and 15.625". Also unless you manage to get the rear wheel 100% slammed, you won't attain the 15.625". Mine is exactly at 15.75" center to center.

Both have a nice low standover, great geometry and terrific quality. The main difference is the tubing grade and the bb. The Mob has a higher end butted tubing and a Euro BB. The ToP uses a Spanish BB. So if you go ToP you have to use a BMX bb and crankset.

For geometries the ToP HA is only 0.5 degree difference and the seat is 2. The Mob HA is the same as the DX. The other measurement is bb height compared to the DX. That will make a big difference like the CS length. A 1/2" shorter stay will make a noticeable difference in feel.

If I did not get my Mob I would have gone with a new ToP.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i used to ride a Xenia and i grinded the dropout slots further back to get the cs to 15.9". you get a grinding wheel and attach it to a power circular saw instead of a blade. then you simply have your mom, girlfriend, or hired assistant to hold the bike while you grind away and send sparks flying in their face. (or clamp your frame in a table vice).

but i agree with you that the MOB or TOP would still be more maneuverable bikes for you. btw, have you ever ridden a 24" like a tonic fall guy or USB molly? u should consider that option too.

Last edited:

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
i used to ride a Xenia and i grinded the dropout slots further back to get the cs to 15.9". you get a grinding wheel and attach it to a power circular saw instead of a blade. then you simply have your mom, girlfriend, or hired assistant to hold the bike while you grind away and send sparks flying in their face. (or clamp your frame in a table vice).

but i agree with you that the MOB or TOP would still be more maneuverable bikes for you. btw, have you ever ridden a 24" like a tonic fall guy or USB molly? u should consider that option too.
Ya know, I was toying with the idea of getting a 24 but I just built a really nice new set of 26" wheels. I could always re-lace them but my shop does Blk Mrkt and Transition so the not paying retail aspect of it might persuade me away from a USB or a Tonic as well.

Dirtbag... Thanks for the info too. Much appreciated. Like you said either frame will be quite an upgrade.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
The ToP stays are shorter than the Mob on the newest version: 15.5" slammed. TBC needs to update their website.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
The ToP stays are shorter than the Mob on the newest version: 15.5" slammed. TBC needs to update their website.
Oh Word? Good to know. Thanks. I think I may sacrifice the .3 lbs for the sake of saving a few dollars. The slightly lighter weight and the whole made in america is rather tempting with the MOB though. Decisions decisions.