Quantcast

Geometry

J

JRB

So I have a chance to buy a Haro X2 04' for $650. I will likely trade my Dean in as well. Anyhow, the TT is the same as my XC bike, as is standover. Is this a huge hinderance? It rides really well, I am also gonna go hurbin on it later, but just wondered. Should it fit kind of like the XC??? I rode the small hardtail, that is kind of the same geometry as the small X2, and it felt tiny. What say you monkeys??? Same size - good??? :think:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is a Haro X2 a freeride bike or a hardtail or what? If it feels comfortable to you that's all that matters loco. Post up some pics of said bike. :cool:

J

JRB

Just rode it down some stairs. Did a couple of 1 1/2 to 2 foot drops and rode some skinny curbs. Nearly stacked up on a set of stairs, but it felt nice. I think I will still ride the small, but I think this may be the one. I am still concerned about if I put a 6" fork on it, but I don't know that I want a 6" fork, and a more slack head tube. I am resizing a pic now.

J

JRB

Wumpus - can you post some pics if I email them to you??? addy???

J

JRB

Changleen said:
I like small bikes. It's up to you, dude. If you're gona be throwing it about, small is better.
Yeah - small feels a little weird. To "over the front" feeling it seems. I think I will still ride the small.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
loco said:
Yeah - small feels a little weird. To "over the front" feeling it seems. I think I will still ride the small.
Well, maybe look at some higher rise bars and maybe a similar frame with a slightly slacker head tube. However I think you'll get used to it pretty quick, and the smaller frame will allow you to move your weight back faster and farther than you can on a larger bike which IMO expands the range in which riding is possible. Did you see the Federal bikes Corey Martinez video that was posted here a while ago? If not PM me and maybe I can mail it you or something. Again, in the end it depends what you're really going to do with it. I'm into street and technical urban **** right now. Last time I rode a 'trail' which didn't have man made aspects such as flights of stairs was about 3 months ago. Wellington is awesome. I live like 1 mile as a crow flies from the city centre, but 200 meters higher and can take a 15 minute ride into town which involves Tdf type hairpins, off road singletrack, stairs, gaps and a ton of street. I'm running SS now too. It's tough going up but it's made up for on the way down and the time in the city. I tend to hike up flights of stairs to gain altitude now anyway rather than ride.

Wow that went off on a tangent.

Get a smaller bike. they're fun.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
i ride an '04 med x1. I'm 5'10" it seemed kind of big at first but now I don't think I'd want any other size. the x1 came with a 100mm fork but I just upgraded to 130mm and I feel much more comfortable with that "over the top" feeling you mentioned. You should be able to get it for cheaper than 650 too.

J

JRB

I post a damn bike thread and it goes to page 2??? Where the hell is IAB???

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I think HARO was the original innovators/patenters of the singlepivot design ?
Looks like TRAILBIKE geo to me. All-around..

But you can slam the seat & angle it back,+ throw on a 24" rear wheel too for 4x rippin for freeride trails !...Haro has improved through the years,just watch the shock pivot holes don't wallow out !!!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im 5' 10'' and i liked the medium allot. Although, i am used to small bikes and was mainly using it for dirt jumps. The bike is a pretty cool little f/s rig.

J

JRB

Still tossing the idea around. Thinking I want a 6" fork on it, so it will go another 1/2" in the standover dept. It does feel nice. I am thinking the small is nearly an inch shorter, but only saves 1/2" on standover. Not a good trade off. That said, I will likely ride a small, and may have something cooking with Orvan.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
John, I got your email.
Heather also posted the pics of the X2 I took last Saturday.
Here's the scoop. Heather (Shyrmp) bought it thiking that a size SM (Haro 15" size) would fit her. Soon as she took it out of the box, I silently smiled bec I knew I had another frame to build...uhm for me! :p
I built it up and sure enough it was waaaay too big for Heather. I have too many other bikes on my stable I prefer to ride so the X2 sat and sat...and sat.
Here are the pics.

going back to the fit:
I'm about 5'9" and I ride medium size on all frames, DH, XC, etc, comfortably and competitvely. The small Haro X2 geometry and general feel, is like a medium size frame to me. It rides big -hence it's been parked and will be kept just as a loaner bike if I ended up keeping it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
it really depends on what you like... for XC I like a longer stretched feel, for trail, I like a shorter bike that is easier to push around on tight trails.

J

JRB

I rode both tonight. Briefly, but rode none the less. The small is an inch shorter and I feel cramped up. Neither is perfect, but I think the medium will make a nice trail bike. It feels really good, but there is no standover. I got a hook up from Westy on an 03 Z1 FR SL today, so I will be rockin' the medium with a zoke on it. I wish the small would work and I could take Orven's on trade. I would prefer to have the Vanilla RC, and the Firefly sounds like a nice fork. Gonna pull all the lower end Shimano off and put the X0/X9 drivetrain on it. Will likely put some Avid levers on. I will be needing a more firm spring than the 600 lb that is on it. I may try to hook Orven up with some roadie stuff for some hucker stuff yet.

J

JRB

So - I bought the medium. It rides perfectly. I did many drops that I have refused to ride for some time. The fork I got from Westy is absolutely perfect for me. For less than $800, I couldn't be happier.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
SkaredShtles said:
That looks like a SC Bullit...... :think:

It does look like a bullit, almost exaclty. :D I bet it rides like a bullit with an improperly tuned 5th. I take that back. I bet it rides better than a bullit with an improperly tuned 5th. :eek:

edit; inside joke between me and Turd Ferguson

J

JRB

I never rode a Bullit with an improperly tuned 5th, but this rides nicely. I wish it had the Bullit top tube, but it is really fine. It really looks more like a Heckler to me. I would like to ride it with a platform shock, as it was a pig up long loose climbs today, but it was still fun. It doesn't go up heavy feeling, but I had a 26 tooth granny, which is a bit much for my out of shape ass right now. I think I am going back to a 24 for a while. Super fun bike for less than $800.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Maybe you should have it stripped and resprayed/coated/whatever. IMO it would look way cooler in a single colour. I'm thinking with all those black components dark green would look awesome.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
Maybe you should have it stripped and resprayed/coated/whatever. IMO it would look way cooler in a single colour. I'm thinking with all those black components dark green would look awesome.
I've had it 4 days, and it rides great. I am really not looking at it much while I ride. I don't mind the look though. It has a silver fork on it now.