Quantcast

Georgia 4x/DS? does it exist?

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
Hello, I'm new here.

I'm 19 and race bmx, as well as ride bmx street and park. I'm in Florida, but have been considering a move.

I've been interested in trying some 4x/DS for a while now, and wouldnt mind trying some DH. id play around with urban too, though there isnt any special facility needed for that.

So i ask, are there any 4x/DS courses in Georgia, preferably reasonably close to the metro ATL area.

Thanks!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Brett - this is DNBLC from Vintage. There's a killer practice DS course in Griffin (+/- 30 mins south of metro ATL) maintained by Chuck Pitts, last year's semi-pro national 4X champ. There's also a bunch of MTB DS/DJs at the Mansell trails on the north side of town as well as MTB jumps in Piedmont Park which is dead center in the middle of downtown.

Downtown ATL has a ton of street riding with little police hassle issues. There's also five tracks within 45 mins of downtown and practice DH stuff at the aforementioned Mansell trails. The nearest races are in Oak Ridge, TN, and the Charlotte/WS races talked about on Vintage - both about three hours from ATL.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The stuff in Peidmont got plowed and sounds like it will stay that way.

Jeff pretty much summed it up. There is big potential for DH and mtx in Georgia but nobody wants to do anything about it.

The Griffin mtx is definitely a pro caliber track. Chuck changes it around several times a year. Right now it is HUGE. But there is talk of a race there this winter so we will change it up. Chuck already has plans for the next layout.

A couple of the BMX tracks around ATL have a good downhill grade to them so they make for good mtx practice.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
So how'd WR go yesterday? We're heading out the door for Dauset.

BTW, Mal's frame came on Friday and I still can't believe how nice it is for the $$. Even came with an extra hangard, seatpost and touch up paint.

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
that city/town is Mansell trails localed? I'm tryign to run a yahoo map form a few places to it but it doesnt recognize Mansell.

Thanks.

Too bad it's not like NC where from what i can tell they have a good 4x/ds scene. But having soo many tracks open all the time is still a big draw for me in Georgia, it seems the Charlotte area isnt the greatest for raicng. One track open all the time is cool, but still nto like ATL....if only Gastonia was up and running.......

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
BrettR said:
that city/town is Mansell trails localed? I'm tryign to run a yahoo map form a few places to it but it doesnt recognize Mansell.

Thanks.

Too bad it's not like NC where from what i can tell they have a good 4x/ds scene. But having soo many tracks open all the time is still a big draw for me in Georgia, it seems the Charlotte area isnt the greatest for raicng. One track open all the time is cool, but still nto like ATL....if only Gastonia was up and running.......
Mansell Rd. in in the city of Roswell. It's a small undeveloped area between Mansell Rd and Old Alabama Rd.

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
There's also a bunch of MTB DS/DJs at the Mansell trails
i found out its only 29minutes from where we would be looking at! thats cool.

you said DS/DJ......does that mean they have some sort of DS track, or some jumps built in a dual slalom way??
Do they have all sizes of jumps there, like to start on and then eventually big ones?
Thanks.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
There is a little DS track that was never completed. It's pretty run down. The DJs are up the hill from the DS. They are good to learn on. The last 2 jumps get pretty big but they aren't super lippy/vert.
There are a couple other places that have just DJs. You have to get in with the right crowd, learn the hand shake and password. J/K

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
There are a couple other places that have just DJs. You have to get in with the right crowd, learn the hand shake and password. J/K
ok, can i guess they are nottoo much father away? like within 45minutes of marietta?

and the handshake trails are bigger?
thanks again.

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
Thanks! That's great, if i do go there I'll start saying random words and do odd hand shakes until one works and they take me. :thumb:

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
I dont see a "rockbottom forum" on this site. i tried google too, and got nothing, can you give me a link?

and "stuff"....4x/ds "stuff"? dj "stuff"?

You people and your secretive talk ;)

BrettR

Chimp
Sep 11, 2004
does SORBA include 4x, or only dh and freeride? It seems sometimes 4t is put in with DH some ( at least to an outsider such as myself) so i didnt know.
maybe, evenually ther ecould be a track at this park you guys are building?