Quantcast

Georgia Backyard Supercross Dual Slalom -

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well, I guess we will try to go one more year-just for those who have never made it to one of
The Supercross Dual Slalom races.

APRIL 25TH BACKYARD SUPERCROSS Dual Slalom Race.

Course changes will be made over the next month but, most will stay the same as last years race.
Probably change the top a little and the bottom a little.
But Same supercross rythm etc.
The course is a Y design where the top section is seperate lanes and the bottom section is like BMX or 4X one wide lane with different line choices top section more supercross bottom more moto.

Probably not going to pull quite the prize list of the past race either, but
2wheelfreaks and our sponsors should help as well as a couple old sponsors.

Keep and Eye out for a flyer SOON. Just wanted to get the post up with 5wks
notice - I know that's not a long time but, hopefully enough to plan ahead.

Not set in stone yet as I am still figuring on all the poss. variables but,
I want to do something different for this race other than timed qualies.
Funny cause I always say that good ole dual slalom is a perfect sport.
Of course that is if there is lazer perfect timing and using differential to determine the winner.

I'm trying to work it out where we use head to head racing as qualifying!
I know my true potential never fully comes out just racing the clock,
and considering that the hand and stop watch can be slightly off the truth!
What I am working with would be a 3 Heat Moto system where each round
would qualify you into the winners or losers bracket. After three the undefeated would move to the final rounds and the remaining racers would
battle through a couple rounds to determine who will meet the others in the finals.

I feel this would give someone who lost every race at least 3 races to get
their monies worth. Plus it should give some all round matchups through out
to see who's really best that day. Also eliminates the clock and the use of
a couple hours to qualify to go ahead and get head to head rubbin' elbows.
I was thinking the final four would do best 2 out of 3 runs takes the win.
That would make for like 9-10 head to head races for the top 4!

I would like to know what people think of the head to head qualies instead of the stopwatch?

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah, basically the 3 heat qualifier would work similar to what we had talked about with 4x a few years ago Terry.
First round riders would draw a number out of a hat from your class. Win go to the winners bracket,
lose go to the losers bracket. Second round would run winners against each other and losers against each other. Third round the same.
Then the fun begins with figuring it all out. But, If you win all three simple, you
have a spot in the top 4 for the main which would qualify the top 8 riders.
If you lose all 3 you get to watch the others battle it out to get a spot in the main 8.
Then top 4 vs. bottom 4. Problem is who gets 1,2,3,4 if all are undefeated and 5,6,7,8 if there are ties in points?
We could just everyone race everyone but that may take 20 runs to figure out.
I thought about timing differentials between head to head to make everyone race every race out but, still involves the clock.
I thought that once we are in the main we could look at the points of the racers
who were taken out by the undefeated. So if you won all three and maybe all three of your oponents made the bottom bracket then you would be top ranked. Might work might not! Could still be ties.
The biggest thing I haven't like in the past is to see my races turn out like alot of Y course races.
Higher qualifier gets lane choice, inside is faster so 9-10 times he wins.
With a stopwatch timing and .12 differences in qualifying it just seems
like some other races I have done where the finals are just going thru
the motions to find the riders finishing just like qualies.
I will try to make the course better that way to where lanes are hopefully
as close to even as possible. Just hard to do!

Last edited:

brap081189

Chimp
Feb 26, 2009
heck yea man im stoked to hear you got it goin again this year. hopefully this year i wont wreak 6 hundred times haha.lookin forward to comin down!!take pictures of the course when you work on it. that would be sweetttt:picsstfu: haha

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Terry is the ETSU course still in good shape?...Chuck look forward to your race....
Thacker. Decent. the guys have been working on the DS and pump track, and the dual is good. I have started riding and we have several others getting up to speed!

Chuck- Could continue the numbers from a hat to decide the top 4 bottom 4. Either way the fastest four would have the advantage.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Sounds great, if the weather is good I'm going to try and come down if thats cool with you guys...I have a lot of relearning to do...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Awwh Thacker you know how to ride. Just need to pedal some and get off the throttle. haha

Yeah-Terry I guess you could throw the bottom four in the hat and have the top four pick their oponents
May not have to use the hat much because in most cases you would have at least a couple
riders from each bracket to have raced already in the qualies, so rule would
state not to have to race again until maybe top 4.
I don't know there are alot of scenarios that could play out and the whole purpose is to take any doubt of the clock or luck out of the equation.
I guess the worst that could happen is a couple guys have to race an extra round to figure it out.

I think the heat style would make for some of the best dual racing though.
Think about it, there wouldn't be as much sandbagging in early rounds as when
you match up 1 vs. a 16 seed where you "generally" only see the best races between the
top 4 guys late in the day. Sometimes brackets only allow a top match up or two through out the race.

Qualies would feature some good match-ups and allow say top 4 racers to all get a shot at each other
throughout the day to really see who stands up head to head!
Would also allow the mid pack racers to get experience and battle it out with someone their own speed,
instead of getting eat up in the first round and sitting down discouraged.
It all "Sounds" good, doesn't mean I think it beats real slalom.

Either way it'll fair out way better than college football. - Hahhaha

Last edited:

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
I deffinitly need to pedal some my legs are a long way from being ready to race, but I do hope to make it out for your race...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
My course is long- 37-40 second Pro times, but not alot of pedaling-just a few short burst and everything else flows with your speed.
You make the haul I got a spot to sleep for you and Terry. It would be good to see yah country a$$!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
dangit! clemson changed their date and i cant' go; the Big Creek Race will be rained out and now this?!!! i'm friggin scheduled to work a 15 hour shift during furniture market on the 25th at time and a half pay!!!

man chuck, i REALLy wanted to come see what all the hype was about...i've heard so much good stuff about your track. oh well, can't have it all i suppose :D

that's it! i need a clone. ;)

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah, get that cloned thing figured out let me know. I want a taller one.

The course is always there, just give me a pm if you're ever comin' through
the area, not far from 75 if you take a vacation to Florida.

Vaderhawk

Chimp
Mar 27, 2009
Sup Chuck...Yeah, gunna try and make it.
Will try and get some other dirty southers to make the trip up!

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
Griffin, GA 30223 - I will give directions on the flyer coming soon.
yo chucky! you should take some pics of the new stuff.... :picsstfu: haha

to everyone else- you gotta come race, chuck has put a lot of work into the new sections, this course is going to be the best yet! you're missing out if you don't show up! ill be there fo sho :beerjam:

ethan

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Thanks for the props Ethan, and the help with the top berms.
I have been working on the course daily and haven't had the time or
energy to produce a flyer yet but, will post one very soon with pics
of the freshly groomed dirt! mmmmh, dirt is good....

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
This sounds really cool. At least couple of us Nashville guys are going to try to make it down, and I'm going to try to recruit some more Knoxville guys as well.

What are the race fees, and what time will everything start on Saturday morning?

I'm really interested in getting a track built in our neck of the woods, (especially since BMX is very big here so we'd get a lot of cross over), so I'll have a bunch of questions about what you've done! Very cool man, thanks for putting this on.

Sep 24, 2006
Dirrrrty!
Chuck, looking forward to getting back out there. I know I missed last year's race.

As for the qualifying...I kind of liked the two timed runs for your seeding. I know I got tangled up twice with guys my running through those berms. I guess I'm just old and fear getting tangled up and hurt in a qualifying round when it's just being used for seeding.

Regardless of the format...it'll be dope. I'm there.

----------------
Listening to: Neil Fallon - American Waste

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Since this is my first dual slalom race, I'm not quite sure how to set up my bike. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon, and I typically run it as a single speed. Since I run it for just about everything I have a 32t chainring on it right now.

My question is, is it worth it to set it up as a 1x9, and if so, should I go ahead and see if I can get a larger chainring? When I watched the video I saw that there isn't much pedaling except at the start.

If I run it as a single speed, what gearing would be good? I'd love to keep the chainring as a 32 if possible, but I should be able to find a good variety of freewheels locally.

Thanks for the help. We're just coming down to have fun, but I'd like to at least see if I can be competitive!

-Tryon

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Damn Chucky! wish it was like a month or so later, i'm still stuck in school on saturdays till the middle of may. gonna miss all the good races. already missed clemson, gonna miss this and massanutten. atleast we got a DH series back in NC this year!!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Since this is my first dual slalom race, I'm not quite sure how to set up my bike. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon, and I typically run it as a single speed. Since I run it for just about everything I have a 32t chainring on it right now.

My question is, is it worth it to set it up as a 1x9, and if so, should I go ahead and see if I can get a larger chainring? When I watched the video I saw that there isn't much pedaling except at the start.

If I run it as a single speed, what gearing would be good? I'd love to keep the chainring as a 32 if possible, but I should be able to find a good variety of freewheels locally.

Thanks for the help. We're just coming down to have fun, but I'd like to at least see if I can be competitive!

-Tryon
Not sure exactly what size ring to tell yah, that could depend person to person.
I would say something you are comfortable at a bmx track with.
I use like a 38t frnt. 19t starting and drop to a 17t gear finishing.
Hope that helps.
32t with about a 12-14t maybe??

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
That does help man, I appreciate it. I'm still considering the 1x9 route too. This is gonna be a fun race!

Out of curiosity, if it gets rained out, will your reschedule?

TryFour

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Haha, OOPS! I COMPLETELY take that back! Pretend I never even mentioned it. Just wanted to make sure that such a cool event will happen this season, even if the worst case happens. Unlike a dh or xc race, I'm guessing that something like this would be more like bmx and not so much fun, (or good for the track), in the wrong conditions.

Doesn't matter, we'll be there when it happens!