Quantcast

German and Austrian Riding

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I am planning a pre-Eurobike trip and looking for the best spots to go to experience German and Austrian riding (bikeparks, DH, even open to some Enduro stuff), ideally a bit of tourism as well. Off the beaten path styles of cultural experience, etc.

Suggestions? Willingen, Winterberg, Schladming, and more what's hot, what's not?

Thanks!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Winterberg for sure. Dh, slopestyle, ns, nice park tracks.
Schladming for full on dh. Wagrain bikepark is pretty close too.
Bad Wildbad for full on dh crazy rocky course.
Leogang and Saalbach is pretty decent (leogang is crowded so a beat beaten).
If you can go a few hundret km further Maribor is not far from the Austrian Border(50km from graz, 150km from Schladming if I'm not wrong)

I'm not sure about insbruck - I've seen the trail without my bike 3-4 years ago and some of the wooden features were epic though I wonder if it's still that way. Wait for the German and Austrian guys to post.

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
There's also Leogang (where the white style contest happened a few days ago) >>vid<<

And for some less hardcore DH you can also try Semmering pretty close to Vienna and >>here's<< a little taste of it in the summer.

Also you could stop by Shambhala downhill park near Sopot in Bulgaria,
a teaser.

But if you are trying to go on a trip the next couple of months I would bring my ski's/snowboard with me :P

I wish you best of luck and much fun in your trip around Europe ;)

P.S. if you plan to pass through Romania by any chance I would gladly point you to a few nice places :)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Shambala is really faaaaaar away from austria and as pointed out he'll be visiting for eurobike so I'd be very suprised there would be any snow in the parks ;)

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Yeah semmering is a awesome place to ride,excellent tracks,fast gondola and good lift prices.The Downhill track is pretty awesome 1900m of pure fun
http://videos.mtb-news.de/videos/view/4155

Winterberg like norbar said is a must,it has everything
Todtnau i never been there but from what i heard the DH track is pretty hardcore

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah semmering is a awesome place to ride,excellent tracks,fast gondola and good lift prices.The Downhill track is pretty awesome 1900m of pure fun
http://videos.mtb-news.de/videos/view/4155

Winterberg like norbar said is a must,it has everything
Todtnau i never been there but from what i heard the DH track is pretty hardcore

I've heard many good things about semmering but the track looks pretty basic. I like it though as it's relatively wide compared to some of our local trails (1/2 dh tracks around here is singletrack :/ ). Must try it during some longer weekend.

btw. In what part of Germany is eurobike? Maybe some Czech spots would be good too?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I've heard many good things about semmering but the track looks pretty basic. I like it though as it's relatively wide compared to some of our local trails (1/2 dh tracks around here is singletrack :/ ). Must try it during some longer weekend.

btw. In what part of Germany is eurobike? Maybe some Czech spots would be good too?
The Semmering DH Track is a hell lot of fun, sweet berms and a lot of good jumps (including a raod gap) and even some technical sections in the woods... its not as steep and gnarly as Schladming or the Leogang DH track but its worth a trip for a weekend for sure

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Sam, if you decide to ride Semmering, give Juraj a call and he will come and meet up with you as Bratislava is only about a slow 2 hour car drive away and it is basically his "home" bike park.

michar

Chimp
Nov 16, 2009
when you visit germany, winterberg is a lot of fun for some days but not for riding there a week or longer! bad wildbad is one of the best places in germany to be for pure downhill, there are only two very hard and steep downhill tracks with a LOT!! of stones and roots and a very good 4x /fun track! When you visit bad wildbad you can also go to todnau where you can find a very good oldscool dh track! not for away (maybe 200km) is in france bikepark lac blanc...very very good park for downhill and freeride with a very good and fast uplift!! bad wildbad is opened when there is no snow..the other parks do there opening about april/mai...

Craig Quik

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland
I've ridden at Leogan almost a couple of years back - it's worth going to, but doesn't have the largest variety of trails, but I beleive Kaprun is nearby. It's also close to Munich, since you said you'll be in Germany too.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Have you checked out the Jan. '10 issue of Dirt Magazine? They have 50 Euro riding spots, with a few in Austria and Germany.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Sam, if you decide to ride Semmering, give Juraj a call and he will come and meet up with you as Bratislava is only about a slow 2 hour car drive away and it is basically his "home" bike park.
Yeah, once we get a bit more of itinerary I will let you guys know.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Yeah, to clarify... we will be in Germany for the last week of August. Ironically we are leaving the USA when the world cup comes here.

Eurobike starts the first of September in Friedrichshafen, on Lake Constance (Bodensee)... but we will have a van for travel, so all of Germany is fair game.

Thanks!

Binaural

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sydney Australia
Schladming is awesome - massive drop, nasty lines. Definitely hit it up if you're passing through Austria. There's a train station there so it's easy to get to for a traveller.