Quantcast

German biker wants to come working with bikes to usa..who nows jobing adress??

psycho4you

Chimp
Apr 16, 2005
In Siegen (Germany)
Hi guys
i have a question and hope you can help me.

i´m an 19 years old boy from germany and have a specialized question..
in summer I will finish my work as a social worker in our lokal hospital and want to come
to amerika/canada and do some work for one year or less.
At the moment I preparing to get a visa for the travell , but I really dont now where and what to work..
I love mountainbiking and and working on mountainbikes and have really good skills at reparing and preparing
all kind of bikes and riding , too. So i would love to do a job that have something to do with bikes like reparing in
a mtb-shop or preparing trails or go riding with others , helping on tours or in bikeparks..
I have really good kondition and are save on all kind of mtb-trails
I have the money for the flight too you but not more..
it would be really cool if you as a big lokal bikeorganisation could ask some places that maybe need help and
could offer me a place to sleep for a short time..

I have a driving licens too and are open for all kind of work,people and things..
And worked in our lokal bikeshop for a month and had an mechanical education
please mail back and thank you for your work..

greetings from germany

tobias arhelger
(www.xmtb-siegen.de)

iv you now adress please post here or write me an e-mail an 4tob@web.de

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
were not exactly a big local bike organization. Ridemonkey has members from EVERYWHERE around the world. Do you have a specific destination in the USA? Any particular state you would like to come to?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Ja, das ist sehr kuhl. What part of Germany are you from? If you want bikes, move to California or Whistler. Your skills will be put to the test up there. You can tell you are from Germany because you spelled local with a k. Haha. Schweet. Scheisse.

psycho4you

Chimp
Apr 16, 2005
In Siegen (Germany)
Hey whats up here..I just asked a simple question and in a german forum they would have answer correcly and trie to help instead of making stupid and silly answers..
I would like to come to maybe: Kalifornia/Arizona/Moab or mor in canada like whistler /pemberton.. things like this

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
psycho4you said:
Hey whats up here..I just asked a simple question and in a german forum they would have answer correcly and trie to help instead of making stupid and silly answers..
Here is the biggest difference. Germans answer correctly, Americans say whatever they want.

:D

I'd take a trip all over the country if I were you. Germany is smaller than California. America has a little of everything, I would see as much as I could before stopping in one place.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Pau11y said:
Somebody hook this kid up in a shop. A 19 year old w/ balls enough to scoot across the "Pond" to sample other cultures deserves a chance. Pretty damn good first post too!
Yeah, good call mate. Give herman a go.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
I know a shop in Boston that is always looking to hire but while there is some good riding its got nothing on Fruita

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
psycho4you said:
:eek: :mumble:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
yo wait... i did kinda a similar thing when i was 17, but i did it for 4 years and went to college in the meanwhile. my recomendation on this is:

there is this little issue of burocracy and "work permits" that you might need to work out first (and they are pretty hard to get), or work and getting paid under the table.

if you get on a no-visa like europeans, then you can only stay less than 6 months at a time, and usually if you try to stay 6 months, then go out to mexico and enter back, the dude at the airport/border will kick you out. plus you wont be able to get a driver license (basic need in the US), or a SS number, nor any US issued ID.

i think getting a student visa for an english course for 1 year in some school or community college close to where you wanna be, and then enroll only the first 2 months might be the best way. it will cost you 2 or 3 thousand bucks for 2 months, but it will allow you to get a SS number, to get a US driver license, and more importantly, will allow you to stay in the US for one year straight with no problems with the law. it would be WAY easier to land a job with a SS number and a US issued drivers license, and it would be without any papers...

just my opinion...

psycho4you

Chimp
Apr 16, 2005
In Siegen (Germany)
ok , but on which school should i go and how to get a "student" visa??but the idea is still good and I want to improve my language skills too , and after school go working with bicycles , and riding too.. does somebody nows a school in near of something like a big bicycles shop or park in canda or usa??

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
psycho4you said:
I would like to come to maybe: Kalifornia/Arizona/Moab or mor in canada like whistler /pemberton.. things like this
Don't sweat it man. You have to realize that 3/4 of the content of this site is completely useless and intended to be humorous, not serious.

...and getting the visa is a good idea. Whistler dosen't take American Express.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
psycho4you said:
ok , but on which school should i go and how to get a "student" visa??but the idea is still good and I want to improve my language skills too , and after school go working with bicycles , and riding too.. does somebody nows a school in near of something like a big bicycles shop or park in canda or usa??

schools are everywhere.
just pick the place where you wanna go first. i dont know much about canada, but there are a few schools in the vancouver area that offer english classes.

in the states, california would be the best place to do that, but also one of the most expensive. washington state might be another good idea, since you can jump to canada to bike in whistler or colorado.

to get the student visa, you will need first to decide which school you want to go to, then write them (to the intl students office) an email and ask them for their "application package for ESL for international students".. they´ll mail you all the instructions, with all the papers need to be done... its fairly easy to get a student visa for english classes....
usually you´ll need to an affidavit, and a bank letter stating you have whatever one year of school costs in advance... (but i dont know if that is a requirement for europeans too)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know the hotels in Las Vegas like to hire foreign employees too, they also have their country of origin below their name tag. Bootleg canyon is nearby and Lake Tahoe is a reasonable drive as is Big Bear. I think you really need to figure out what it will take to get a work visa though, most places won't hire you unless you have one, and you won't be able to stay in most apartments unless you've got a line of credit, which means you'll need a social security number and a job. If you really want to enjoy your trip, I'd suggest saving for another year or so and have several thousand dollars you can use to travel the entire country without having to worry about finding a few bucks for your next meal.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Kornphlake said:
I know the hotels in Las Vegas like to hire foreign employees too, they also have their country of origin below their name tag. Bootleg canyon is nearby and Lake Tahoe is a reasonable drive as is Big Bear. I think you really need to figure out what it will take to get a work visa though, most places won't hire you unless you have one, and you won't be able to stay in most apartments unless you've got a line of credit, which means you'll need a social security number and a job. If you really want to enjoy your trip, I'd suggest saving for another year or so and have several thousand dollars you can use to travel the entire country without having to worry about finding a few bucks for your next meal.

what i think about those hotels in vegas, and whistler do is something called the J visa thru exchange programs, which allows college students from abroad to work a summer in the US.... might be worth checking that...

otherwise, getting a work visa is so hard that just dont count on it....

going to an ESL program might be your best option.. everything including meals, housing and tuition goes for as little as 2 grand a month, plus you´d have time to ride and meet lots of people...
just save your money in germany and go to the states with 5 grand euros and it may last you for a semester.....