Quantcast

Germantown Cycles Shuttle

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
Since last weekend was so rediculous, meaning the amount of time we spent getting in and out of the vehicles, this weekend we are going to limit the number of riders to 9 or 10. If you went last weekend and want to go again, just pm me. We'll keep this ride a little more "selective" about who we invite. I'm all about group rides with all levels of riders, but...The shed is not the place to go on your first mountain bike ride in a couple years, and the "Trek Jetta" probably is not the best equipment to risk your life on...and worse, make us carry you out after you kill yourself.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
This Sunday? Isn't the shuttle doing something zany like running at the ass-crack of dawn? That's just not freeride, guys! ;)

I'll be up there Sunday @10 per the usual arrangements I think. Been away too long (read: 2 weeks) and am going through detox shakes. Heh. At least my car is running again. Hooray!

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I heard about the shuttle too late last weekend. I really want to check out the shed. what time are you guys leaving the shop (7 again?) and about what time will you get back?

I believe this was said before...................

BUT
What it is NOT is a recreation area. A recreation area or a park required considerably more management and bunches of resources. They (mainly being the OWNERS, the City) want it kept on the down low, to avoid it becoming a recreation area or a park, or a destination, so they dont have to pump money and resources into it. At one point in a healthy economy, there was talk of selling portions to the state to expand Gambrill, but that collapsed along with the economy. Right now they are reducing and restructuing the State Park Service, because of severe budget cuts, believe me, I also sit on the State Parks advisory commission. So aquiring land is not high on the priority list.
The Watershed is on the DNR web site because it is a WMA and it is managed as a wildlife area (or rather as a place to go kill it) and thus ends up on their list, to let hunters know about it. That is about all that the people who answer the phones know about it. They do not know about these (yes, verbal) agreements that were made between the users, the owners and the managers. If you like I will put you in touch whith the person at DNR who does manage it and knows all the history, or the director of DPW, who is the rightful owner. Basically, we are welcome to use the watershed as we do, but they dont want it turned into a park. They best way they (the owners) feel to accomplish this is to keep the 'wild, wild, west' approach they now have in place and keep it a big mystery. We have repeatedly attempted to get a land management (trail management) plan written for this area, to no avail. Only wildlife management and water management plans exist. No one wants to put the resources into it. The City doesnt want to be bothered with it, and the DNR doesnt own the land, so they dont have a vested interest. I know for a fact that the City of Frederick has gone after organizations like PATC for putting circuit hikes into pamphlets and books, and made Scott Adams remove that section from his book about mtb'ing. I also know that a certain person who mapped the entire place with a GPS and produced a very fine map and was trying to sell it, the City went after him and got him to stop. What legal preceedent they used, I do not know, but I do know they sent the city lawyers after him, and he has not sold the maps for quite a while. The girl on the phone stating they are working on a new map, is another blanket statement, as I know DNR is out doing mapping of trails and boundaries of all the state parks, and I believe the WMA's will be included, but this is mainly for internal reference and boundary disputes, rather than public dispersal.

KD1569

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
That guy was not brought there by anyone from the shop. He was brought there by someone who new where the shed was. Again, we are going to be very selective about the people we ride with at the shed. And yes, we do go at the buttcrack of dawn! FOOTBALL SEASON AND MY KIDS would be the reason for that! Oh yeah, and my wife told me to be home early too.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I plan on heading upto the Shed this weekend. My injuries from my crash during Mahem at Snowshoe are pretty much healed up, and this weekend will probably be my last chance to ride for a month. So if I could hook up with the shuttle I'd really appreciate it. What time will the riding begin?

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
This isn't related to riding at the shed, but since you are both on this thread I just wanted to relay that Denny just found out that he had "multiple fractures" in his wrist from his crash at Snowshoe.

The pain didn't go away for two weeks so he finally decided to go to the doctor. I feel bad for him.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
oldskoolbiker said:
I plan on heading upto the Shed this weekend. My injuries from my crash during Mahem at Snowshoe are pretty much healed up, and this weekend will probably be my last chance to ride for a month. So if I could hook up with the shuttle I'd really appreciate it. What time will the riding begin?
Last week we got there at 7:50, then the riding began at 8:15 or so.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
oldskoolbiker said:
This isn't related to riding at the shed, but since you are both on this thread I just wanted to relay that Denny just found out that he had "multiple fractures" in his wrist from his crash at Snowshoe.

The pain didn't go away for two weeks so he finally decided to go to the doctor. I feel bad for him.

wow..I figured it was just a bad sprain or something along those lines, the things 10 seconds of riding can do.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
anyone have a 28.6 seatpost i can borrow? :D seems like every year i need a part during interbike when noone in the industry is working... :mad:

i'll hopefully join up with you guys at some point for an early AM ride.now the kiddo's here the only way i can get to ride is to get up before dawn.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah I figured Denny broke his wrist when I saw it swell up nicely like it did. I've broken my wrists and arms a few times (you guys rode with me, can you imagine me on a skateboard?!) so I know what it's like. My list of sports/fighting related injuries is pretty long, though *knock on wood* nothing too major beyond a couple busted noses, limbs, and tailbones. Hope he gets that wrist some attention finally. :thumb:

So what happened last weekend? Someone eat it and end up getting carted out? That's a bummer.

Weather is looking cherry for Sunday so I'll definitely be up there. I'll be sure to tuck myself into bed Saturday night early, free of alcohol poisoning (unlike last Saturday) and get up super early so I can make the 1 hour haul.

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
KD1569 said:
I believe this was said before...................

BUT
What it is NOT is a recreation area. A recreation area or a park required considerably more management and bunches of resources. They (mainly being the OWNERS, the City) want it kept on the down low, to avoid it becoming a recreation area or a park, or a destination, so they dont have to pump money and resources into it. At one point in a healthy economy, there was talk of selling portions to the state to expand Gambrill, but that collapsed along with the economy. Right now they are reducing and restructuing the State Park Service, because of severe budget cuts, believe me, I also sit on the State Parks advisory commission. So aquiring land is not high on the priority list.
The Watershed is on the DNR web site because it is a WMA and it is managed as a wildlife area (or rather as a place to go kill it) and thus ends up on their list, to let hunters know about it. That is about all that the people who answer the phones know about it. They do not know about these (yes, verbal) agreements that were made between the users, the owners and the managers. If you like I will put you in touch whith the person at DNR who does manage it and knows all the history, or the director of DPW, who is the rightful owner. Basically, we are welcome to use the watershed as we do, but they dont want it turned into a park. They best way they (the owners) feel to accomplish this is to keep the 'wild, wild, west' approach they now have in place and keep it a big mystery. We have repeatedly attempted to get a land management (trail management) plan written for this area, to no avail. Only wildlife management and water management plans exist. No one wants to put the resources into it. The City doesnt want to be bothered with it, and the DNR doesnt own the land, so they dont have a vested interest. I know for a fact that the City of Frederick has gone after organizations like PATC for putting circuit hikes into pamphlets and books, and made Scott Adams remove that section from his book about mtb'ing. I also know that a certain person who mapped the entire place with a GPS and produced a very fine map and was trying to sell it, the City went after him and got him to stop. What legal preceedent they used, I do not know, but I do know they sent the city lawyers after him, and he has not sold the maps for quite a while. The girl on the phone stating they are working on a new map, is another blanket statement, as I know DNR is out doing mapping of trails and boundaries of all the state parks, and I believe the WMA's will be included, but this is mainly for internal reference and boundary disputes, rather than public dispersal.

KD1569
Yeah, you greenhorns and bike shop spammers should PM each other instead of posting invites!

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
rpk1988 said:
Hey watch it bub!
im sure you will meet that special boy someday, and riding will be your second favorite thing! :heart:

Corey, did i meet you at fleet street cycles a few months ago?

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
Gunther said:
Yeah, you greenhorns and bike shop spammers should PM each other instead of posting invites!
your not invited!
besides, if they don't know where the shed is, i'm not going to be the one to show them. we are only offering a ride back to the top! I think everytime i've ridden the shed i have seen groups of 7-9 riders. what the f@#*? Why all the hostility?

Gunther

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
VDfree said:
your not invited!
besides, if they don't know where the shed is, i'm not going to be the one to show them. we are only offering a ride back to the top! I think everytime i've ridden the shed i have seen groups of 7-9 riders. what the f@#*? Why all the hostility?
Naw, I'm not hostile, you would have to be the O.G. to understand.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
VDfree said:
im sure you will meet that special boy someday, and riding will be your second favorite thing! :heart:
What the hell are you talking about. I am guy you jerk. I was just commenting on how he was talking about age seeing that I am 17.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
rpk1988 said:
What the hell are you talking about. I am guy you jerk. I was just commenting on how he was talking about age seeing that I am 17.
And a smart 17 year old you are...it was a joke! My bad though, it was directed at BRUNETTES, not you...sorry

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Change of plans. Gonna pass.

My gnarcore shredding will be sorely missed, I know. No one skids to a stop on the lip of a jump or lowers their bike down a big drop quite like me. They call that "style", boys. ;)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
sorry we missed you guys. we were at the hamburg trailhead around 8 but left shortly after due to cranky XC hammerheads. :D we rode till around 12 and saw you guys sitting at the bottom of the drop trails... but we were exhausted and in a bit of a hurry to get home. great day of riding!

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
yeah, we showed up about 15 minutes late. we had 3 flats on our ride so we did't get as many runs as we would have liked, but a good day still.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Old School and I were on the drop trails all day and did some climbing to find some ladders I haven't messed around with in awhile. Saw the Germantown guys but only said hey because they looked like they had enough people in their group