Quantcast

GES 1 Snowshoe

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Thanks to everyone at Gravity East for putting on a great event. The whole Rocky Mountain East team had a great time. Thanks to snowshoe for hosting a round a little closer to home as well (SC)

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Thank you for the information.

I would suspect those items are on your list for "GES 1 -2012"

I for one am looking forward to an even better Snowshoe next year. Awesome choice for the opening race.

It really sets the bar high.

Word is Wisp is stepping up big to provide a big "Outdoor Bash" on Saturday after the dual cross which is rumoured to be well attended by many BMX talents trying to take on the Big Wheels. Should be pretty sick. They are already talking s**t.

Guess we'll see! I love Dual Cross!:thumb:

morpheous

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
While I don't agree in this instance with the SSM decision to make the two day bike park pass inclusive in the GES race entry fee (My son is also a season pass holder), I will say that in all my dealings with Mike Baker and the race crew, he has been a stand up guy, and they have all been very accommodating to the racers. They really are proficient at running a DH race. This Snowshoe GES race went off without a hitch, as always they had a superb racecourse, and overall was a great race weekend experience. I hope that GES return to do it again next season. (with seperated lift pass fees, of course.) ;-) Looking forward to July 4th weekend and Powerade #1.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
I agree wholeheartedly with Morpheous. I thought both Snowshoe Mountain and GES did a great job of partnering to put on a top quality event. The bar has been set pretty high for the rest of the series! The race course was fast and fun. It offered a little bit for everyone and was easy enough that beginners could ride it but still provided a challenge for the more skilled riders. Although lower hairball and lower quick draw certainly showcase the most technical aspects of the mountain, they are not real conducive to drawing in novice riders.

There were a couple other factors that played into the course decision. First, the trail crew was busting there butts to get the mountain in shape for opening weekend and it was beneficial to them to use a course that did not need a lot of prep work. Second, lower quick draw was closed and needed a lot of work to get some drainage and other issues taken care of before it could be ridden and there simply wasn't enough time to fix those problems. Third, while hairball is a great trail, every time that trail is used for a race entry numbers go down significantly and this occurs even though only expert and pro riders are going down hairball. It was a consideration for those that were selecting the course that the course be the same for all riders. It's hard for a racer wanting to move up to judge their performance against the class above them if they are not racing the same course.

The only real issue was with the entry fee/season passholder costs. However, I am a season passholder and while I would have liked to have seen the entry fee seperate from the trail pass, I could live with it. Further, I am sure this issue only affected a small number of riders and will in all likelihood be considered in the future.

Again, thanks to all who put on a truly great event. I have not been to too many races where there were as few timing issues, if any, as this one. This was true especially with the 45 and 30 second intervals. It was great to have the race over early and awards handed out without having to wait till the late afternoon. I hope that the GES and Snowshoe will continue to partner together for many years to come.

Last edited: