Quantcast

Get a Dorado or wait for the Travis?

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I'm running an '02 Boxxer so I'm looking to try something new. I've heard great things about the TPC+ Dorado, and only heard little about the Travis since it hasn't been released yet. Or should I get a new Boxxer?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
if theres nothing wrong with your boxxer, id wait it out and see how the new forks are received. anyway, if you like your current boxxer, youll probably love the 05 .

the 32mm stanchion dorado is a great fork, but still is quite maintenance intensive.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The Travis' ride like a dream. I got a chance to ride one at Snowshoe during Monster Park. They are far cheaper than the Dorados, weigh the same as a Fox 40, and have SPv that you adjust with a billet knob instead of an air pump. That allows them to completely separate the SPV from the compression damping, and additionally has externally adjustable SPV, Rebound, Compression, and Preload. And weighs the same as a Fox 40,....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just picked up a 2005 Dorado from Answer through my sponsoship. I'm not high enough in the ranks to have gotten a Travis yet, but I tell you that the Dordao is the smoothest fork I've ever ridden. It has the typical upside down fork feel. Thats good and bad. Its super plush and very responsive, but there is some noticable flex in the steering. Its quite a bit better with the new chassis compared to the older Dorados and no where near as bad as the Shiver I think. I've taken mine apart to fix a spacer that came loose and reduced the travel to 5" after a it came loose on a huge, bottom out hit. It was super easy to fix and the internals are top notch. No plastic stuff like in the other Manitou. Its got a sofisticated shim damping system with seperate rebound and compression stacks. Very high end. I really want to keep it through next year, but I'm waiting to see what frame I run next year. Most new frames setup their geometry around 8" forks and the 7" Dorado may make things a little steep. So we'll see.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The dorado, Travis, 888, and Fox are all fantastic forks. I have had really good luck with Manitou, and like the feel of the SPv damping, but everyone has their personal preferences. You just can't go wrong with any of them.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
my friend got some ride time on te travis and he use to have the dorado and he said unless you can get your hand on an 03 dorado it doesn't even come close to the travis fork here i don't know if you guys have seen this yet so check it out

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1666

i also believe that www.bikemag.com has a review about the travis......so sorry you guys but my vote goes to the travis