Quantcast

Get A Mac.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ridemonkey said:
Changing topics in one post is not a progression. ;)

Suuuuuure it is!

And about Apple infiltrating the business world, A guy can dream, cant he? ;)

My question is.... Microsoft resigned to make Office/Mac for another 5 years, but after that, if people are running Windoze on Mac hardware, which may possibly take away $5 of profit from Microsoft, will they keep manufacturing Office/Mac? I know 5 years is an ETERNITY in the computer technology age, but if it weren't for Especulation, what would be left of life?

(And yes RM, I did just change the progression of a thread in 1 post!)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think we're going to see the death Microsoft Office in the next decade. That's not to say Microsoft will stop developing office software, but the days of bloated, heavy software are coming to an end. They're going to lose market share faster, slimmer, cheaper online alternatives.

Take Word, for example, 99% of users utilize about 3% of that program. There are too many "features". Most people only really need Bold, Italics, and Spell Check. So, we're going to see more people using online alternatives, that don't rely on closed file formats, and are priced far more reasonably.

Long story short...I'm not worried about losing Microsoft Office, and neither will the business world (soon). I barely use it now - it's slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Alternatives like OpenOffice? compatible and freeeeeeeee!

I never thought of it like that, there have always been word processing programs. I used Word Perfect since its inception when I was a kid

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah but people don't like change/retraining and they want Outlook even though a PDA synced w/Yahoo or Google Calendar would probably be fine for most users.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ridemonkey said:
We've come a long way over the last ten years, we'll grow exponentially over the next ten.
Yes its better than it was before but they said the same thing in the 90s and it never happened. This time both the marketing and technical foundation is there though ;)

Commodore was ahead of the times with the Amiga but it didn't matter...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
syadasti said:
Yes its better than it was before but they said the same thing in the 90s and it never happened. This time both the marketing and technical foundation is there though ;)

Commodore was ahead of the times with the Amiga but it didn't matter...

so you are saying that we haven't grown exponentially since the 90s? :confused:

Since we are on the subject of Macs, in the early 90's they were running OS 7. Now, in the early 2000's, we are running OS 10.4, soon to be 10.5. You don't think thats an exponential growth? have you used OS 7 lately?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apple has had thirty years to grow.

Current installed userbase about 6% (not even close to Apple's all time peak)

Sales for the past few years they've been coming in at around 10th on average.

All this despite the fact they finally have more than marketing fluff to offer...

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
We're talking about software now. TRY to keep up with the thread progression. ;)

With Web 2.0 apps like Writely and Writeboard the role of locally installed office suites is diminishing. My point was that in ten years it's unlikely that we'll be using programs like Word, or Outlook.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey said:
We're talking about software now. TRY to keep up with the thread progression. ;)

With Web 2.0 apps like Writely and Writeboard the role of locally installed office suites is diminishing. My point was that in ten years it's unlikely that we'll be using programs like Word, or Outlook.
Dang it I said I wasn't going to comment but this is some good stuff. I think that you are spot on with applications moving to being web based.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
I think I remember in the late 90s/early 00s I demo'd.
Only that version sucked. It has been rewritten and is once again in beta. This one is actually decent, still has some quirks (very slow loading/saving) but works well.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ridemonkey said:
Any version Microsoft does will suck unless they start to understand that more features doesn't equal a better product.
It wasn't made by Microsoft...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well the one I tried a long time ago was MS Office, but the company behind it wasn't MS. Probably MS bought them...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
My point was that in ten years it's unlikely that we'll be using programs like Word, or Outlook.
Now THAT is just fine with me.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
Well the one I tried a long time ago was MS Office, but the company behind it wasn't MS. Probably MS bought them...
Quite probable. It only makes sense, why waste years developing smething when you can just buy it and improve it?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
BigMike said:
I think I might get one of the Intel iMac's :D
I'm considering getting one of those... I've got plenty of money from my student loan that I could swing one. A good one. I dunno, I'm still happy with my Ti Powerbook 667. I just don't see the point in upgrading, for the sake of upgrading. Maybe I'm oldschool...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
macko said:
I'm considering getting one of those... I've got plenty of money from my student loan that I could swing one. A good one. I dunno, I'm still happy with my Ti Powerbook 667. I just don't see the point in upgrading, for the sake of upgrading. Maybe I'm oldschool...

I got me a new MacBookPro, so now i'm thinking for my woman and I to share, get a mac Mini. Enough power for me to surf the net and her to write papers :)

Also to serve as a print and file server :cool: