Quantcast

Get Orf my land Yawl!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, that article is from a New Zealand newspaper.

I had to spend about 5 minutes looking for this on the Houston Chronicle, and all they had was the AP story, despite happening in their city.

I wonder if they deemed the story unworthy of press coverage because it is so anti-gun.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
btw, that article is from a New Zealand newspaper.

I had to spend about 5 minutes looking for this on the Houston Chronicle, and all they had was the AP story, despite happening in their city.

I wonder if they deemed the story unworthy of press coverage because it is so anti-texas-idiots.
Fixed.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Holy f*cking hell....... Are you guys really sure you don't want Psych reports done on anyone who wants to own a gun? :shocked:
Oh trust me...many of us WANT psychological testing. We have this thing called the National Rifle Association that has a serious aversion to change.

Fruitcakes everywhere Davo!
Little bit of a side note but I did a year long stint in NZ back in 02 and I remember learning that there is only one SWAT team in the whole country. Basically, if there is a hostage situation in Queenstown, they have to hop on a plane from Auckland and fly 2 hours before even being able to get there. Is that true?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Little bit of a side note but I did a year long stint in NZ back in 02 and I remember learning that there is only one SWAT team in the whole country. Basically, if there is a hostage situation in Queenstown, they have to hop on a plane from Auckland and fly 2 hours before even being able to get there. Is that true?

Not really, there are armed squads in most major centers.... but for extra tricky ones the do fly in the STG boys (they train with the NZSAS) who are based in Auckland and Wellington.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Not really, there are armed squads in most major centers.... but for extra tricky ones the do fly in the STG boys (they train with the NZSAS) who are based in Auckland and Wellington.
Interesting to know. My house in Wanaka actually got raided by NZ customs while I was there - they had my wife (then girlfriend) on the floor facing the wall and tearing sh1t apart everywhere. My stupid roommate tried to import some sort of drugs from London. :banghead:

That sucks really bad for the 7 year old boy and his family. I hope they throw the book at those people.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Interesting to know. My house in Wanaka actually got raided by NZ customs while I was there - they had my wife (then girlfriend) on the floor facing the wall and tearing sh1t apart everywhere. My stupid roommate tried to import some sort of drugs from London. :banghead:

That sucks really bad for the 7 year old boy and his family. I hope they throw the book at those people.
I'm not exactly a drug connoisseur, but isn't taking drugs into NZ a little like bringing weed to Whistler because you're worried that you won't be able to find anyone in BC who can hook you up?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm not exactly a drug connoisseur, but isn't taking drugs into NZ a little like bringing weed to Whistler because you're worried that you won't be able to find anyone in BC who can hook you up?
Concerning weed, I recall hearing a customs guy on NZ tv say "Marijuana--why don't you try and smuggle a sheep in while you're at it??" when asked what the stupidest thing he saw people try and get into the country.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I have no idea on that one. I think it was a few hits of ex in a greeting card or something like that. The dude was a complete and total dumbass even outside of that.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Man What an arsenal the guy had.... over 18 guns plus the whole house was rigged with boobytraps and a load of IED's!!!! :eek:

check out the photos of his guns
http://www.stuff.co.nz/lightbox/national/2392387?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=645&width=635

In the first pic the big one along the front is an FN FAL...... Awesome gun, I used to use one at the range, still the most fun assault rife I've ever played with. :D
Some of the others look pretty damn nasty too!