Quantcast

Get some grip(s)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

these have been my favs since they came out. they took the place of ruffians and are awesome for gloved and gloveless days.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sensus disisdaboss

Best grips ever made IMO, especially gloveless.
What diameter are they? Also what diameter have the Swayzes?
I am still searching grips that were as good as the Bontrager Big Earl grips on my '09 Session.

They were quite thick but the soft compound was awesome.
Also I don't like too thin and too thick grips. I got pretty bad armpump from the Rogue's for example.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I have been using the kevlar push on Renthal grips for the past few years, the ones with the flange on the inside. I have loved them. I wanted to give their new ultra-tacky grip compound a try though, and they don't off the push-on with that compound so I got the regular lock on's. We'll see how I get on with them. When I switch from lock-on's to the push-on's a few years ago, I really liked the slightly smaller diameter and the "cushier" feeling of not having the plastic barrel through the inside. I hope the change doesn't bother me too bad, because the ultra-tacky compound feels freakin sick.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
And they kept on keeping on until 1986 or so - that's when I'd started to race. Oakley I had were O-Wing.

Hairspray or alcohol?
Hairspray then, alcohol today on my youngest one's micro - 10 buck mushroom grips!

In other news, I tried Skyway lock on grips on my older son's junior BMX, meh...he loves them, but I found the lock on mechanism to barely keep the grips on and the durometer is way hard. He loves the colors (orange on gold bars) and the hard prickly grip "massages his hands" while he rides...I put some "insurance" on his bars in case the lock ons crap out by adding some heavy duty FBM bar plugs I dug out of my parts bin.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What diameter are they? Also what diameter have the Swayzes?
I am still searching grips that were as good as the Bontrager Big Earl grips on my '09 Session.

They were quite thick but the soft compound was awesome.
Also I don't like too thin and too thick grips. I got pretty bad armpump from the Rogue's for example.
I pump up with thick grips too. These are definitely some of the thinnest lock ons I've used. Those gwin odi grips are pretty narrow too but they suck gloveless.

They're definitely narrower than those bontragers. The swayzes feel a little thicker. A little more fin material that feels soft too. They're both about 28.5-29mm with calipers, depending on how much you pinch them.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I've been using these dudes. I like them so far. They are really wide too. I can move my paws around to keep the blood flowin.
image.jpeg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Urgghhh!!

I really really can't handle* all this ribbing on show.
But you fuckers do actually have me 2016 ribbing curious now. FFS!
Never seen those SENSUS grips before. maybe they're not so common over here. or maybe I just pay less attention than I used to before #EnduroUniformStravaGadgetCarbonz Chat bored the shit out of every group ride for me. I dunno. What's the idea with half the grip having straight (Mushroom style patern) and the other half diagonal ribs? Guessing from the comments about all these micro ribbed grips being the most comfortable gloveless designs that it feels like a micro mushroom effect offering Velvety comfort for soft gloveless hands?
That bulge on the ends doesn't look a great idea for grip overhangers like me either.
The thing I hated about old skool mushrooms was that creepy movement under your palms/fingers which just felt even worse if like me you change hand position and gripping force a fair bit.
Also. anything that uses their own brand name as a grip/tread pattern just instantly loses my respect.

My ideal grip is actually an ODI ruffian that's so worn it's down to the thinnest layer of smooth rubber on the inside and actually has none left at all (down to the plastic sleeve) at the outer lock-on collar and the rubber is tacky to the feel from all the sweat/wasps eating into them. (kinda shit in the wet once they're like that tho)

* But I do really want to try lots of new grips now with an open mind (might have to close my eyes to keep all my preconceived (ir/)rational prejudices at bay tho)

I actually tried a friend's single lock-on RaceFcce grips the other day and liked them so I am some making progress into the current century.
I have tried those Bontrager's and surprisingly got on well with them... It was years back and I was on a brand new borrowed Session and kinda loved everything about that bike so difficult to say if it wasn't just that.
Those Skyways are HARD. But aren't they just the cheap generic lock-ons from China/Ebay with Skyway printed on? got a feeling the Nukeproofs I just took off are the same. might just take a big 'ol file to those.

Give me pretty much any minimal race saddle and I'll ride all day on any bike no complaints but grips (until you find the "ONE" are such a headfucky dilemma for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Those sensus grips are wide. You can put your damn delirium tremens tremoring paws anywhere you want, it doesn't have to be on the end.

And if you can't look at those and see that the ribs are nowhere near as big as mushroom grips from when Margaret thatcher was PM, I just can't help you. The ribs are for airflow and sweat. Just go find a YT bike and there's probably a pair on there.

I'll go ahead and cover my bases in case I'm not around when that happens:

"You're welcome"

:D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha...

Ah... I've probably used them on a few folks Capra's then... holding on way inside their fashionably wide handlebros

PWR of #endurbore is stronger than I at first imagined

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Urgghhh!!

I really really can't handle* all this ribbing on show.
But you fuckers do actually have me 2016 ribbing curious now. FFS!
Never seen those SENSUS grips before. maybe they're not so common over here. or maybe I just pay less attention than I used to before #EnduroUniformStravaGadgetCarbonz Chat bored the shit out of every group ride for me. I dunno. What's the idea with half the grip having straight (Mushroom style patern) and the other half diagonal ribs? Guessing from the comments about all these micro ribbed grips being the most comfortable gloveless designs that it feels like a micro mushroom effect offering Velvety comfort for soft gloveless hands?
That bulge on the ends doesn't look a great idea for grip overhangers like me either.
The thing I hated about old skool mushrooms was that creepy movement under your palms/fingers which just felt even worse if like me you change hand position and gripping force a fair bit.
Also. anything that uses their own brand name as a grip/tread pattern just instantly loses my respect.

My ideal grip is actually an ODI ruffian that's so worn it's down to the thinnest layer of smooth rubber on the inside and actually has none left at all (down to the plastic sleeve) at the outer lock-on collar and the rubber is tacky to the feel from all the sweat/wasps eating into them. (kinda shit in the wet once they're like that tho)

* But I do really want to try lots of new grips now with an open mind (might have to close my eyes to keep all my preconceived (ir/)rational prejudices at bay tho)

I actually tried a friend's single lock-on RaceFcce grips the other day and liked them so I am some making progress into the current century.
I have tried those Bontrager's and surprisingly got on well with them... It was years back and I was on a brand new borrowed Session and kinda loved everything about that bike so difficult to say if it wasn't just that.
Those Skyways are HARD. But aren't they just the cheap generic lock-ons from China/Ebay with Skyway printed on? got a feeling the Nukeproofs I just took off are the same. might just take a big 'ol file to those.

Give me pretty much any minimal race saddle and I'll ride all day on any bike no complaints but grips (until you find the "ONE" are such a headfucky dilemma for me.
Not gonna lie, I am disappointed you even use grips at all given your, umm, "minimalist" nature :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Try the ODI Gwin grip. Might be a little more on the outside than you want but otherwise damn close to what you said.

upload_2016-8-4_12-19-49.jpeg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Try the ODI Gwin grip.
Thanks man.
Just looked up a few reviews. and from what they were all saying. (even what one reviewer noted as a downside) these do indeed seem close to what I'd be asking for. So I just ordered me a set to find out.

6 seconds faster here I come...

er... coming faster is a good thing? isn't it?

Can anyone here embed this vid half speed with English subtitles? There are some next level bong shed revelations in there :D

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So I just ordered me a set to find out.

Once you realize those suck riding gloveless in like I said, I'm going to want a public apology.

I've literally got a pair of those sitting in my garage, used once, that I would have mailed to you.

The diameter/size is awesome.
But can you guess why I'm not using them? I bet you can. Go ahead. Just try.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For me and my busted out hands, I can only really go with the GE1's from Ergon. They work great for me. After injury to hands/wrists, the GS/GX worked great while my strength/flexibility made a comeback. I call them my "handicap grips". They look horrible, but if you've got pain, they're great.

For you guys how can pretty much pick any grip: Suck it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But can you guess why I'm not using them? I bet you can. Go ahead. Just try.
Couldn't work out which end to hacksaw off?
Don't like to hang off the ends like me an' ma boy AG?
or was it the Buggering?
I'll bet it was all the buggering

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You need to say WHY you don't like the buggering BTW... just saying you don't like it carries no clout with me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'll buy a pair of SENSUS and keep them with me. Ready. Just incase THAT day ever happens ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey be nice and i'll give you the ones I've got.

Gary doesn't deserve them.

You might be fine with those where you live G. It's less hot. They just didn't have any breathin when I used them here in sunny melanoma land. They were a sweaty mess for me.
You should give them to me instead. I had those TLDs and liked them, but have a set of Ruffians waiting for the build of my new unrideabrumobile. Not sure I'll like going back to Ruffians. I don't ride gloveless. Too Schwetty.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
For me and my busted out hands, I can only really go with the GE1's from Ergon. They work great for me. After injury to hands/wrists, the GS/GX worked great while my strength/flexibility made a comeback. I call them my "handicap grips". They look horrible, but if you've got pain, they're great.

For you guys how can pretty much pick any grip: Suck it.

Dude, I so just got on your train.

Ordered a set of GE1's last night.
Was between the ODI Pro Elite, ESI Chunky and the Ergons.

Never was a huge fan on silicone grips back in the day - maybe better now.
The ODI was like a Rogue / Ruffian cross.
I did some reading and succumbed to teh marketing..:busted:
The cutout and dual density for vibration damping was the hook.

Oh and also your broken hand got together with @dan-o broken hand and sent a tele-pathetic message to mine and they all agreed I should give it a go:cheers:

Now if they suck, I have somebody other than the man in the mirror to bitch at. :monkey:

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I tried the ESI chubbiers but no joy. The sensus grips don't make my hands go numb so I'm fine with the ridicule of my wide grips!

I love wide bars too especially when I wear a size 50 jacket.
Those sensus grips are wide. You can put your damn delirium tremens tremoring paws anywhere you want, it doesn't have to be on the end.

And if you can't look at those and see that the ribs are nowhere near as big as mushroom grips from when Margaret thatcher was PM, I just can't help you. The ribs are for airflow and sweat. Just go find a YT bike and there's probably a pair on there.

I'll go ahead and cover my bases in case I'm not around when that happens:

"You're welcome"

Ha ha...

Ah... I've probably used them on a few folks Capra's then... holding on way inside their fashionably wide handlebros

PWR of #endurbore is stronger than I at first imagined

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
PUBLIC APOLOGY to @kidwoo

Fuck sake mate. Those grips are the absolute worst grips I've ever tried without gloves. infact No grips would have been nearly as good.
Hottest day of the year here in Scotland. so ideal to try out new grips. yeah?
100mm hardtail 40psi tyres... rocky, rooty steep(ish) all day ride?
Why not, eh?

First hour - Hmm... ok... these aren't the grippiest but I kinda like the solid feeling and narrow central diameter..

Second hour... fucking hell these things are hard to hold onto. By this point my hand wouldn't even stay on the outer portion... ANY moisture and the rubber they've coated the outer non-collar worth is slippier than plastic
would have been.

douse hands in dust before each descent time...

Third hour - deathgripping EVERYWERE in a world of pain having to ride descents with zero braking and diving into shady lines to cope and just praying I can hold on into every square edge.

fourth hour - back to the car to re-fit Ruffians... felt like holding onto a kittens wrist wrapped in cotton wool... Aaahhhh

fifth hour - had enough... hands were fine again but my head was fucking minced from all the concentration needed earlier..

I actually had cramp in my feet in the night... I think from trying to hold onto the pedals like a birds foot on a telephone wire most of the day to compensate for the lack of any other contact points.

I'm actually going to ask for a refund. These things don't even fit on bars securely... the inner diameter is too large. the single lock-on side needs wound down loads before it even grips the bar and non lock-on end has space between it and the bar to wiggle up n downas you use them.

Think I'll order a set of Brendogs and a set of disisdaboss

Don't say I NEVER try new shit.

Ps my friend had a set of Race face (half Nelson possibly) that felt Lovely... not sure if just in comparison tho.
Any views on these?

they were this pattern

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Gary, go grab your handlebars and death grip them. Now put your index finger on your brake like 80% or so of people ride like full time. Which fingers are you really gripping with? It's the ones towards the outside of the bar.

Unless you pull your brake levers way inside and grab your grips like bmx kids that just like having two inches of extra pipe hanging off either side of their bike they're not using, it's the outside of the grip that matters. Those brendogs are nothing but ruffians on the outside. They'll suck. Because ruffians suck gloveless. For the same reason those gwinn grips suck gloveless, you end up with a bunch of flat rubber surface area on your hands and sweat has nowhere to go. There's a reason that everyone who rides gloveless uses some kind of grip with ridges. They get crushed but they provide a broken up surface for sweat to go somewhere other than trapped between your skin and a bunch of flat rubber. Those race face grips are going to do the same thing. They'll be a little better because they are sliced up a bit but they still won't be as good as a consistently broken up surface.

I get why people don't like full mushroom grips, your hands move around on those crushed ridges and you don't get a good solid grip, and until you have some really thick calluses, you'll get blisters from that movement.

The disisdaboss ones have small enough ridges they don't do that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One more question on them Sensus grips - is their length annoying? I run Shimano brakes on everything, so I've got pretty short brake levers and like to run them close to the grips. I think those longer grips might force me to choke up on the bar a little to reach the brakes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One more question on them Sensus grips - is their length annoying? I run Shimano brakes on everything, so I've got pretty short brake levers and like to run them close to the grips. I think those longer grips might force me to choke up on the bar a little to reach the brakes.
They are a little wide. I've got shimanos too and with them slammed up against the lock ring I still (but just barely) pretty much have my pinky half wrapped around the outside bulge. And generally speaking, my pee pee is tiny so I have pretty small hands.

Attachments

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
1. Acquire container load of "NOS" orange striped Maxxis Mobsters from Pricepoint fire sale.
2. Make daughter earn allowance by cutting said tires with an angle grinder to 50 mm X130 mm lengths
3. Super glue Mobster rectangles onto plastic, err, special hi-modulus "carbon" tubes.
4. Set price for new grip (i.e. "The Mob Knob" ) at $69
5. Promote grip to businesses listed in magazines like this -

6. ????
7. Profit

Also, pro tip for the gloveless Blenki wannabes, you can make absorbent wrist bracelets by tying tampons in a small loop (but consider using the heavy flow variety for temps > 85*)

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
More or less happy with my ODI Longnecks. Mushroom grips, I know, but with gloves they are good. And right in between the thickness of a Ruffian and a Rogue. Still not as good as the Bontrager Earls were.

I had the Raceface grip for some time. Good feeling but a tad too small. Don't ride gloveless with wet hands or grips. I did that. Aquaplaningis the best word to describe the feeling. With gloves they were actually quite nice. I still got rid of them, because I hate it when my fingers get in contact with my palms. Average hands, but long fingers I have. That's why I will not try the Sensus grips, allthough they are looking good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh...fuckin'... Kay Boss!!

nah... seriously. The shop has agreed to taking the Gwin's back and just so happens to sell Sensus... so that's a done deal.

I still want tot try Brendogs... I know fine the part I'll be on is just a ruffian. I'm actually fine with Ruffians.. it's the tapered core that interests me with them.

Haven't ever been able to try the RaceFace's properly as my friend weighs 75lb less than me... felt ace messing around and hitting a few jumps with the Pikes locked out (and still blowing through most of the travel)

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I always used to have arm pump issues on long decents until I realised that I was gripping too hard because I always (/felt like I) had slight movement between grips and hands. The realisation came with me trying gloveless riding when I put on new grips, ODI Crosstrainers. They look like mushroom but the rips are really tiny and in a 45° angle to the bar and a 90° to each other every inch or so with a thicker one between. Try em nao!

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Big shout out to @SylentK and @dan-o for the heads up on the Ergon Endurpo-bro grips :headbang:

Have one day on the big bike with the new Ergon GE1's.
I think I have found what I have been looking for. :wub:
Full top to bottom runs all day without having to stop and work out cramps in the nerve damaged hand. :banana:

:monkey:'s, once again I thank you.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like the Ergons so far, too. Very slippery when wet so I picked up some thin gloves.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I like the Ergons so far, too. Very slippery when wet so I picked up some thin gloves.
If you don't like gloves, like me, TLD Ace full fingers are awesome. As minimal as you can get while still saving your hand when you go down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you don't like gloves, like me, TLD Ace full fingers are awesome. As minimal as you can get while still saving your hand when you go down.
I picked up some Fox Attacks from REI. Very thin, no Velcro, no padding, one piece palm.