Quantcast

Get some grip(s)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
my current fav no glove glove is the dakine concept but the new fox attack looks pretty decent also.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
has anyone tried the chromag palmskin grips?
http://www.chromagbikes.com/grips/palmskin
there is a post from 3 years ago in the other grip thread saying chromag grips were terrible but no mention of which model.
No experience with the palmskins, but I have used the Clutch's, Basis and Square Waves, all of which were pretty good, but not the stickiest compounds IMO. My concern with models like the palmskins is how durable the thin ridges will be. I had some RF Love Handles for awhile, and while they were a solid grip, the ridgey stuff wore out in a hurry. I too like the TLD grips (my fave so far), but I do wish they were a scoosh wider, as my ever flattening/fattening hands are basically at the edges of the lock on rings. That is something I like about the Chromag grips is the extra width. Ultimately, I think we need to get @Udi to develop a highly specific grip spec for us :thumb:

(EDIT - poopdeck glove info) - Regarding riding gloves, I sweat like Drumph's campaign manager, so I prefer something thin like the Dakine Covert for temps above zero kelvin. They're pretty fragile if you put your hands down during an ad hoc geotechnical investigation, but they're also cheap.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife has had those on her trail bike for a couple of years and likes them, they're at the need to replace stage now and will probably get the same again.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Fondled these last night. Similar to a Crosstrainer and the ones Kidwoo loves. Not too thick, thin ridges, also not very wide if you are looking for something narrow.

They come in a slide on if you're not a fan of locks.
i think these are what blenki runs, so i guess the gloveless test is considered passed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hot damn. Found some ODI Crosstrainers in the shop at the DH hill yesterday and tried them out today.

Might as well throw these Ruffian's in the garbage; what a world of a difference. Got through most of today's riding without a single complaint from my fingers on my right hand. Yesterday those same fingers were in real pain on the vibrating fast stuff.

Been using these ever since my old Transition TR450 came with them. Only picked up those Ruffians because they were purple.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anyone know an online shop that'll ship Sensus Lite grips to the UK?

(the single lock-on variety)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well half of it looks pretty good.

never understood what the grid part loads of Odi grips have is actually for

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

It's to make it look like they're innovating. Kinda like a lot of the knob vomity tires out there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

what grid part are we talking about? the waffle? it's super common in moto grips. I really like it as you can get grip without having your hand super tight.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I thought they were really nice grips. Good pattern, good rubber, just too fat for my hands.

Anybody checked out the new Ergon GD1?
Loving my GD1s on my trial bike. The flange is pretty small, so doesn't get in the way of shifting, but the grips are fairly long. The tapered design is nice as you still get a super direct feel, but a little bit of extra cushioning under the outside of the hand.

The rubber compound appears to be a winner too - super sticky, not wearing too quickly, and is ultra-responsive. It's certainly not as forgiving as some other grip compounds, but it's a winner for me.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I haven't read any of this thread (typical me), but if someone is after thiccc grips, check out the Easton ones. theyre carbon friendly clamp design as well. they also do offer a thinner profile.

I really dig the clamp design though. now, it looks like I have justified a carbon bar purchase.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just grabbed a set of the FUNN Hilt grips to try out. As someone who holds onto the very end of the bars they're pretty nice. Good sized rubber flange to help position your hand, without being so solid as to cause numbness like metal end caps can.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I've been riding Race Face Half-Nelson grips on my dh and trail bikes for the past two years. Came off a long long long trial of various ODI grips. I love them. They have more fusion than ruffians and oury grips and don't have the stupid plastic core that the lock on versions of those had.

Furthermore they use a sane 3mm bolt on the single bolt color as opposed to the stupid 2mm easily dirty-able pos bolt odi uses.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Those stupid ODI bolts are actually a custom-sized bolt! Like that thread size doesn't normally have that size hex. Someone put thought into making that bolt as worthless as possible.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I really dig the clamp design though. now, it looks like I have justified a carbon bar purchase.
Completely O/T, but if doing this I'd stick to RF SIXC or maybe Enve (low failure rate), and don't use any new-style SRAM clamps (eg. guide brakes or reverb lever). They're more prone to cutting in by design.

Get the sandpaper out and chamfer the stem edges and all lever clamp edges nicely.

Just a monkey-safety tip. I think they're grand if you follow the basic rules.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
c'mon man. my friend matt with broken ribs and a jacked up back with no skin would like to have a word with you. have you forgotten so soon????
Maybe delete Enve and keep SIXC then?

Seriously though, seems like a set that should have been replaced a while ago...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Maybe delete Enve and keep SIXC then?

Seriously though, seems like a set that should have been replaced a while ago...
just wait until my sixc's explode and puncture my chest, delighting @kidwoo and ensuring that no crabon bars are safe unless kept out of the sun and replaced after every 40 hours of use!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Completely O/T, but if doing this I'd stick to RF SIXC or maybe Enve (low failure rate), and don't use any new-style SRAM clamps (eg. guide brakes or reverb lever). They're more prone to cutting in by design.

Get the sandpaper out and chamfer the stem edges and all lever clamp edges nicely.

Just a monkey-safety tip. I think they're grand if you follow the basic rules.
thanks for the heads up Udi, i will keep that in mind. I need a new fork first (and possibly a rear shock) before I move to carbon shiny bits.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
No experience with the palmskins, but I have used the Clutch's, Basis and Square Waves, all of which were pretty good, but not the stickiest compounds IMO.
resurrection time. any chance you've run any of the chromag's without the outer clamp? i run my odi's without and never had any issues but not all lock on's are equal. i emailed chromag but they basically said 'never done it, can't recommend it, you're on your own'.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No way mang, that is crazy talk. I'd guess it'd work ok since it seems fine with RF Half Nelsons. Maybe a little worried if you're running a crab0n bar and feel like it's necessary to really crank down on the one lock ring.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
anyone try the deity knuckleduster?
but seriously. I really like them. They are really tacky, and seem to absorb vibrations well. They're not quite as cushy as my previous favourites, the Easton lock-ons, but are quite sufficient. I tried them for xc riding without gloves, and despite the mushroom ribs and waffle, my hands sweat way too much and they just get slippery. They might work well for gravity riding gloveless, but I can say for certain they excel at riding in all conditions with gloves.

They also get bonus points for not scuffing the walls in my stairwell when I pull my bike out of the basement.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
After trying the Deity Knuckleduster (too fat) and Waypoint (too skinny) and the Ergon GD1 (too fat), the Sensus Lite feels pretty damn great and might be a keeper.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Just buy some damn sensus and quit being fascinated by 'new'.

Those things look slippery as hell sweaty.
new can be better. and trust me, I am not a new for the sake of new type of person. grips are cheap and I'm a picky motherfucker when it comes to my bicycle controls so here i am, researching grips.

the tld's look slippery when sweaty also imo but they work. the couple of reviews i've read seem to think these ultra tacky renthals are pretty great gloveless. 'Bare hand riders will absolutely love the Ultra Tacky grips – even the sweatiest of hands get full traction at all times, and the ridges are soft and comfortable.'

also, obligatory

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
After trying the Deity Knuckleduster (too fat) and Waypoint (too skinny) and the Ergon GD1 (too fat), the Sensus Lite feels pretty damn great and might be a keeper.
They make a GD1 Slim, at least as skinny as the Sensus Lite. I have both (Sensus Lite and GD1 Slim) and like them both.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the Sensus Lite feels pretty damn great and might be a keeper.
I have Sensus Lites on my 4X Hardtail and Disisdaboss' on my FS
They're both great gloveless. infact by far the best grips I've ever used (Thanks Woo) but the two are actually quite different. The difference is instantly noticable in feel going from one grip to the other.
Disisdaboss are noticably more comfortable on longer descents. Partly as the ribs are slightly taller giving an almost velvetty feel, partly because the of the ends giving more support to my overhanging palms.
Being firmer in every way and not having that bulge at the ends quite so prominant means Lites are a little better for me on a DJ/4X bike.
Try them both and decide for yourself.

..whereas in comparison all Renthal grips are shit gloveless. Yes. Even their "ultra tacky" compound. Ruffians (which they are a straight copy of) go really tacky after months of salt ingress and just like the Renthals are still next to useless with a proper amount of moisture (whether it's sweat, mud or rain) betwen skin and the rubber and NOWHERE for it to go. rendering all that ultra tackiness utterly (ultraly?) pointless.

ps.

I PROBABLY AM YOUR FATHER!

Last edited: