Quantcast

get speeding ticket. get revenge

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
big win!

After a Tennessee police department let its website expire, the site was snatched up by a new owner — a man who uses it to gripe about traffic cameras that issue speeding tickets.
Computer network designer Brian McCrary says he discovered the Bluff City Police Department site was up for grabs, so he paid domain provider Go Daddy for the rights to http://www.bluffcitypd.com.
McCrary, who says he received a $90 speeding citation earlier this year, took over the site May 22.
His site now shows a smiling cartoon police badge clutching green currency. It also posts gripes from others who've been cited.
Police Chief David Nelson said the officer who managed the site had been on medical leave and the expiration slipped up on the department.
Bluff City PD's website:
http://www.bluffcitypd.com/

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
It would be sweet if the police dept bought it back from him.
I remember reading about Cyber squatting in one of my business classes in college. This guy bought a Domain name that was something like Hilaryclinton.com right before she ran for election and then tried to get her to buy it back from him for 20k.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I remember reading about Cyber squatting in one of my business classes in college. This guy bought a Domain name that was something like Hilaryclinton.com right before she ran for election and then tried to get her to buy it back from him for 20k.
there have been many people smart enough to buy a domain name before a company or person becomes famous

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not clear on the details, but I believe you can make a case to the ICANN against people who are clearly squatting. I believe the case can be made stronger if it is within some reasonable time period of expiration, or if it involves our name/brand.

Where are the lawyers when you need them?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not clear on the details, but I believe you can make a case to the ICANN against people who are clearly squatting. I believe the case can be made stronger if it is within some reasonable time period of expiration, or if it involves our name/brand.

Where are the lawyers when you need them?
doubt this is considered squatting. The local PD would have to prove he intended to sell it back to them for profit. The fact that he actually set up a website and simply didn't park the domain also works again this being squatting.

Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using a domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else.

Cybersquatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Squatting is the wrong term... there's another term for what I'm talking about.