Quantcast

Get well BMXman.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Man Donnie, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope those docs are keeping you comfortable. Heal up quick and I will be thinking of you and sending many good vibes. Keep a smile on your face and you will heal faster!

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION
Dam brother,

Hope you get well soon, you gotta head out this way next year. We'll have the brewery up and running by April or so there will be much beer to be drank.

DH

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Update: D got out of surgery this morning, they put plates and pins in his ankle, he will be in the hospital until tommorow and will be off the bike for a minimum of 6-8 weeks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery D. :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Shyrmp said:
Update: D... will be off the bike for a minimum of 6-8 weeks.
6-8 weeks?? Wow, that seems like a good prognosis! Again, here's to seeing him healed up soon...and to the fact that he didn't sever the femoral artery.

MD

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
MikeD said:
Again, here's to seeing him healed up soon...and to the fact that he didn't sever the femoral artery.
MD
That is something that you will not see in a Hallmark sympathy card.:blah:

6 to 8 weeks sounds incredible!
I had a compound fracture of my tibia/fibia, and it was about 10 months and 5 surgeries for me.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Get well soon D!! Injuries like these are no fun - but stay positive and you'll be back on the bike in no time!! 8 weeks is a goal to shoot for, but sounds short for such injury! non the less...good luck!

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Sorry to derail the thread a little bit, but I just got to point this out.
4 STRAIGHT PAGES OF GET WELLS/BEST WISHES/GOOD VIBES!!!!!!
Awesome to see all of these people support a fellow monkey like that. Inspirational.

So with out further ado,
Get well soon BMXman, hope the recovery is speedy and hope you're back on the bike soon!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jeremy R said:
That is something that you will not see in a Hallmark sympathy card.:blah:
Obviously you're not familiar with their 'shoebox greetings' line of quirky, humorous cards.

MD

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Shyrmp said:
Update: D got out of surgery this morning, they put plates and pins in his ankle, he will be in the hospital until tommorow and will be off the bike for a minimum of 6-8 weeks.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery D. :)

Good to hear. I stayed w/ him until about midnigt when we finally got him to his room.. then went to crash for the night at David K's house. didn't get up until Donnie was already in surgery - glad to hear things went smoothly.

The ankle was GNARLY!! i donno how best to describe it...but when the doc showed me the xrays, it serioulsly looked like everything from the break was shifted over about 2 inches.

He was in SERIOUS pain the whole night, they doped him up pretty good...which was kinda funny...."I have a high tolerance for pain meds...they usually don't work on meeeeeeeee.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" haha ! then he was out! he kept waking up a few hours later looking at me in shock. He'd say to me "hey man! how's it going? Why does my foot hurt?!?" I felt bad for the guy. i've been there....it's not fun!

I hope it's only 6-8 weeks. the orthopedic surgen told me last night that it would be a minimum of 3 months that he won't be able to use the foot (will have to use crutches for that entire time), then who knows how long of therapy afterwards. Of course a lot of times, doctors tell us it's gonna be a lot longer than it actually is.

I actually just called & spoke w/ Donnie. he's doing well,... still a lot of pain. his wife & mother are there. So i guess i wont have to head back up to pick him up.

Get soon quick bro!

Here's a few pics from last night. I'll leave out the gnarly photo of is ankle. the one where you can see the bone.....yikes!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
6-8 weeks may seem like a lot right now D, but you will be back on teh bike in no time!!
Heal quick, and don't push to come back before you are ready.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Do what your docs say and start the physical therapy as soon as you can. When I broke my leg last year (not as bad as yours) it was appx 15 weeks till I was back on the DH bike on the trail. about 6 - 8 weeks till I was on the road pedalling around. Heal quickly! :thumb:

So does anyone know... was it the ANKLE, as in the joint or the leg bones above the ankle?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Ciaran said:
Do what your docs say and start the physical therapy as soon as you can. When I broke my leg last year (not as bad as yours) it was appx 15 weeks till I was back on the DH bike on the trail. about 6 - 8 weeks till I was on the road pedalling around. Heal quickly! :thumb:

So does anyone know... was it the ANKLE, as in the joint or the leg bones above the ankle?
i didn't really ask the doc specifics, but from what it looked on the xrays (not to mention where exactly the bone i saw that was sticking out) it looked like the break was right above the ankle. not positive...but that's what it looked to me

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Screws and plates are amazing. They help the healing process so much. I've been in the hospital w/ someone who had a shattered femur and it aint fun.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
DylanDeanDesign said:
i didn't really ask the doc specifics, but from what it looked on the xrays (not to mention where exactly the bone i saw that was sticking out) it looked like the break was right above the ankle. not positive...but that's what it looked to me
That sounds good. When I broke mine the doc said that breaks directly at the joint takes much longer to heal. In a sense he's lucky that it was the bone above the joint and not the joint itself. I hate to see another rider down but it's good to know that it's not as bad as it could have been.

Have him post his x-rays when he gets out of hospital!

Sep 10, 2001
JDD,
Thanks for the update on Donnie.... As for someone who pointed out all the well wishers for Donnie, if you have ever met him, you would know why there are so many...

Brian

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
JDD,

You're a good friend. Despite how tired you were on Sunday, sounds like you took good care of Donnie. It's great to have people like you around when something like this happens. I broke both the bones in my left leg with a dislocation about 8 years ago in a soccer game (no compound fracture though). Still have screws in the ankle. My friends really took care of me too, and it helped make the best of a bad situation.

Donnie,

I am soo sorry to hear about your leg, but I'm really glad that it was no worse. Heal up quick - vitamin C and D will help. Beware of the pain meds, some of them will really mess up your system. God's speed to your healing!

Laura Drexler
No Brakes Racing

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
sunny said:
JDD,

You're a good friend. Despite how tired you were on Sunday, sounds like you took good care of Donnie. It's great to have people like you around when something like this happens. I broke both the bones in my left leg with a dislocation about 8 years ago in a soccer game (no compound fracture though). Still have screws in the ankle. My friends really took care of me too, and it helped make the best of a bad situation.
Thanks Laura. yah, i was freakin beat! 3 hrs of sleep in 2-3 days....you could say i was a tad bit tired! lol. yah, i just wanted make sure Donnie was ok. He carpooled up with me & I had all his personals as well. Besides, I didn't think anyone else would be there at the hospital since no one knew where they were gonna take him since Fontana's Kaiser Hospital cut their Trauma center....& not many people knew where the hospital was once we found out. I played "ambulance chaser" & followed them straight to the emergency room -- cut a few people off w/ the Utopia van too! oops! lol that's the only way i knew where i was goin.

it sucks when you're at the hospital alone...& it's definately a bit scary when you're in a lot of pain, alone, & all doped up in a place you have no clue where you're at. it's good to have someone around....even if it's me! haha

Ciaran said:
That sounds good. When I broke mine the doc said that breaks directly at the joint takes much longer to heal. In a sense he's lucky that it was the bone above the joint and not the joint itself. I hate to see another rider down but it's good to know that it's not as bad as it could have been.

Have him post his x-rays when he gets out of hospital!
yah, i'm sure there would be a ton more ligament damage if the break was exactly at the ankle too. that usually takes the longest to heal up too. yah, we'll have to get him to post the xrays up!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Hey D,

One REAL important thing is the physical therapy. No lies it will be a little uncomfortable, but start as soon as you are allowed to. That way you can get back in the saddle quickly, and without suffering any permanent issues that could possibly become a hindrance in the future.

Sandy is a PT for the better part of 20 years and is also a clinical instructor for MCV students. If you have ANY questions man, let me know, Sandy would be more then willing to answer any you may have.

Heal up well!

Regards

Ralph

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
UPDATE

I just picked up Donnie's wife at the hospital last night. Spoke w/ Donnie for a bit. He confirmed that he did get 9 screws & a plate installed. So he's officially a bionic man now. He also confirmed that he'll be off the foot for at least 2 months, then straight into therapy.

Unfortuantely, he hasn't left the hospital yet. the doctors wanted him to stay a few extra days, so at least at this time, he'll be there until Thursday (unless they change their minds again). a not so happy thanksgiving for him. bummer

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Ohhhhhh, dude! I'm so sorry bro. That sucks eh? Dang, tell Wendy to hang in there and I am praying for your healing dude. Man that is such a bummer. Heal up bro, I hope to see you again at the Otter even if your not riding. And you know it wasn't because of the bike...it was the fork :) I miss you man, take care. H

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
DylanDeanDesign said:
UPDATE

I just picked up Donnie's wife at the hospital last night. Spoke w/ Donnie for a bit. He confirmed that he did get 9 screws & a plate installed. So he's officially a bionic man now. He also confirmed that he'll be off the foot for at least 2 months, then straight into therapy.

Unfortuantely, he hasn't left the hospital yet. the doctors wanted him to stay a few extra days, so at least at this time, he'll be there until Thursday (unless they change their minds again). a not so happy thanksgiving for him. bummer

:think: Does this mean more sales on E-bay?

:p

LOL!!! If there is, they will probably be in his wife&#8217;s name! :p

:D

Sep 10, 2001
Just got off the phone with D... He said Thanks to everyone for calling, but he asked to keep the calls to a minimum so Wendy can let him know when she is taking him home. But you will be able to reach him at home tomorrow...

Brian

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Brian Peterson said:
Just got off the phone with D... He said Thanks to everyone for calling, but he asked to keep the calls to a minimum so Wendy can let him know when she is taking him home. But you will be able to reach him at home tomorrow...

Brian

i took the number off.....if there's anyone that really needs to contact him, you can give me a hollar first. or call him at home later.

jd

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey all,
Thanks so much for all your support and comments. Donnie is a very lucky man to have friends like you. He's supposed to be discharged tomorrow around noon... so after a couple painful hours in holiday traffic he should be home... and knowing him, not too long after that he should be back online catching up with you all. As Brian was saying... he really needs his rest right now so, as much as he loves hearing from you, he needs the rest to heal faster (after all, I'm sure he wants to be at least riding by sea otter). The doctor has said at least a couple months of no work & no weight on his foot. So... I guess that means more eBay and Ridemonkey.

Many thanks to Jeremiah who has gone above and beyond in getting him set up at the hospital and even driving me home last night! I know it means a lot to Donnie to have friends he can count on in times like these. We owe you big time!

Donnie will need to talk even more about bikes in the next couple months when he is unable to ride.... so i'm sure you'll be hearing from him a lot.

Thanks again for all your concern & support...

Wendy (Donnie's wife)

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
BMXman said:
Hey all,
Thanks so much for all your support and comments. Donnie is a very lucky man to have friends like you. He's supposed to be discharged tomorrow around noon... so after a couple painful hours in holiday traffic he should be home... and knowing him, not too long after that he should be back online catching up with you all. As Brian was saying... he really needs his rest right now so, as much as he loves hearing from you, he needs the rest to heal faster (after all, I'm sure he wants to be at least riding by sea otter). The doctor has said at least a couple months of no work & no weight on his foot. So... I guess that means more eBay and Ridemonkey.

Many thanks to Jeremiah who has gone above and beyond in getting him set up at the hospital and even driving me home last night! I know it means a lot to Donnie to have friends he can count on in times like these. We owe you big time!

Donnie will need to talk even more about bikes in the next couple months when he is unable to ride.... so i'm sure you'll be hearing from him a lot.

Thanks again for all your concern & support...

Wendy (Donnie's wife)
For a second I thought Donnie liked to refer to himself in 3rd person.

Wishing him a speedy return to riding.

Sep 10, 2001
After the time in the hospitol, the pain meds, no bike riding, don't be surprised if he does start to refering to himself in the 3rd person..

Brian