Quantcast

get well skookum!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Get_Some said:
I think we should have another group ride and ceremoniously REMOVE that damn log...So I'm assuming he's been through surgery and that he's on the road to recovery? Well Skookum, remember, stay off the damn thing if you can, you'll be back faster... In all reality, you're probably better of having broken the leg instead of the ankle (which I thought was the case, correct me if I'm wrong) as I'm sure you know ankle injuries are far more nagging eh... well, as has been said a hundred times, get well man, and hope to see you on your ride again in the future. :thumb: :dancing: and to everyone else, Oly, Psycho, Snacks, Tim etc, and anyone I forgot, it was great riding with you all...cheers

Dave
Yes! I want to go back and see what the trail is like after the sandy crap I only got to ride on :mumble:

Yes, the surgery went well and he should be going home today. Yes, leg was broke in two spots.

Yes, seems to be my favorite word in this post! ;)

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Serial Midget said:
What about log dancing? Will he ever be able to log dance again? :confused:
Was this anything like a River Dance?

Hope you heal quick.

In the house made of dawn.
In the story made of dawn.
On the trail of dawn.
O, Talking God.
His feet, my feet, restore.
His limbs, my limbs, restore.
His body, my body, restore.
His mind, my mind, restore.
His voice, my voice, restore.
His plumes, my plumes, restore.

With beauty before him, with beauty before me.
With beauty behind him, with beauty behind me.
With beauty above him, with beauty above me.
With beauty below him, with beauty below me.
With beauty around him, with beauty around me.

With pollen beautiful in his voice, with pollen beautiful in my voice.
It is finished in beauty. It is finished in beauty.
In the house of evening light.
From the story made of evening light.
On the trail of evening light.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I didn't really think that log was that bad. Just a freak accident I guess. :dancing: It would be nice to pile some rocks and crap up onto the log to make a ramp then We could name it after skookum. Turning the negative obstacle into a positive addition to the trail. :thumb:

The real danger was that metal pole sticking out of that tree at head level near Govey. It almost took my head off.

Thanks to everyone for a fun ride. Skookum get healed asap for our next trip down.

Tim Parker

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Well, I suppose we all have to chime in here with the same sentiments. I'm assuming Tim was more pissed at being hurt than feeling hurt. Nothing like seeing a season go by on the couch. (I've had a few of 'em.) Let's see 6-8 weeks maybe? Just in time for the fall classics. Just a little slower pace this year.
Get well.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm hoping Skookum gets on here and posts some of his unique thoughts while still under the influence of some high quality pain killers. That will be entertaining.

Get well soon.

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
TWISTED said:
I didn't really think that log was that bad. Just a freak accident I guess. :dancing: It would be nice to pile some rocks and crap up onto the log to make a ramp then We could name it after skookum. Turning the negative obstacle into a positive addition to the trail. :thumb:

The real danger was that metal pole sticking out of that tree at head level near Govey. It almost took my head off.

Thanks to everyone for a fun ride. Skookum get healed asap for our next trip down.

Tim Parker
Yep Tim I completely agree, it was a total freak accident...and a launch could be fun right there. And YES!!!! that damn pole about killed us both, someone could at least hang a flag on the thing, that was scarry. I was lucky too, I at least got a heads up from you eh :monkey:
Snacks said:
Yes! I want to go back and see what the trail is like after the sandy crap I only got to ride on :mumble:

Yes, the surgery went well and he should be going home today. Yes, leg was broke in two spots.

Yes, seems to be my favorite word in this post! ;)
Cool, good to hear it wen't well, and yes you do want to see the rest of the trtail, it's loose, but nothing like the upper section eh...there were some unreal little natural jumps and other fun stuff, but the little climbs...man I could do without those...and I was on the Lightest bike BY FAR :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey everyone thanks for the good words it goes a long way.

Guess we'll start out with the log. I really don't know what the deal was, everyone slowed up to it, so my approach was tentative, but as my rear wheel was "supposed" to go over my bike just stuck there...... So bustin out my groovies TBBXC moves to impress all the Portlanders wound up making me a true "pop" star on the third step or so. Really the crash was nothing big, just an odd wierd angle and just enough pressure....

Trying to keep this short, i want to especially thank Kevin and Amy (Trailhacker and Snacks) for being there for me from the beginning to hauling my moaning ass to Seattle. You guys are stand up the whole way and have earned lifelong respect from me.
I want to also thank Mike (Psycho1) for being a trooper and running (yes running) his big bike back up the hill in the hot sun to deliver the truck. Yes you're a psycho, but you're also truly honorable for playing the hand that was dealt and doing your part well.
Damon (Oly) your a stand up guy with the straight up dry humor to help keep me centered, all that little stuff helps and i'll never forget the look in your eye as you came up the hill to help me with your hands loaded with electric tape and zip ties. That kinda shiz is priceless. haha.
Toshi and Portland dude (please identify who you were) who was my right hand man getting off the mountain, thank you for helping someone you hardly know. You guys stepped up to the plate and helped me out and i truly appreciate it and thank you. But Toshi next time shave off the nubs off the stick before you make a "caveman splint". ;)

Suckin it up and getting off that mountain was a tough deal but you guys made it all possible and i appreciate it and thank you again. I'm thinking very serious of never doing a solo epic ever again, i couldn't have made it out of there without the help of my fellow mt. bikers.

Turned out to be a "torque" break, Tibula (big bone) breaking just above the ankle bone and the Fibula (small) bustin right below the knee. Didn't even feel that one.... But the doc was pondering doing it the old fashioned way, with just a cast. There was issue of not enough bone to put the rod in, but after some discussion about how i wanna heal fast he decided to put the rod in. Turns out that was the right thing to do because all the hardware sunk in the bone nice and solid. And the doc also told me today as he cut me loose that doing it the old fashioned way would have probably wound up with me rebreaking it because the way the break was wouldn't have "casted" up well.

So i'll be back in no time, i'm officially a roadie in about a month, if i get the go ahead from the doc. :) Then back in action in 6 weeks if all things go well.

Welp the leg is starting to hurt i gotta get off here, but i gotta share the experience of seeing this girl on a road bike haulin down the road just after i got packed off the mountain. First thought came to my mind hey hot looking blonde in an american flag motif. Damon chimes in hey you can't whine bro that gal has one leg and she's riding just fine. Sure enough i take a double take and i watched as my hero sped away down the hill. Some girl i'll never know, but she became both an inpiration and memory for putting things like this into perspective. Injuries ain't nothin, just another log to hop, and an opportunity to see the best in people.

ok ouchie ouch gotta go talk to you all tomorrow i'm sure!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum, glad to see you are up and able to get around. Kevin and I were starting to wonder when we'd see you on RM.

You were the first monkey I ever met and road with though RM. You have shown me numerous trails, great laughs, and good post ride eats the past two years. Not to mention saving Kevin from having to ride xc with me all the time. We would have done anything to get you off that mountain ;)

Have you looked at your x-rays yet?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Skookum-

Good to read you will be back in the saddle soon. It is quite true that the monkey crowd in the PNW is made up of top notch folks. So I guess I have six weeks to get ready for TBBXC -vs- Plains of Abraham. Heal quick mi amigo.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
get well skooks, sorry to hear about the injury but glad to see you are in good spirits. be patient and if the docs give you a choice of PT be sure to take them up on it, I regret not telling the docs that I wanted it, they thought my ankle would be fine seeing as i was so determined to get back on the bike, now my range of motion sucks but at least i am riding again! you will too in a bit of time, heal up and be sure to keep us all entertained on RM

Tacoma Lad

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
tacoma wa
Good to hear your good skooks, you just joined the elite pins and needles club welcome. Plus if you dont have surgery because of biking you ant biking???? not really. Get well soon and we will all have to go and ride the T-line again there are great sections at the bottom( treeless).

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Skookum said:
I'm thinking very serious of never doing a solo epic ever again, i couldn't have made it out of there without the help of my fellow mt. bikers.
The no solo's is a very advisable idea, but since you have time right now, rent the DVD "Touching the Void". It will give an idea of how strong the human spirit is when faced with your ultimate survival. It's a good story.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah i think the doc kept the X-rays or the hospital lost em. Maybe by next week i'll track em down, but yes i did look at em. Some serious crackage. :dead: :drool: :cool:
Plains of Abraham sounds like a plan, might wanna make it more like 2 months from now though. :sneaky:

I've got some physical therapy goin on for myself in exercises to do. Keepin all the wieght off the leg and doin stuff. My range of motion is painful because they had to split my knee tendon to screw the rod into my kneebone. But i got it rolling at 90 degrees already. Pain is my freind. :evil:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
About the solo thing......

We were lucky on many fronts. Big group, 1/2 mile from a town, downhill 99.9% of the way..... BUT, if things were different the story wouldnt have been so positive. What happend there could easily have happened 50 miles into BFE. A small group could have dealt with this injury, but we had gravity on our side too. We basically just had to steady him as he worked the brakes. There was one small area we had to push and it wasnt too easy.... I wouldnt want to think what it would feel like to try to do all that on your own, in the middle of nowhere on an up and down trail.. I know there are plenty of stories of survival in the wild and all.....but we could have also been hearing about this on the 5:00 news........

So, Solo (epic) riders...... dont forget to let people know where your going.... bring plenty of water, food, and first aid....and extra clothing......be prepared for the worst rather than suffering if the worst does happen.....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Plains of Abraham sounds like a plan, might wanna make it more like 2 months from now though. :sneaky:
Oh, Kevin and I wanna go!

Just try and plan it for after Sept. 26th. I'll be out of town in Boston until then.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
damm damm damm!

I guess you got plenty of time to surf the monkey and get your bike in super great awsome working order now, eh?

get well soon dude.

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Hey Skookum, I'm Frank, I was the one the right who along with Damon steadied ya on the jaunt down. Glad to hear everythings going ok man. Heal up fast and let me know when youre good to go again. Maybe we can get a Portland group together to head up north and have you show us some of the goodies up there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
frizanko said:
Hey Skookum, I'm Frank, I was the one the right who along with Damon steadied ya on the jaunt down. Glad to hear everythings going ok man. Heal up fast and let me know when youre good to go again. Maybe we can get a Portland group together to head up north and have you show us some of the goodies up there.
Thanks bro, i really appreciate the help man. And yah i'm always down for showing what i know to visitors, getting Portland area and Seattle area riders together sharing the good rides is definately a must for the future.

Hey spin thanks for the humor and clean your pm box too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
frizanko said:
Hey thanks for all your help getting Skookum off the mountain.

Yes! Please round up the PTL crew and head up....we have some pretty good DH trails up here too :thumb:

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
Holy crap! :eek: I just checked out the pic's from your little adventure. It sounds like your coming along ok, but that sucks you got banged up! Take it easy, and get better soon. :thumb:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Skookum said:
Hey spin thanks for the humor but can you please wipe the injun slur, and clean your pm box too.

cleaned. meant no harm. politcal incorrectness aside or inside or whatever. :monkey:

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Damn Skooks! I go out of town for a week, and you get all busted up. Glad to hear you're coming along well, but sorry to hear about your ruined summer.

Heal up fast!!

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Man, it must be the season for injuries.... and here I was thinking that my stepping on a nail the other day was a real pain in the arse. Really sorry to hear about all the injuries. My theory is that everyone's bones are getting brittle because it's been so dry lately. You PNW'ers need the rain to keep you in good shape. Well, I hope everyone heals up really fast!!!! Sorry for not posting earlier, but I haven't been to this forum for quite some time...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
oxygen_77 said:
and here I was thinking that my stepping on a nail the other day was a real pain in the arse. ...
Not unless you sit on one. hehe. A nail in your foot really wakes you up don't it? hehe. i gotta piece of hot tar tearoff slip outta this guys hand with a simplex nail on the tip. it whipped back toward me and drove a simplex right into my kneecap, oh boy did that feel good. :D

But yah a broken leg sucks worse.... haha

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Skookum said:
i gotta piece of hot tar tearoff slip outta this guys hand with a simplex nail on the tip. it whipped back toward me and drove a simplex right into my kneecap, oh boy did that feel good. :D
Yeah, the nail that I stepped on was a Simplex... I could feel the ridges on it when I pulled it outta' my foot... Roofing is too dangerous... ;)