Quantcast

Gettin' A SS . . . I Can Already Feel The Pain

Old_Dude

Monkey
Pics are currently just pieces in boxes. Color is black. Size is medium, which the dealer told me would fit what was normally a large (we compared top tube lengths from my 19 1/2 inch xc bike to the specs for this one).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ito said:
I would go with something a bit nicer than the Tektro brakes.
Totally agree about the brakes. Tektro ain't super for brakes. Good choice upgrading.

Edit: You wont regret ODI Lock-ons either. (Unless you do them up too hard one day - It's quite easy to strip those threads and they don't need to be that tight!)

Old_Dude

Monkey
WOW!!! WOW!!! MORE WOW!!!

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE IT!!! IT'S GREAT!!!

I just got back from my first ride and . . . it was really, truly awesome!!!

I made the minor mistake of not having Webcyclery finish the fork installation and also I forgot to order brake cables. So, I got the local bike shop to do it - best $37 I've ever spent in my life!!!

General feelings --> I was really pleased how this thing rides - it really rolls over rocks and ruts very well. Because the wheels are fairly large, the overall appearance of the bike is "big". But it doesn't feel big - at all. In fact, when you stand up to climb you really begin to appreciate how light this bike is - also, on the downhills it's rock-solid. Tracking when going fast was very predictable and oh so very fun!!!

You gotta remember, I've been riding a totally rigid bike now for about 2 years. It has gears and 26 inch wheels. It's also fairly light - probably about the same as this one, I guess. So, my first impression from riding this thing is just totally, totally awesome!!! I got to the trail and went about 50 yards and came back - two minor seat adjustments and then I was on my way. This was around 5:30. I went to Berry College and took off on a fire road that was mostly flat. I had planned this trip for the last month, or so.

The ride gradually gained altitude for the first little bit (a little over a mile). I had the intention of just seeing how far I could go up Mount Berry, again, on the fire roads, but I was amazed that I went all the way up, up, up - then more up, up, up!!! I just kept going and finally made it to the access road that goes around the top of Mount Berry.

Blah, blah, blah.

Then around the mountain and finally the descent!!!

I've gotta go, but this thing TOTALLY, TOTALLY ROCKS!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Old_Dude

Monkey
Here's a brief update - I've been able to put on many miles in the last few weeks with this bike - following are my observations after my last ride yesterday on this machine:

1 - My fantasies about single-speeding have come true
2 - I am able to climb much better than I ever thought possible
3 - My index fingers and thumbs are still trying to figure out what's going on
4 - I haven't ridden one of my geared, 26 inch bikes since I got this thing (that will change as I'll begin road riding again this week).
5 - I have come to briefly understand the SS mindset . . . and I love it - I am enjoying mountain biking more than I ever have (I began doing this back in '87 when I bought a "real" mountain bike - a Diamonback Ascent EX - LOL)
6 - This bike could use a little more clearance between the rear brake noodle and the tire (when using a "short" chain - when the axle is almost all the way towards the front)
7 - I love the quiet ride
8 - I appreciate the "focus on the ride" philosophy
9 - I'm learning how to attack hills and finding out what a wimp I used to be . . . the whole "better shift down when it gets rough" mentality is so lame and unnecessary
10 - I remember seeing my first SS and thinking - what kind of idiot would wanna ride offroad with one of those. I began seeing the simple beauty of SS bikes. I began to rethink what it might be like to ride a SS. Over the years, I read about Sheldon Brown's SS comments, and many others. The federal government "goofed up" one of my checks and . . . well, I couldn't think of a better way to spend part of the dough, so . . .

Thanks again to everyone who's helped me out with this bike - it's really, really wonderful and I thoroughly enjoy the experience. Thanks again to webcyclery - Mean Todd is really a nice guy and does a great job.

Happy riding,

OD
:)