Quantcast

Gettin' stiff

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I want to improve the stiffness of my c'dale rush frame, which is a bit noodly with only a single pivot and nothing else. It has a 135mm rear.

What's the best option for a stiff rear hub? Fun bolts, 10mm thru, 10-12mm through step down? The bike is super light so I'm not worried about a few grams in a through axle, but I want something that's stiff and will securely tie the back end of the swingarm together. QR isn't slicing it. Asking here because nobody goes in the tech or AM forums...

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I converted the rear hub on my Nickel to a 12mm through, and I'm using the Azonic step down axle. I can't compare to a 10mm through (that option wasn't available for my hub), but this feels stiffer than previous fun bolt style bolt on hubs I've used.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I noticed a big difference when I went from QR to fun bolts on my 2005 Enduro running a CK hub. Can't compare it to other options you are listing.

I can say that I really like the 142x12 on my Mojo HD. If you can swap the dropouts, I would imagine that's your best option.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can't swap drops. My preference is to 10mm through as that would fit right in, but 135x12 would give more hub options and funbolts would probably be lighter, but I'd rather maximize stiffness than save 10g.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
A 10mm qr I imo does wonder for stiffness in the back. I am running the one from Superstar, comes in all the colorways of the rainbow.

In my experience the hub is also source of concern, slightest play will make a big difference in feel of flex from the rear. Having hub caps that have a large contact area will also provide a little extra stiffnes

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i noticed a difference when i used a DT RWS 10mm on my old hardtail. id love to use it on my Butcher but my current cheapo Mavic Crossride rear wheel wont fit it.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I would think a fun bolt style setup would be your best option because you are getting clamping force on both sides of the rear hub/dropout interface.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
135x12 hub, with an azonic step-down bolt on axle is notably stiffer than a DT QRMS 10mm axle, just FWIW. really your best bet, IMO.

also the azonic is much nicer than the loaded or atom lab step-downs, IMO. and 1/3 the price.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
135x12 hub, with an azonic step-down bolt on axle is notably stiffer than a DT QRMS 10mm axle, just FWIW. really your best bet, IMO.

also the azonic is much nicer than the loaded or atom lab step-downs, IMO. and 1/3 the price.
I would probably do the hadley 10mm axle if I went the thru-bolt route. Would that matter, or is the problem the diameter?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
get a 10X135
and a carbon rims.
when I did that on my old MKIII ... wow. the differents ...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Possibly a rim with a higher spoke count?
I don't think it's necessarily the wheel. It's a fairly stout rim, 32x an XT hub right now. I'd like to buy a rich-guy hub, and I may as well get one with a through axle or better than QR setup.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Your rim sounds plenty stiff. But you could always go 24" Sun Double Wides with 36 spokes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I want to improve the stiffness of my c'dale rush frame, which is a bit noodly with only a single pivot and nothing else. It has a 135mm rear.

What's the best option for a stiff rear hub? Fun bolts, 10mm thru, 10-12mm through step down? The bike is super light so I'm not worried about a few grams in a through axle, but I want something that's stiff and will securely tie the back end of the swingarm together. QR isn't slicing it. Asking here because nobody goes in the tech or AM forums...
Depends in where the weak point is, my foes had asym stays, the shortest stays possible, a stiffening scissor link, huge main pivot, etc. Then add the hub flanges, spoke cross, etc. A stiffer axle may just allow the rear end to flex more, as it imparts more leverage. I used a 10mm bmx axle with nuts on a few bikes for various reasons, it was as stiff as anything IMO (to mean far stiffer than a QR IMO), but it also doesn't change the inherent nature of a bike either in my experience. Hard to explain maybe, but another way of saying it is that taking a stiff rear end and putting a QR hub in it doesn't turn it into a noodle, and likewise a big thru axle in a flexy rear end doesn't make it "not flexy".

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a Prophet (same rear end as your Rush), and switching from QR to funbolts (DMR Revolver hub) helped a lot when it comes to torsional stiffness. Don't expect a dramatic increase though, since the design and aluminium Cannondale used doesn't help much in that department for starters...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah I don't expect it to suddenly become super rigid, but mitigating as much flex as possible would be nice, especially if I buy a new hub.