Quantcast

getting a bunch of money, need some suggestions

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
alright as the title states i just found out i should be getting a large amount of money in the next few months and using it all for a bike. i was looking at the specialized demo 8 pro or the demo 9. im looking for something that pedals well enough to take on the occasional trail ride but burly enough to handle dh and a lot of freeriding. any suggestions will help a lot. would like it to have at least 7 to 8 inches of travel and still pedal well. i have a thing for dc forks too. im 5'11 205 pounds

thanks for the help

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
demo's arent the best option for being able to pedal up hills. if your looking for a downhill bike go with the demos. if your looking for something to pedal uphill go with vp free, uzzi, seven point, or buillit. all will handle dh very well just not like the demo nine. also all of those bikes were designed to be capable of climbing but also being able to decend. so its up to you man. just figure out what you want the bike to do. if your doing lift access or dont mind pushing up hills then go with the demo. if you want to pedal the hills and dont do much lift access go with the four stated suggestions above.good luck man and when you get it we want pics.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
you should get the uzzie but if you want a bike that can hndle it all with a trail feeling get the new treck i herd it pedals better then some XC bikes

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
if it were me man i would stick to strictly vp designed bikes. nothing else. they come with tons of smoth active travel but they also can climb with the xc rigs, and still be able to make it down the mountain as fast as you want. vp designs are proven and are made to be climbed and hucked with some fast dh in the middle so its up to you, but that is what i would do.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
ShdowConspiracy said:
alright as the title states i just found out i should be getting a large amount of money in the next few months and using it all for a bike. i was looking at the specialized demo 8 pro or the demo 9. im looking for something that pedals well enough to take on the occasional trail ride but burly enough to handle dh and a lot of freeriding. any suggestions will help a lot. would like it to have at least 7 to 8 inches of travel and still pedal well. i have a thing for dc forks too. im 5'11 205 pounds

thanks for the help
I have the D9 and love it, but it is a pig and wouldn't want to do extensive uphills on it. I do, and it is fine but I only have 1 bike now and made the choice because I would rather have too much travel than not enough.

I would get the d8 between those two since it can be built brought down to around 38 or so lbs which is not bad for a heavy duty trail bike. The FSR design is one of the best pedaling designs as well. just mo though

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I haven't yet met the bike that is better than the vp-free for what you describe, esp. if you plan to run a dual crown. But keep in mind that regardless of how efficient your new bike will pedal, if it is capable of DH and a lot of freeriding under your 205 lbs it will never be much fun for climbing or trail riding. I mean yeah, you can use a granny ring and a full seatpost but you're still looking at roughly 40 pounds to drag around on fat sticky tires and burly (heavy) wheels. I'm 6' and 200 lbs, I love my free but there is still no holy grail if you are looking for serious DH/freeride capability AND something you'd want to pedal around for a 4-5 hour trail ride.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
this is where the thumbs down smily would come in handy. vp free deffinatly is a good thing, but the boxxer i would say no. i would say 888 or super t. something besides the boxxer. i mean people say good things about the new 06 boxxers but i dont give into hype until i ride one. so i stick by the fact that a 888 will be the best fork for the bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
frznnomad said:
this is where the thumbs down smily would come in handy. vp free deffinatly is a good thing, but the boxxer i would say no. i would say 888 or super t. something besides the boxxer. i mean people say good things about the new 06 boxxers but i dont give into hype until i ride one. so i stick by the fact that a 888 will be the best fork for the bike.
If the Ride is the U-turn, travel adjustable fork it would help make the bike more versatile. You can stick with your opinion but unless you've had negative experience with an '06, it's not a bad idea at all.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sinister splinter mx with a boxxer ride would be my single bike set up or a travis 150mm. my splinter mxs pedals like a hardtail even with very little air in the swinger 4way

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
also gripper the past does repeat itself time and time again. so ive had bad experiances with 03,04,05 so im not much of a boxxer fan. they very well could have fixed the problems, but i aint gonna believe it untile i can put it through its passes.