Quantcast

Getting a passport

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Despite my fear of terrorists, strange food, hostile locals, my love for Bush and all things American, and Montezuma's Revenge; my company wants me to travel internationally.

However, I don't have a passport. Any recommendations on how to get one easily?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You can get them at the post office now I think.

But Peach is right, your company should do it. If my company gets someone a passport, they pay out the ass to get it expedited, even if there's no hurry. It's pretty funny.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Despite my fear of terrorists, strange food, hostile locals, my love for Bush and all things American, and Montezuma's Revenge; my company wants me to travel internationally.

However, I don't have a passport. Any recommendations on how to get one easily?
There's a passport office in the US Postal building next to the West Oakland Bart station, pretty easy and never a line the few times I've been there. As for what you need, harness the power of the intarweb, then call ahead and see about an appointment or what you can do to expedite.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Post office will do it. A lot of post offices will even do the photos now, but if they won't, they'll be able to recommend a place that will.

It's expensive to get it expedited... hell, it's like $80 or $90 under normal circumstances.

New RFID passports are coming... I believe they're already being issued.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Post office will do it. A lot of post offices will even do the photos now, but if they won't, they'll be able to recommend a place that will.

It's expensive to get it expedited... hell, it's like $80 or $90 under normal circumstances.

New RFID passports are coming... I believe they're already being issued.
They started issuing RFIDS about a month ago. Not sure if that is to the general public or just to Gov't employees though.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
67 sounds about right...

sanjuro, you have been warned... it s a big, scary world out there... be carefull... soon you ll return (hopefully) and you ll realize that the world outside of the US really doesn t exist... it ll all be a dream...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know a guy who can make you one in a few hours. Email me a photo and paypal me $1000 and Ill get it right out, next day air.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Interesting....my girl just got her passport....I'll have to go look at it.
As Transcend said, they started a month or so ago (beginning of August IIRC), so if she applied for her passport before that, she may not have received one.

I almost applied for mine when I heard the RFID ones were coming, to get in before the RFID ones started being issued. I don't really like the idea of carrying around ID that can be read remotely.

imploded

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Uxbridge, MA
Will your company be taking care of all visa expediting? This is important, as the average visa (for my travel, I go to the third world a lot) runs about $800 a person. Most anyplace you travel internationally will require a business visa for your work.

Expect $110 in outlay by the time you are done. $10 for passport photos, and (IIRC) it is $97 for a passport sent through normal service. $67 goes to the US Department of State, and $30 goes to the USPS.

The process is easy. You'll need two passport sized photos, proof of your birth and photo ID (license, official state ID, military ID) brought to the local postoffice with your completed form. Turnaround runs 4-8 weeks, depending on your passport centers workload.

Plan for two passport photos for any visas you will apply for. Expect at least a 4 week lead time on visas, visa expediting can be horrifically expensive (see my $800 comment above).

If you get in a bind, PM or email me, I can help you hook up with people who can make things move along very smoothly for you. I have gotten someone a passport and requisite travel visas in 24 hours before...

Cheers,

-Andrew

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I know a guy who can make you one in a few hours. Email me a photo and paypal me $1000 and Ill get it right out, next day air.
Heh, watch what you say...you never know who's listening...

Sanjuro, shoot me a PM if you have any more passport questions. Generally, it's a simple process.

MD

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
67 sounds about right...

sanjuro, you have been warned... it s a big, scary world out there... be carefull... soon you ll return (hopefully) and you ll realize that the world outside of the US really doesn t exist... it ll all be a dream...
I assume you moved here because you were one of the lucky ones we let into America.

You are here legally, right?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You are probably jealous that we have Infineon again (and could be the Nat Champion for 07 as well) but the WC will never come to Rotorua again...
I wouldn't count on that. They are pushing for a Rotorua World Cup finals and a Cairns worlds 2 weeks in a row so that it makes financial /travel sense.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
just kidding. the nationals were an hour from house and i was against having them there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
no, thats the rotting corpses of the FBI agents i had to take 'care' of......
And by 'care,' I assume you're speaking of your necrophilia again?

Watch out for Mulder's corpse...I'm sure he's capable of re-animation...

MD

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Check on the RFIDs before you get a passport. Some agencies are issuing them, others are not.

Nothing worse than carrying around something in your pocket that would allow someone to pick you out in a crowd as an american.

I got my latest passport ~2 years ago and its almost full. Hoping they don't screw me and just give me extra pages like they did in the past.