Quantcast

Getting a Shuttle from Whistler to Squamish with bikes?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Heading out to whistler at the end of this month for 3 months which I'm so excited for, and I'm just wondering how easy it is to get over to squamish from whistler with a bike? The whistler tracks look a bit snowy at the moment, so we are keen to use the first couple of weeks to mix it up a bit and head to some other places instead of hitting the bikepark everyday on the few tracks that will be open at the very start of the season.
Thanks!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Most of my first season in BC I relied on the bus to get from Squamish to the bike park.

The municipal bus is a bit of a crapshoot; there are only 2 bike carriers on the front and if they're full you're out of luck unless you get a nice driver who'll let you bring your bike inside and that's pretty rare. If there's more than 2 in your group you are, needless to say, screwed. The schedule is pretty much the opposite of convenient too as it's designed to ferry workers from Squamish to Whistler in the morning before the start of their shifts and back again in the evening. The bike carriers are an exercise in faith if you've got a DH rig too; they barely accommodate the wheelbase of your average, medium downhill bike and at the speed the drivers attack highway 99 it can get a bit nerve-racking watching your bike flop around in the carrier. It also costs $8 each way now, which is a joke.

The Greyhound costs more and does charge extra for bikes but you get what you pay for; a schedule that's actually convenient, coach seating and the bikes get stored under the coach in one of the luggage compartments where you can also sling your helmet, gear etc instead of carrying it with you. I ended up using the Greyhound a lot more than the muni bus in my first season, even though it cost more.