Quantcast

getting a stuck lightbulb out of the socket

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
so last night we had a light blow and, when i tried to get it out the bulb broke off leaving the base lodged in the socket. this has happened to me before (old house+old fixtures = stuck lightbulbs) and i usually just use a wrench to get it out. wrench didnt work, potato deffinitely didnt work. we've tried a whole bunch of crap and can't get this light bulb out. i think i'm going to run to home depot and buy a new fixture.

any ideas that can save me from having to go shopping are much appreciated.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Make sure the light is out and use needle nose pliers. I have also heard that you can cut a potato in two and jam it on to the broken glass to unscrew it. Never tried it myself as I am a fan of tools and not Martha Stewart.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
turn off the light, spray some penetrating lube in there, wait, try the potato/wrench again.

Also stuffing like a kitchen towel up in it works kinda like the potato theory.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Something that has worked for me in the past is using a pair of needlenose pliers. Grab one side of the base and bend it in and use that to twist the thing out. Sounds like you might've already tried something like that though. Good luck

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Seriously use a pair of needle nose pliers. Just shove one of the noses between the metal part of the bulb and socket. The metal part of the bulb will bend easily and make it easy to get a grip. Then you can turn it out.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
used needle nose pliers last night, the base of the bulb is just falling apart. i'm afraid that it will just get to the point that there isn't anything left to grab onto. i've got it soaking in some wd 40 right now. hopefully it will break loose.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
Before you go sticking anything into a lightbulb socket or working around any electricity, I'd go rack out the breaker for that light. Sure, if you get shocked you'll live but to me working on an electrical appliance with juice running to it is like riding without a helmet..you're taking a chance.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
what if its not moving at all. it is definitely not going to turn out of this socket. am i better off just buying a new fixture. at least i know this **** won't happen again.

J

JRB

laura said:
am i better off just buying a new fixture. at least i know this **** won't happen again.
Correct. If you don't want fancy, $10 or $12 will have you up and going.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
IF YOU DECIDE TO FIX IT AND NOT BUY A NEW ONE, MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE BREAKER OFF OR PULL THE FUSE IF IT'S AN OLDER HOUSE BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER WITH THIS. AFTER YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT THERE IS NO LIVE CURRENT TO THE FIXTURE, THEN YOU MAY USE NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS AND PENETRATING LUBE, OR WHATEVER ELSE IT TAKES TO REMOVE THE BROKEN SH!TE.

Be careful, it only takes .5 amps to kill a person, you have anywhere from 1 to 20 amps on any given household lighting fixture or outlet. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
To all you electrophobes out there - if you turn the light switch off to the fixture there *is no electricity getting to the socket* :rolleyes:

Next - use a screwdriver to pry the metal portion of the old bulb away from the socket. Just keep prying away until all of the old bulb junk is gone. The needlenose may work once you've pried enough of the rusty/stuck junk off the socket.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
laura said:
what if its not moving at all. it is definitely not going to turn out of this socket. am i better off just buying a new fixture. at least i know this **** won't happen again.
There's no guarantee that a year from now with a *new* cheap light fixture you won't be facing the same damn problem..... :mumble:

-S.S.-

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
when i moved into my spectacular apartment complex that's like totally the best place in the whole wide world, 2 of the light fixtures in my room were like that. i called and said "what da ****, yo. i realize my aparment wasn't cleaned at all like it was supposed to have been, and my parents and mandi's parents had to waste 4 fuggin' hours while your wetback sons of bitches cleaned my apartment and carpet, which was supposed to have been done long before i moved it, but could you send someone to fix these fixtures? and why am i being charged for furniture when the only furniture i see is mine?"

they said "ok, and we can't change your lease. or give you furniture. or do anything 'cept put on makeup."

so i got some neednose pliers and worked on the thing for 30mins, yanking, twisting, tearing. in my head, i was hoping to pull the fan down. eventually it came loose. so i say keep working with the needle nose. unless you don't mind buying a new one.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
SkaredShtles said:
There's no guarantee that a year from now with a *new* cheap light fixture you won't be facing the same damn problem..... :mumble:

-S.S.-

yeah but since the plan is to be out of here in 2 years, i think i'll just pay the 10 bucks a year on new fixtures instead of getting all pissed off that i can't get the lightbulb out. i could just go two years without an overhead light. ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
laura said:
yeah but since the plan is to be out of here in 2 years, i think i'll just pay the 10 bucks a year on new fixtures instead of getting all pissed off that i can't get the lightbulb out. i could just go two years without an overhead light. ;)
Remember - switching an overhead fixture gets into *real* electrician-type work. :thumb:

-S.S.-

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
SkaredShtles said:
To all you electrophobes out there - if you turn the light switch off to the fixture there *is no electricity getting to the socket* :rolleyes:

Next - use a screwdriver to pry the metal portion of the old bulb away from the socket. Just keep prying away until all of the old bulb junk is gone. The needlenose may work once you've pried enough of the rusty/stuck junk off the socket.

-S.S.-
Your right, there shouldn't be any electricity going to the socket, but rule number 1 when performing electrical repairs on any AC or large DC circuit is to disconnect the power (this is what was drilled into my head in all of the electrical classes that I've taken over the years, and for good reason). Many times in industrial applications, you don't have the luxury of cutting off the power to the load, but in this home application, it is definitely a feasible option. Remember, safety first. :D Also, if it's wired as a switch leg, where power comes into the light first and then to the switch, then there is going to be constant power in the light. Therefore, there will always be power on one side of the light itself.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
BUCKET said:
Your right, there shouldn't be any electricity going to the socket, but rule number 1 when performing electrical repairs on any AC or large DC circuit is to disconnect the power (this is what was drilled into my head in all of the electrical classes that I've taken over the years, and for good reason). Many times in industrial applications, you don't have the luxury of cutting off the power to the load, but in this home application, it is definitely a feasible option. Remember, safety first. :D Also, if it's wired as a switch leg, where power comes into the light first and then to the switch, then there is going to be constant power in the light. Therefore, there will always be power on one side of the light itself.
Good Lord. I'm all for safety :thumb:, but this is an overhead light fixture in an apartment....... just turn the switch off and have at it.

Besides - a nice little 110 jolt ain't gonna kill ya. :D

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles said:
Good Lord. I'm all for safety :thumb:, but this is an overhead light fixture in an apartment....... just turn the switch off and have at it.

-S.S.-
1) Open the circuit breaker or remove the fuse.
2) Remove any metal jewelry, watch, etc.
3) Test to make sure nothing's hot.
4) Work, inasmuch as possible, with one hand.
5)... etc.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't. Hire an electrician. :nope:

J

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
Yeah, doctors and therapists shock crazy people all the time, I think they call it shock therapy. I'm feeling a little crazy, maybe I'll go to the kitchen and find a fork and an outlet. :sneaky:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
johnbryanpeters said:
1) Open the circuit breaker or remove the fuse.
2) Remove any metal jewelry, watch, etc.
3) Test to make sure nothing's hot.
4) Work, inasmuch as possible, with one hand.
5)... etc.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't. Hire an electrician. :nope:

J
Bah! That $hit ain't rocket science, you know........... :p

-S.S.-

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
BUCKET said:
Yeah, doctors and therapists shock crazy people all the time, I think they call it shock therapy. I'm feeling a little crazy, maybe I'll go to the kitchen and find a fork and an outlet. :sneaky:

Use a housekey and a plug....much better!

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
BUCKET said:
I'm feeling a little crazy, maybe I'll go to the kitchen and find a fork and an outlet. :sneaky:
Our codes require GFI outlets in wet areas, so hopefully the little "click" will shut that leg off before you lose too many brain cells.

Seriously tho: your advice on hitting the breaker is solid. "The switch said 'off'" doesn't help much when the juice is sending hand tools flying across the room (best case) or knocking you off a ladder (not best case).

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Fathead said:
Our codes require GFI outlets in wet areas, so hopefully the little "click" will shut that leg off before you lose too many brain cells.

Seriously tho: your advice on hitting the breaker is solid. "The switch said 'off'" doesn't help much when the juice is sending hand tools flying across the room (best case) or knocking you off a ladder (not best case).

I live in a crack house; we don't have GFI's.

At a former job, I saw a guy after 480V's blew his finger tips completly off.

SkaredShtles said:

-S.S.-
You never know what kind of idiot wired it up in the first place, especially in older houses. I have seen a few circuits with the neutral side switched instead of the hot lead.

I replaced a water heater a few years back that was wired wrong. Both fuses were removed from the panel and I still got some killer sparks when I tested for power across the leads with a screwdriver. Pulled the mains to the whole house to do that one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Psychic_Pimp said:
You never know what kind of idiot wired it up in the first place, especially in older houses. I have seen a few circuits with the neutral side switched instead of the hot lead.
:eek:
You, sir, make a very compelling argument for flipping the breaker and testing the leads. :thumb:

-S.S.-