Quantcast

Getting back into biking in northern VA

Nihilation

Chimp
Sep 26, 2006
When I was younger I used to ride a lot. I built up and sold bikes in my neighborhood when I was like 10. The GT street lineup was popular up until my parents bought me a GT Pro Series Team for Christmas one year. I loved it and my friends suddenly starting building these more grungry style off road bikes- dirt trails were the greatest but I didn't do any of the hardcore stuff that I have seen some of you post here(like massive jumps). A few years later I got my first car... and the bikes were put away, rarely touched. Two years ago I thought it'd be cool to get back into biking and that I should try a mountain bike, so I bought a Hardrock Pro Disc- I've ridden it twice. Mainly because I don't have the friends that I used to who enjoy riding still. Fast forward to today. I'm 23, live in northern VA and I would like to put that bike, or even my BMX to use.

I'm hoping there will be some people here who can help. What am I looking for? Well to start, I'm not trying to break my neck or any limbs for that matter. I enjoy the faster paced trails with lots of turns and small jumps along the way. I rode Fountain Head after I got the Hardrock and that was just too hardcore for me. I managed through it, but I didn't find it as fun as being able to really haul ass on a smooth, worn in dirt trail. The most fun I've had recently was on a cruise down to Jamaica, I took one of those downhill mountain biking tours. The group ended up splitting into rider skill levels and the descent down in the lead pack was soooo much fun.:banana:

I think I'm rambling now, so ... Submit New Thread. Done.:bonk:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If Fountainhead is too rough on you, I'd suggest Schaeffer Farms in Gaithersburg. By the time you get used to Schaeffer Farms, you'll be broken-in enough to realize Fountainhead is fun. By the time you get used to Fountainhead, you'll be ready for Patapsco or Gambrill / Watershed. Along the journey, you'll come to realize what style or type of riding you most appreciate and are best suited for.

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
Try Wakefield as well, depending on where you live, it's not that big a commetment as to going all the way out to Schaffer Farms. As soon as you get used to wakefield, try Lake Accotink.

Nihilation

Chimp
Sep 26, 2006
Try Wakefield as well, depending on where you live, it's not that big a commetment as to going all the way out to Schaffer Farms. As soon as you get used to wakefield, try Lake Accotink.
Wakefield Park in Annandale off of Braddock Rd? Accotink Park in Springfield? I work in Alexandria right off of 395/Edsall Rd so those are both within ten minutes. Hmmm, thanks! :cheers:

cannan

Chimp
Jul 26, 2006
I've just gotten back into mountain biking as well and I've been doing Wakefield, Accotink, and Colt's Neck which starts in the back parking lot of the Reston Ice Rink (skatequest) because it's real close to my work in Reston.

When I'm down at my parents sometimes on the weekends I do the fireroads in the Prince William Forest Park which can be pretty fast and fun as well.

BTW: I see your username on just about every auto site I'm on (honda-tech in my ricer days, and now Bimmerforums)

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Wakefield Park in Annandale off of Braddock Rd? Accotink Park in Springfield? I work in Alexandria right off of 395/Edsall Rd so those are both within ten minutes. Hmmm, thanks! :cheers:
Although I'm out of riding for about a month due to a broken shock I also live and work right around Edsall & 395. So let me know in the near future if you want to check them out.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Yes to both of those. Wakefield is right off Braddock road just after you cross over the beltway. Take Edsal to Backlick, turn right, then left on Braddock and go til you hit the park. For Accotink, turn left on Backlick, then right on Highland. Accotink park road will be on the right, then the entrance is on the left. Both of those are good for beginners. If Fountainhead was too much, these will probably be more to your liking.

VSBJake

Chimp
Jul 21, 2006
NoVa
My vote is for Wakefield/accotink also. Super fun without any long or steep climbs! Check Conway-Robinson for easy/fun trails too; it's almost flat, only 8 or so miles and has some fun sections

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Those are the ones. I live within spitting distance of Accotink and a stones throw from Wakefield. I'd be happy to show you around either.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
With all the rain, you'll want to stay on the high side of the path in Accotink and away from the streamside at Wakefield. Do they still do nightrides there with lamps? I once got chased by a ranger for riding at night solo there with a bike lamp. I got away and proceeded to celebrate my escape within sight of him at the top of the hill by the dam next to the elevated train trestle...you know, the one that the homemade bungeejumper and various teens have gotten themselves killed on.

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
No more nite rides in accotink. But it's allowed in wakefield on mon, tues and thurs only. I think you have to be out of the park by 10:30.

Nihilation

Chimp
Sep 26, 2006
Sunday morning? Saturday afternoon? So tired right now that I'm not really motivated to think of using more energy, lol.