Quantcast

Getting Back Into It

Fatcrobat

Chimp
Feb 25, 2009
Guys,

I want to get a few downhill/super d races in this year. I haven't raced downhill in almost 10 years. The last one was Downieville DH back in 1999 and I also did the Hollister series back in the day - sport and expert class.

What would you recomend for a guy in the East Bay to get going again?

I wanna go fast!

If you ain't first, you're last!

:cheers:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey man,

Do you still have a bike? Looking for an upgrade? Do you want a mid range travel bike (5-6 inches) or did you want to go big bike with 8 inches? I cannot say anything bad about Tomac Mountain Bikes. I know they were around when you were racing/riding. They have new owners, still backed by Jonny T himself and have some SWEET new frames that they started producing in the last year. www.tomac.com

Plenty of stuff going on in the Bay Area.

There is a dh/super-d-ish race this weekend in Salinas. Check it out! A lot of us will be out there!

http://cccx.org/dh/2009/index.shtml

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Well, what kinda' bike are you used to riding? Are you thinking DH on a hardtail with a long-travel fork? A full suspension? And what time of racing do you like to do?

CCCX and Sea Otter aren't exactly true "DH" courses, but Northstar is. And that'll definitely get your blood pumping!

Fatcrobat

Chimp
Feb 25, 2009
Well, what kinda' bike are you used to riding? Are you thinking DH on a hardtail with a long-travel fork? A full suspension? And what time of racing do you like to do?

CCCX and Sea Otter aren't exactly true "DH" courses, but Northstar is. And that'll definitely get your blood pumping!
Just looking for local DH or super d races, guys. I got lots of bikes(HT, 4 inch, 6 inch and 8 inch travel rigs) and I've been riding this whole time... just haven't raced in a while.

anything like cccx in the east bay?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I think CCCX is the only local race series until you get up into the Tahoe area (Northstar racing).

you should try to make it out to CCCX, though. If nothing else, it's a good warm up for the heavier DH riding, and everyone's nice so it's a ton of fun.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
If you come down to South Bay (san jose) i can take you to a couple of places and see what you like. If you think its easy then we can go out to some other places as well. A group of us, generally between 3 people up to 12 do shuttle runs since we all hate up hill. I am going this weekend if your interested.

Fatcrobat

Chimp
Feb 25, 2009
If you come down to South Bay (san jose) i can take you to a couple of places and see what you like. If you think its easy then we can go out to some other places as well. A group of us, generally between 3 people up to 12 do shuttle runs since we all hate up hill. I am going this weekend if your interested.
I might have given you the impression I'm a beginner or out of shape or something.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

I'll be at cccx this weekend. On the podium.