Quantcast

getting dirt

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
So me and my friends want to build some dirt jumps. But the biggest problem is finding dirt, in the past we had used fallen trees and rocks as filler but the place we are considering building at is missing alot of that. Its not the fact that there is a lack of dirt its that the dirt is almost as hard as concrete. Any suggestions? and past experiences?

We were thinking of renting a tiller or one of those handheld landscaping drills but that would leave death defying holes all over the place.

Thanks
Jon

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I've heard of people going by construction sites and asking the workers that if they needed to dump the dirt, they could dump it at their spot.

I hear they usually have to pay to dump the dirt elsewhere, so there is a bit of an incentive there.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I deal with the "concrete" type dirt where I dig. I guess with the lack of anywhere else to build I just chisle away at what I have to work with. I also encounter a large amount of roots. After digging about 10-12" down I finally hit good dirt. The best thing to do is get a shovel deep whole started and slowly work your way around the whole like you're shaving the sides off and then repeat the process if you want to go deeper. It'll still be dry and clumpy but after a good rain it's easier to work with and shape. When it doesn't rain I use a backpack sprayer you use to spray weeds. That's just my experience.