Quantcast

Getting good food for cheap

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've found that a lot of our local restaurants (SD, LA, Denver as well) are selling off their inventory at wholesale prices. Most places are listing on Nextdoor, a local Facebook page, or Craigslist. We're going to be buying 4# of sushi grade ahi tuna for $14/lb vs. normal retail $35-40. It's helping them get rid of inventory without going negative and you can get stuff for cheap.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
interesting.....

i will wait and see if ray nathans bbq near me starts selling off shit cheap once nc drops the ban hammer on everyone...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Several restaurants locally are basically grocers now.
They're not selling their inventory as much as they're a pass through for their vendors.
Raw meat, shellfish, veg etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Island creek oysters were selling at wholesale. If i knew how to shuck and loved oysters enough to plow through 70 in a day, I'd be all over that...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Island creek oysters were selling at wholesale. If i knew how to shuck and loved oysters enough to plow through 70 in a day, I'd be all over that...
I still don't understand oysters. They just taste like soggy pasta seawater. Is there something I'm missing there?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I still don't understand oysters. They just taste like soggy pasta seawater. Is there something I'm missing there?

I never liked them until I got dragged to some Oyster bar near the fisherman's terminal and holy shit were they good.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As the world is ending for humankind, I hereby relinquish all of my allocation of oysters to whoever wants them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And these ones didn't taste like sea slime?
No, at least not all of them. The menu ranked the various types according to their 'oceany' flavor, or something like that. The strong ones were too much but I enjoyed the mid and mild flavored ones. That being said, I would probably avoid oysters that are listed simply as oysters. It would be like ordering 'cow meat', you don't know what you are getting.