Quantcast

Getting into it. My first MB advice/opinions needed.

Happybandido

Chimp
Jun 4, 2015
I'm going to buy my first bike and had my eyes on a Superfly 9.6 because that from my limited knowledge was a really good value for the price. I went to my LBS and asked about it and he proceeded talk to me about the 9.6 and also offered me the Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29 as the closest thing if I wanted a carbon frame like the 9.6. So besides giving me the price for the 9.6 he told me that at least in his opinion his order of what he liked was the SJ, then the SF 9.7 because he valued them at the same price for me and then the Scott 930. Hes offered those 3 bikes to me at the same price (which is 400 above the 9.6) so if I decide to up my budget a bit I have options instead of only the SF 9.6 at the lower bracket.

I would like if possible input from people that have these bikes or are knowledgeable (this will be my first MB) as value and can help me make a at least an informed decision on where to put the money in. Thanks ahead of time.

Neither of those are a good value, at all, in any sense of the term.

The hardrock 29er disc is a good value, get that for your first bike. You will not perceive any difference while sitting on it riding up a trail. If it feels heavy or slow, that's because you are a beginner and need to ride it more, not because it isn't carbon.

If the shifting is rough or clunky, it needs to be adjusted, and that would be the exact same on a carbon bike.

Have fun, whichever bike you get, find people who are better than you and ride with them!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Spending a lot on a bike is totally worth it...once you know what it is that's worth buying for you.

You don't yet know that. Get something basic and versatile, probably an aluminum hardtail. Once you have enough experience to make the decision yourself, you'll be ready for the next purchase.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Spending a lot on a bike is totally worth it...once you know what it is that's worth buying for you.

You don't yet know that. Get something basic and versatile, probably an aluminum hardtail. Once you have enough experience to make the decision yourself, you'll be ready for the next purchase.
this. if you have that money to spend on a hardtail then go for it. but don't get caught up in the carbon rage. starting out on an aluminum or steel hardtail is not a bad thing. not sure where your located but check out other shops who carry other brands besides the big 3 (trek, specialized, giant) you can usually find better deals from smaller companies.