Quantcast

getting into road cycling

Discussion in 'Road & Cyclocross' started by jacksonpt, Feb 5, 2005.

1. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Well, the weather has turned decent (especially for February), and I've started getting into road cycling, primarily as a way to get some exercise and get into shape for the summer. I converted my old GT Aggressor hard tail into a make-shift road bike (I put 2 water bottle cages on it and some road tires). I rode 3 times this week and I'm really getting into it. It's much easier to focus on conditioning/technique when I don't have to worry about what the trail is about to throw at me.

I guess I don't really have a point in this thread, other than I've officially gotten the road bug to go along with the mountain bug I've had for a few years. My GT isn't the greatest bike by any stretch, but it's good enough for me at this point.

Today's ride was the longest/hardest I've done so far. I'm guessing about 20 miles which ended with a 2.5 mile climb up a hill that averages about a 15% grade. I didn't think I'd make it, but I did, and with surprising ease. Up next is the 2.5 mile climb up an approx 18% grade.

#1 -   Feb 5, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JMAC

JMAC Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Sweet, just wait you'll end up dropping a load on a nice new road bike, thats when it really gets fun. :thumb:

Edit: Just wanted to add, when I first started road biking I used my mountain bike with slick for a long time till I could afford a road bike. When you do get a true road bike it's like being re-born, just feels sooo nice compaired to a mountain bike.

#2 -   Feb 5, 2005
  3. Olyroller

Olyroller Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    So how much are you going to spend on that new road bike ? What grouppo ? Frame type ? Wheels ? Hummmmmmmmmmmm ?

#3 -   Feb 5, 2005
  4. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    haha, sucker! Start saving those dollars.

Just remember, real roadies ride triples!

PS: I rode 55 miles today in Serial Midget's old haunt... Parker area. Cherry Creek trail continues to be paved. Soon, it'll go from REI downtown to Castlewood canyon, ~45 miles one-way.

I <3 pavement

#4 -   Feb 5, 2005
  5. JMAC

JMAC Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What the heck are you talking about true roadie uses triple, thats for the weak legged. :dancing: doesn;t matter how steep the hills you climb are, don;t woose out and get triple.

#5 -   Feb 5, 2005
  6. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah, JMAC's right. His well composed post explaining the error of my way has changed everything.

Where's that... it was right here a minute ago... oh, there it is, my lovely shotgun. One of us must die.

Don't run away woose!

#6 -   Feb 5, 2005
  7. joshbrown

joshbrown Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I find the best way to buy a road bike is to ask a roady if they know any deals going on bikes/frames etc. I recently built up a colnago frame I brought dirt cheap from a mate because he couldnt be bothered building it up himself.
    ps go for a steel frame(italian if possible) they ride the best, plus you get cred

#7 -   Feb 5, 2005
  8. JMAC

JMAC Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    AHAHA :nopity:

#8 -   Feb 6, 2005
  9. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Hahaha... I think it should be: real roadies do The Triple...lol ;)

Lord Opie, dude, when you come up here, you'll spank my ass into the dirt if you're already getting in 40+ mile per ride. I could have gone for one this weekend if I wasn't so sick; this whole town has got some kind of a bug or another. But looking at SS's weather prediction, it looks like winter is coming back to us. I'm a bit worried about going back to the gym w/ how bad the bug has gone thru this town. Maybe it's time to finally pop for a fluid trainer.

Edit: a spammy PS on this, I have a De Rosa that's 90% built. Jacksonpt, if you have a 33"+ inseam and longish torsol, let me know, I'll get it to you for under a $1k. $200.00 more for a DA frt and rear der. and a BB and you'll be on Italian Al. She's a bit scratched up. PM me for details.

#9 -   Feb 6, 2005
  10. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    yeah, umm, I don't swing that way.

;)

Feel better man.

I so scored yesterday! I went to Performance for a map and they had their clearance section dumping at 75% off (as opposed to the normal 30%) and picked up rollers for $38! wootage!

11. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    LOL, SCORED! Like a home run w/ an 18 year old stone-cold-fox :eek:

12. Olyroller

Olyroller Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    This time of year is a good time to score at Performance , last year I picked up 2 pairs of $80.00 bib shorts for $10.00 each. No lie !

13. jacksonpt

jacksonpt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm a long way off from being able to afford a true road bike. I've looked at a few bianchis and fujis on-line (that's what my LBS sells), mostly stuff around $1000-1200 with 105 level gear.

Paully - thanks for the offer, but the bike sounds a bit big... I'm only about 5'8" with a 31" inseam.

Considering my conditioning and the types of hills where I live, I don't think I could survive on a double...

14. crackhead

crackhead Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I am doing the same thing with my rock hopper. the only part that sucks is that u don't have the gearing to keep up with the road bikes on the flats and u realy notice exactly how much your bike weighs on the hills. but besides that it is fun.
    fyi: if there is a realy techional twisty narrow road race with lots of potholes and manhole covers give the race a try. if u can get the hole shot ( easy with mt bike gearing) u can actuly hang in there untill they find a way to pass you.