Quantcast

getting into road cycling

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Well, the weather has turned decent (especially for February), and I've started getting into road cycling, primarily as a way to get some exercise and get into shape for the summer. I converted my old GT Aggressor hard tail into a make-shift road bike (I put 2 water bottle cages on it and some road tires). I rode 3 times this week and I'm really getting into it. It's much easier to focus on conditioning/technique when I don't have to worry about what the trail is about to throw at me.

I guess I don't really have a point in this thread, other than I've officially gotten the road bug to go along with the mountain bug I've had for a few years. My GT isn't the greatest bike by any stretch, but it's good enough for me at this point.

Today's ride was the longest/hardest I've done so far. I'm guessing about 20 miles which ended with a 2.5 mile climb up a hill that averages about a 15% grade. I didn't think I'd make it, but I did, and with surprising ease. Up next is the 2.5 mile climb up an approx 18% grade.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
jacksonpt said:
Well, the weather has turned decent (especially for February), and I've started getting into road cycling, primarily as a way to get some exercise and get into shape for the summer. I converted my old GT Aggressor hard tail into a make-shift road bike (I put 2 water bottle cages on it and some road tires). I rode 3 times this week and I'm really getting into it. It's much easier to focus on conditioning/technique when I don't have to worry about what the trail is about to throw at me.

I guess I don't really have a point in this thread, other than I've officially gotten the road bug to go along with the mountain bug I've had for a few years. My GT isn't the greatest bike by any stretch, but it's good enough for me at this point.

Today's ride was the longest/hardest I've done so far. I'm guessing about 20 miles which ended with a 2.5 mile climb up a hill that averages about a 15% grade. I didn't think I'd make it, but I did, and with surprising ease. Up next is the 2.5 mile climb up an approx 18% grade.

Sweet, just wait you'll end up dropping a load on a nice new road bike, thats when it really gets fun. :thumb:

Edit: Just wanted to add, when I first started road biking I used my mountain bike with slick for a long time till I could afford a road bike. When you do get a true road bike it's like being re-born, just feels sooo nice compaired to a mountain bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
haha, sucker! Start saving those dollars.

Just remember, real roadies ride triples!

PS: I rode 55 miles today in Serial Midget's old haunt... Parker area. Cherry Creek trail continues to be paved. Soon, it'll go from REI downtown to Castlewood canyon, ~45 miles one-way.

I <3 pavement

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
LordOpie said:
haha, sucker! Start saving those dollars.

PS: I rode 55 miles today in Serial Midget's old haunt... Parker area. Cherry Creek trail continues to be paved. Soon, it'll go from REI downtown to Castlewood canyon, ~45 miles one-way.

I <3 pavement
What the heck are you talking about true roadie uses triple, thats for the weak legged. :dancing: doesn;t matter how steep the hills you climb are, don;t woose out and get triple.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, JMAC's right. His well composed post explaining the error of my way has changed everything.

Where's that... it was right here a minute ago... oh, there it is, my lovely shotgun. One of us must die.

Don't run away woose!

joshbrown

Chimp
Feb 5, 2005
darwin
I find the best way to buy a road bike is to ask a roady if they know any deals going on bikes/frames etc. I recently built up a colnago frame I brought dirt cheap from a mate because he couldnt be bothered building it up himself.
ps go for a steel frame(italian if possible) they ride the best, plus you get cred

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
LordOpie said:
yeah, JMAC's right. His well composed post explaining the error of my way has changed everything.

Where's that... it was right here a minute ago... oh, there it is, my lovely shotgun. One of us must die.

Don't run away woose!
AHAHA :nopity:

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:

Hahaha... I think it should be: real roadies do The Triple...lol ;)

Lord Opie, dude, when you come up here, you'll spank my ass into the dirt if you're already getting in 40+ mile per ride. I could have gone for one this weekend if I wasn't so sick; this whole town has got some kind of a bug or another. But looking at SS's weather prediction, it looks like winter is coming back to us. I'm a bit worried about going back to the gym w/ how bad the bug has gone thru this town. Maybe it's time to finally pop for a fluid trainer.

Edit: a spammy PS on this, I have a De Rosa that's 90% built. Jacksonpt, if you have a 33"+ inseam and longish torsol, let me know, I'll get it to you for under a $1k. $200.00 more for a DA frt and rear der. and a BB and you'll be on Italian Al. She's a bit scratched up. PM me for details.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Lord Opie, dude, when you come up here, you'll spank my ass...
yeah, umm, I don't swing that way.

;)

Feel better man.

Pau11y said:
Maybe it's time to finally pop for a fluid trainer.
I so scored yesterday! I went to Performance for a map and they had their clearance section dumping at 75% off (as opposed to the normal 30%) and picked up rollers for $38! wootage!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm a long way off from being able to afford a true road bike. I've looked at a few bianchis and fujis on-line (that's what my LBS sells), mostly stuff around $1000-1200 with 105 level gear.

Paully - thanks for the offer, but the bike sounds a bit big... I'm only about 5'8" with a 31" inseam.

Considering my conditioning and the types of hills where I live, I don't think I could survive on a double...

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
I am doing the same thing with my rock hopper. the only part that sucks is that u don't have the gearing to keep up with the road bikes on the flats and u realy notice exactly how much your bike weighs on the hills. but besides that it is fun.
fyi: if there is a realy techional twisty narrow road race with lots of potholes and manhole covers give the race a try. if u can get the hole shot ( easy with mt bike gearing) u can actuly hang in there untill they find a way to pass you.