Quantcast

Getting more travel and a slacker head angle out of my frame

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
I might have asked this before but oh well.

Anyways, I have a diamondback xts moto that has 6.5 inches of rear travel and a pretty steep head angle. My friend said that if i got a shock with a smaller eye to eye length and a longer stroke that i could get more travel and a slacker head angle. Is that true and if so would it like totally screw up the wheelpath or what? Basically, is that a good idea or not?

(the suspension design is like the fsr only w/o the horst link i guess)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
blue said:
Smaller i2i wouldn't slacken you ht angle...need a shock with a longer i2i to do that.
Wrong.

But I think you should put on a really long shock, preferably an Avy, then put on a Super Monster. Then you'll have a lot of travel and your angles will be the same because you will just be raising your bikes. Think of it like a monster truck. Bigger is better. Always.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i realize you're joking but for anybody w/ a serious response i don't want my bike any taller than it is (for some reason the head tube is ridiculously long)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The i2i is the distance between the eyelets at the end of the shock. They determine your geometry if you want to mess with it. The stroke times the leverage ratio equals your travel.

So by going to a shorter i2i and longer stroke, you get a slacker and lower bike with more travel.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bicyclist said:
The i2i is the distance between the eyelets at the end of the shock. They determine your geometry if you want to mess with it. The stroke times the leverage ratio equals your travel.

So by going to a shorter i2i and longer stroke, you get a slacker and lower bike with more travel.
Duh. Stupid me. Not thinking correctly (I blame the booze). Longer i2i makes the bike steeper. BUT, a longer stroke gives you more travel

So what's the disadvantage to running a long stroke shock on a bike designed around a shorter one?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
blue said:
So what's the disadvantage to running a long stroke shock on a bike designed around a shorter one?
Well if the i2i is the same then you get more travel w/ the same geo. BUT if the i2i is longer then it's steeper and taller, which blows.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
Smaller i2i wouldn't slacken you ht angle...need a shock with a longer i2i to do that.
Are you stupid? A shorter eye to eye will indeed slacken the head angle.

Running a longer stroke can cause frame interference more often than not. (ie tire or frame hitting frame)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
blue said:
So why don't shock manus make shocks with really long strokes?
They do! 3" is a pretty long stroke...but that requires a long eye to eye length to give enough room for the parts to move inside the shock.

For this bike mod we're talking about here, what's the eye to eye length, and what's the stroke? I'll tell you right now, I think you're going to find a shock that:

a) has a longer stroke and same eye to eye length which will keep your headtube steep but increase your travel just a little

b) has a shorter eye to eye length but same stroke which will lower your bike a bit but you keep your same 6.5" travel.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
ChrisRobin said:
They do! 3" is a pretty long stroke...but that requires a long eye to eye length to give enough room for the parts to move inside the shock.

For this bike mod we're talking about here, what's the eye to eye length, and what's the stroke? I'll tell you right now, I think you're going to find a shock that:

a) has a longer stroke and same eye to eye length which will keep your headtube steep but increase your travel just a little

b) has a shorter eye to eye length but same stroke which will lower your bike a bit but you keep your same 6.5" travel.
I figure'd that would be the answer. i don't know the i2i length but its pretty short and the stroke is 2.0

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
freeridekid said:
I figure'd that would be the answer. i don't know the i2i length but its pretty short and the stroke is 2.0
Well unbolt that thing and measure the eye to eye (center of the eyelet by the way) and tell us.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
the chance that you could actually get a shorter eye-to-eye and longer stroke in the same shock are pretty slim, since the stroke is a large part of creating the eye-to-eye of the shock. There are a few where you can get varying eye-to-eyes with the SAME strock but not one with longer stroke. And as is stated above you would need to use a shorter eye-to-eye to slacken the head angle, or run a longer travel fork.

However this all being said, if you don't like the geometry/travel of your frame, that means its time to look for a new frame that will fit your needs.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
manitou and probably others make a 7.5 inch i2i with a 2 inch stroke, could not find anything that length with a longer stroke. good luck

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Get a 7.875x2.25 shock and run a bit more sag, that way you'll get both. Of course, this is providing the bike will work with longer stroke without having stuff bash in to other stuff.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
WSU DH'er said:
the chance that you could actually get a shorter eye-to-eye and longer stroke in the same shock are pretty slim, since the stroke is a large part of creating the eye-to-eye of the shock. There are a few where you can get varying eye-to-eyes with the SAME strock but not one with longer stroke. And as is stated above you would need to use a shorter eye-to-eye to slacken the head angle, or run a longer travel fork.

However this all being said, if you don't like the geometry/travel of your frame, that means its time to look for a new frame that will fit your needs.
i'd love a new frame but if i did that i would end up wanting a new fork, and new this and that and i don't have that much money, especially when i gotta worry about my hardtail too

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Rik said:
Get a 7.875x2.25 shock and run a bit more sag, that way you'll get both. Of course, this is providing the bike will work with longer stroke without having stuff bash in to other stuff.
That's the best option.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Heres an even better idea. Instead of trying to bastardize your bike into something that its not, sell it and buy what you really want.

Tada! no mess.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
dropmachine.com said:
Heres an even better idea. Instead of trying to bastardize your bike into something that its not, sell it and buy what you really want.
But "bastardizing" something is half the fun of mountain biking.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
dropmachine.com said:

Tada! no mess.
i don't think i could get nearly enough from this bike to buy a new one

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
dropmachine.com said:

Tada! no mess.
Putting a shorter shock isn't bastardizing it. Just setting it up better. Lot's of people do this.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hey freeridekid, whats the stroke of your shock? that would play the biggest factor in all this really, if its already 2.25, then you couldn't really do too much,

also if you want to check it out the bastardized way,
remove your shock, measure a shorter shock(7.5" easy to get), then from there drop the bike down 2" -2.25" eye-to eye and see if its feasible. also for the slack feel, unwind your spring alittle and sit on your bike, jsut don't bounce...or you could drill some wood...but its not very accurate since your not really getting sag...

another thing, you might be able to mess with the link some, but i hesitate for you to do that, NO DRILLING! but you could flip it...but this would probably do the opposite of what you want.
just measure everything lots and double check it all

if that doesn't work you could see if mca896 wants to trade you for my old azonic eliminator, (i traded frames with him right after we rode together this summer)

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
You're asking for more travel and slacker angles. It is very hard to do that just by swapping your rear shock. There is some variation between manufacturers, but typically rear shocks have the same stroke length for any given eye-to-eye length. If you want to have more travel, you need more stroke length. That would necessitate a longer rear shock, which would jack up the end of your bike and make all the angles steeper. Conceivably you could run more sag to compensate for this, but I doubt it would work well. You can get slacker angles by using less pre-load on your spring and sagging further, but then you'll have less travel when you want it. A fork with a longer axle-to-crown measurement will give you slacker angles without the need to reduce the eye-to-eye measurement of your rear shock. That might be something to look into. I'm not familiar with your bike, but it sounds like you might be looking for a dedicated DH sled if you're asking for more travel and slacker angles. I hope you find a solution. Keep us posted.

taletotell

Chimp
Jan 29, 2011
Binghamton, NY
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that slackening out your geometry could bust your head tube off. A 7.875x2.25 will probably do what you want since it is the same i2i and more travel, but you are risking you frame and life on it. That said, I would probably pull the shock and measure the i2i right before the wheel hits the frame or the frame collides with it's self. That difference is the max stroke length you an afford. If that is 2.25 then go for it. It is a small change so it will probably be fine.
You could measure the dropout to crown height of your fork and see if you can get more travel at the same height from another fork. I bet you could because that old marzocchi is probably pretty tall. I say get a cheap singlecrown domain 180 and you've got more travel and a newer fork that hasn't changed the geometry.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that slackening out your geometry could bust your head tube off. A 7.875x2.25 will probably do what you want since it is the same i2i and more travel, but you are risking you frame and life on it. That said, I would probably pull the shock and measure the i2i right before the wheel hits the frame or the frame collides with it's self. That difference is the max stroke length you an afford. If that is 2.25 then go for it. It is a small change so it will probably be fine.
You could measure the dropout to crown height of your fork and see if you can get more travel at the same height from another fork. I bet you could because that old marzocchi is probably pretty tall. I say get a cheap singlecrown domain 180 and you've got more travel and a newer fork that hasn't changed the geometry.
dude... it's a 5 year old thread!