Quantcast

Getting my wife a new ride

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Edit: Wow, I was thinking about a road bike, myself--those Sette completes look like smoking deals. As long as I can find one that seems like it'll fit, I might have to give it a shot! Kinda wanted something single-speedable, but I guess I could live with a singulator if push came to shove.
Yeah, considering I am NEVER going to enter a road race and expect to be competitive, and I mainly need it to get my cardio up (and I hate running) it seems like a win win solution for me.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I see we are using that term loosely now.
Seeing as how the worst bike we sold at my last shop was a 3300$ mojo, and I got to build first Di2 bike that shipped to a customer. I have achieved the level of max bike shop snob.

I still don't ride the top end crap, it's not worth it, X9 please.

Hmm. This bike is probably at least as good, probably better, than a high-end FS of 10-15 years ago. Were we having less fun on the trail 10-15 years ago?

Just because there's something technically/technologically more advanced now doesn't mean a bike's worthless. If you're a racer, the value is sure there to help you remain competitive and win races (to the extent that the bike matters, compared to rider skill), but if you're going out to have non-competitive fun with your family and friends, I don't think you're going to have less because you're riding a bike that some illiterate bikeshop snot thinks is crappy.

I doubt, based on the style of bike he chose, Eric and his wife are trying to blow down the latest supertech freeride trail, throwing heel-clickers along the way. So I sincerely think his wife will be more than fine on her new bike, and am happy to hear someone's more concerned about getting on the trail and riding than about showing off their ride's awesomeness.

Edit: Wow, I was thinking about a road bike, myself--those Sette completes look like smoking deals. As long as I can find one that seems like it'll fit, I might have to give it a shot! Kinda wanted something single-speedable, but I guess I could live with a singulator if push came to shove.
Mike, I was referring to the fact that he brought up time as relevant experience. Anything is going to be better than an old strait 6, and by saying the how ever many years adds too his ability to choose a good bike is simply un true.

I would definitely have less fun on that bike, regularly having crap need replacing, lousy shifting and crappy stopping definitely add too how much fin I am having on a ride.

Yea, those frames are all made in the same factory I know, besides the frame being kind of crappy, that part's kit is FAR from nice. That's the type of build I would be hesitant to sell some one who is going to seriously use it, as if they got any sort of riding ability together in the first year or so, things like doere shifters and brakes don't really cut it. Thing's start falling apart. That's a 1300$ full suspension, that really is about as little as you can spend out of a "bike shop."

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Seeing as how the worst bike we sold at my last shop was a 3300$ mojo, and I got to build first Di2 bike that shipped to a customer. I have achieved the level of max bike shop snob.

I still don't ride the top end crap, it's not worth it, X9 please.

Mike, I was referring to the fact that he brought up time as relevant experience. Anything is going to be better than an old strait 6, and by saying the how ever many years adds too his ability to choose a good bike is simply un true.

I would definitely have less fun on that bike, regularly having crap need replacing, lousy shifting and crappy stopping definitely add too how much fin I am having on a ride.

Yea, those frames are all made in the same factory I know, besides the frame being kind of crappy, that part's kit is FAR from nice. That's the type of build I would be hesitant to sell some one who is going to seriously use it, as if they got any sort of riding ability together in the first year or so, things like doere shifters and brakes don't really cut it. Thing's start falling apart. That's a 1300$ full suspension, that really is about as little as you can spend out of a "bike shop."
how's your 15+ year old peice of **** truck with a badass cummins treating you? Or that top of the line tattoo your buddy gave you in his gay lovers bedroom.....

I haven't been around long, but I don't think a douchenozzle like yourself should really be bagging on someone for buying a bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
how's your 15+ year old peice of **** truck with a badass cummins treating you? Or that top of the line tattoo your buddy gave you in his gay lovers bedroom.....

I haven't been around long, but I don't think a douchenozzle like yourself should really be bagging on someone for buying a bike.
It runs great, and I'll be up probably 6000$ when I sell it. I'm even going to throw a POS dodge in as a freebie

Actually, I'm going in to my gay lovers boss to fix the outline that I got done in a shop that didn't turn out so good. Him and his shop is known for touch ups/ cover work.

It's only because it's eric, he makes a point of being a cranky old dick to me, so I make a point of being a snot nosed kid

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Actually, I'm going in to my gay lovers boss to fix the outline that I got done in a shop that didn't turn out so good. Him and his shop is known for touch ups/ cover work.
looking at the quality of your tateu, i think it's down to bare necessity for them to be good at touch ups...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This is getting crazier than the Undead thread! Sette is giving Evil a run for it's money in the RM drama department!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I want one of those Focus Black Forest Pros...but they only have XL. I could have Mrs JohnE wash it a few times and see if it shrinks like every thing else she washes...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well done Eric, she will enjoy for sure.

Just to stir up the thread a bit.... I remember getting into mtn biking I rode a bike that was very much like the original bike posted... KHS FXT rage. I tell ya, it had a pretty entry line package and It was the funnest thing to blow past the guys on the 5K speccy bikes and see them always working on them, while mine worked just fine, having them ask how I could get mine to hang the corner when they couldnt etc etc.

Such a great feeling to ride a bike that is considered antiquated and outride the ****heads that think I need a better bike.