Quantcast

Getting new windows, share your experiences

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I am starting to collect quotes and evaluate options for replacement of most of the windows in my home. We have old crank style windows right now, I am looking to get efficient windows with a rating that qualifies for the tax credit. Obama is giving me $1500 for windows basically. (I'm glad I have been putting this off, my brother installed new windows in his house two months before the tax credit took effect. Ouch.)

This is a pretty big job, 13 windows total, 5 of them 6x12'. The house is block.

Vinyl or aluminum? What style of window is best? Looking for some feedback before I listen to the sales bullsh!t.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I am starting to collect quotes and evaluate options for replacement of most of the windows in my home. We have old crank style windows right now, I am looking to get efficient windows with a rating that qualifies for the tax credit. Obama is giving me $1500 for windows basically. (I'm glad I have been putting this off, my brother installed new windows in his house two months before the tax credit took effect. Ouch.)

This is a pretty big job, 13 windows total, 5 of them 6x12'. The house is block.

Vinyl or aluminum? What style of window is best? Looking for some feedback before I listen to the sales bullsh!t.
Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and cold. I'm not sure why the f**k they continue to make aluminum windows... :confused:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Window Hierarchy, best to lowest quality/$:
Fiberglass clad
Aluminum clad
vinyl (crap)

I'd look for Harvey brand windows installed by a local contractor personally.

Note: If your house was built before 1978, the new EPA RRP Ruling will probably increase your per window installation costs by $100-150 each. Law goes into effect 4/22/10 and requires all work for compensation to be performed by EPA certified firms and trained workers.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and cold. I'm not sure why the f**k they continue to make aluminum windows... :confused:
I hear the decent ones have thermal breaks inside to stop conduction. Kind of antsy about vinyl, my east side windows get brutal sun. Doesn't vinyl get powdery in UV?

Are you going retro-fit or new construction windows? Actually if your house is block, I'd say retro-fit. Go vinyl, what brand were you looking at?
I'm looking for recommendations, no idea yet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've been reading a lot of vocal commentary saying that vinyl and aluminum windows are not neccesarily the answer, that updating old windows, correcting sealing of gaps in them and applying something called low-e film is tons cheaper and you can use the tax credit for other materials that will save you much more money instead.

I don't know enough to comment on it. One of things they said was that the savings you realize won't even be earned by the time you'll be due to replace the NEW windows. Something about most of the new stuff wearing out n 7-10 years and losing effectiveness, negating any savings??:think:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
One other thing, you guys in Florida get certain discounts on your homeowners for installing hurricane resistant features on windows, roofs, etc right? Something to factor in there too.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Another angle to look at.

What is the total estimated out of pocket expense for your new windows? You would be amazed to find out that sometimes your energy savings break-even point can be 20-30 years...

Secondly, how long are you looking to stay in your current house? Same deal. If you are looking to move in five or less years... it will likely not be worth it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have crank windows that were installed before air conditioning was even common in houses. You may not be familiar with them (not seen up north much), but they are the leakiest sh!t ever. They were never meant for homes that are heated or cooled.

I expect an average of $75 month in energy savings, plus my $1500 in Obamadollars, so break even should be in ten years or less. And that's disregarding the increase in property value.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I made the down payment on the windows today. PGT 400 Series (aluminum reinforced vinyl) with Solarban XL70 glass and Argon, single hung on all smaller windows and horizontal rollers on the large 5x9 holes. This is all options on their high end frame, except hurricane resistance, which I do not need.

I ended up going with a large local contractor called C&C Window. I was able to negotiate 15% off of the initial quote. After the rebate, I'm looking at less than $4K for 11 windows.

Thanks for the info guys.