Quantcast

Getting old sucks

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Came up to Tahoe for the week to ride N* til the wheels came off the new TR450.

Turns out the old man in me would shut me down well before the bike.

Guess not riding all the time like this has let some muscles get lazy. Like the arms, and the hips.
Actually had to take today off. Gonna go ride Friday/Saturday still, but damn the body is tired.

Need to get these parts back into shape before Whistler in September.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I decided to get off my lazy ass and do something about it. I have lost a little over 20lbs in the last sixth months, just by riding more, hitting the gym and stuffing my pie hole less. I have so much more energy all the time and I have been cleaning climbs I was walking up not too long ago. I don't want to be old and out of shape like my parents.

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I hear ya. I'm not too old, 33. That's not too old is it? But if you don't get out there and do something you get out of shape quick. I'm having a hard time riding even once a week. Going tonight actually for the first time in 2 weeks. Steep fire road climb and I know my bigger, "slower" friend is going to stomp me again. He's been riding regularly and has far surpassed my fitness level. He used to be the one dragging but now it's me and it sucks!!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Meh, talk to me when your balls drop. On a hot day they stick to the top of my thighs and just about rip when I take a few steps. Speaking of balls, can you even see yours without using a mirror ? Ride more fatty.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its my hands and forearms that are smoked. And for some reason my hips. Like my left hip is out of place. Strange.

And yes, saw my balls this morning.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Jeebus, people! 30 is not old. Just take care of yourself and you'll be fine. Your body changes, but with the right kind of exercise you'll be golden. For example, start stretching. I'm at least a decade older than many of you, but this saved me from many injuries. Warming up ahead of time is important now also, especially with DH. I just recalled that lesson the other day as I tried to do a full on 1 minute sprint at the start of my trail ride (downhill 1st!) and knackered my knees and lungs. Oops. As you get older, you have to look for the best possible deal, not the best deal possible.

...and on those days, you might be happy with this result:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Beer usually helps get you warmed up for DHing as well. It loosens up the muscles and doesn't hurt as much when you crash (which I do a lot).

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The one thing that is difficult with DH is hands. No other way than to ride dh to get them in shape.

Not running the sperm bank anymore leaves you hands weak? Who would have thought?

Seriously though, moto makes DH hands not a problem.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously though, moto makes DH hands not a problem.
This.

Spend a few hours riding with GFF on a moto and talk to me about arm pump. Toss a WR450 around at speed in the woods and your TR450 will feel like it's a 20lb BMX afterwards.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm thinking that a KTM 450 is going to be this season's off season investment. Especially since I live in AZ, I can ride that all fall/winter/spring and really get ready to party.