Quantcast

Getting out of DH!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Hey Ladies...

After 6 or so great years of racing DH, I've finally decided to hang it all up. With BB closing and all the lovely land use issues in So-Cal, even riding DH for fun doesn't even sound like fun anymore. :(

So, I'm going to have a bunch of stuff for sale...bike, gear, etc. I know we're not supposed to be posting stuff for sale here, so I will let you all know when I get a chance to posting some stuff in the for sale forum.

I'll keep you all posted! :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Jill, I must say that I'm truely sad that we didn't get another chance to ride/race together after sea otter two seasons ago. You will be missed at the races. It's funny though, because I don't know yet if I will be back either. I remember you at the first national I went to just about 6 years ago, so it's very sad to think we may both be exiting the sport at the same time. But, if this is it for both of us, it's been a great ride huh? We both got to give it a try in the pro class at least. Maybe we can plan to go do a Super D sometime on the xc bikes, just for old time sake. Be sure and keep in touch okay??

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
HANG IT UP!?!?!?!?!?! no way. now you'll have to change your name to just jill. well i'm sorry to hear that but i hope you are happy with your decision. all the DH ladies on this board were a real inspiration for me to give it a go, and i'm glad i did. now i just need to move to some mountains.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
laura said:
HANG IT UP!?!?!?!?!?! no way. now you'll have to change your name to just jill. well i'm sorry to hear that but i hope you are happy with your decision. all the DH ladies on this board were a real inspiration for me to give it a go, and i'm glad i did. now i just need to move to some mountains.
i know of some real nice mountains.

well dhjill good luck to ya. decisions must be made sometimes. Are you gonna start riding road or step up the XC riding or stop riding all together?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I'm actually just having a great time riding the road and XC for fun with my BF. I'm going to do a 24-hour race with some of my friends next month...and I'll probably race some BMX from time to time. I still plan to ride all the time, I'm just finding that my desire to compete is waning over time. I'll still be here on the Monkey even though I won't be racing DH anymore!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
DH Diva said:
Maybe we can plan to go do a Super D sometime on the xc bikes, just for old time sake. Be sure and keep in touch okay??
That sounds like fun and more my speed! I'm just a little more than over being injured and beat up all the time for the sake of a medal! I'm getting too old for that stuff. The over 35 rippers like Marla and Dawn Bourque are truly gifted gals.

But like I said, I'll still be here on RM! I like you guys and gals too much!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey, come with April up here!

Maybe you should race road! hehehe

I'm full of good ideas, let me know if you need anymore. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
dhjill said:
Yep! That race rules! It will be my 3rd year. :)
It'll be my second. I can't wait! We have a bunch of monkeys going out there including a few mud hunnies. We should try enjoy a few monkey group beers :)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Heidi said:

ha ha ha! Our one road race was enough for me. That was pure comedy. :)

You never know, with the SoCal cost of living being so out of control, I can't say that I've never thought about taking the equity in my house and running to another state! You never know! :)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Echo said:
It'll be my second. I can't wait! We have a bunch of monkeys going out there including a few mud hunnies. We should try enjoy a few monkey group beers :)
That would be awesome! A whole bunch of us from Haro are going, so just look for the jerseys!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
dhjill said:
That would be awesome! A whole bunch of us from Haro are going, so just look for the jerseys!
Sweet! I think a bunch of us will have Trailblazers Bike Shop Jerseys on. Definately come by for a beer. I would certainly love to meet you!

Sidenote: I am just getting in to DH and am hoping to get better this season...maybe you can give me some pointers and I may even be interested in some gear or something.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Heidi said:

I think Heidi has a great idea! I'm only like 3 hours from Bend. We could have a mud hunnie get together!

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
DH is a hassle. I love it more than any other drug though. It's better than most other sports in terms of convenience etc.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
Hey dhjill -- sorry to hear about that. The sport will miss you!! dhdiva -- even if you leave, know that you have truly inspired me to keep going on my dh bike. After my accident, I did not even want to look at a bike, but that is quickly changing. Thank you.
Kate

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Special K said:
Hey dhjill -- sorry to hear about that. The sport will miss you!! dhdiva -- even if you leave, know that you have truly inspired me to keep going on my dh bike. After my accident, I did not even want to look at a bike, but that is quickly changing. Thank you.
Kate
She forgot to say that she can walk without crutches now. Not all the time, but its some major progress for only 3.5 months after a nasty femur break.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
TreeSaw said:
Sweet! I think a bunch of us will have Trailblazers Bike Shop Jerseys on. Definately come by for a beer. I would certainly love to meet you!

Sidenote: I am just getting in to DH and am hoping to get better this season...maybe you can give me some pointers and I may even be interested in some gear or something.
Sounds cool! I'd love to meet you, too!

I need to get off my butt and list my stuff. I'll have the bike of course and some related parts, I've got a couple Dainese suits in good shape, a helmet or two, and god knows what else I dig out of my garage. Maybe this weekend I'll get to listing it.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Repack said:
She forgot to say that she can walk without crutches now. Not all the time, but its some major progress for only 3.5 months after a nasty femur break.
Nice! I remember what an awesome feeling it was to walk without crutches after my accident. It's the first major step towards having a normal life again!!! :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dhjill said:
Nice! I remember what an awesome feeling it was to walk without crutches after my accident. It's the first major step towards having a normal life again!!! :)
I've been there too- broken Tib/Fib skiing when in high school, then torn ACL. What did you do (I feel like I should already know for some reason)?

It felt so good to hit my first real drop after surgery. I had been taking it easy until then. The bad part of that was that on the next run, K broke her leg.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Repack said:
I've been there too- broken Tib/Fib skiing when in high school, then torn ACL. What did you do (I feel like I should already know for some reason)?

QUOTE]

Mine was tib-fib as well with one side being shattered and the other spiral fractures. I now have a lovely array of hardware holding it together. How did I do it? Motocross, baby! :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dhjill said:
Mine was tib-fib as well with one side being shattered and the other spiral fractures. I now have a lovely array of hardware holding it together. How did I do it? Motocross, baby! :)
Ouch. Mine were simple fractures. I missed surgery by ~1mm. Close enough that they did an MRI. Oh to be a rubbery 14 year old again.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Special K said:
Kate
Kate, your a real sweetheart. I'm glad to hear your making such wonderful progress. I'm getting so amped to ride a bike I can't stand it!! In six-ish weeks I'm getting my custom brace/prostetic thingy made. Then I can start road riding. I'm also planning on spoiling myself silly and ordering my new XC bike soon too! I figure if I can't ride a DH or freeride bike for a year, I'm at least going to get the most super cool XC bike ever!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
DH Diva said:
I figure if I can't ride a DH or freeride bike for a year, I'm at least going to get the most super cool XC bike ever!
Good for you! We'll be doin' a Super D before you know it! :)

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
dhjill said:
Good for you! We'll be doin' a Super D before you know it! :)
Super D is pretty cool... I did the West Virginia Course last year -- they actually used a really small part of the expert/pro dh for it (the very end). I did Mount Snow Super-D, which was wide open and fast. Dawn Bourque rode it so well, all smooth. She is awesome.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
OCDH said:
Oh Jilly, all I can say is................................................Braap!!! You know you want it ;)
Dammit, girl...don't tempt me like that!!! :)

I'm actually selling the sportscar and buying a street bike...yeah, yeah, I'm nuts but I've really been wanting one.

If you go out and do any trail riding and you can borrow a bike for me, I'll go! Just don't think I want to MX anymore. Drop me an e-mail and let me know what you've been up to and how Louie's doing!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
What kind of street bike? I also want one. My brother just got a 2000 ZX7 Ninja. On the heavy side, but everyone I know says that they make a great 1st street bike b/c of the handling characteristics.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
dhjill said:
Dammit, girl...don't tempt me like that!!! :)

I'm actually selling the sportscar and buying a street bike...yeah, yeah, I'm nuts but I've really been wanting one.

If you go out and do any trail riding and you can borrow a bike for me, I'll go! Just don't think I want to MX anymore. Drop me an e-mail and let me know what you've been up to and how Louie's doing!
Don't MX.....do harescrambles and desert racing. :D

From my dirt bike clubs Grand Prix we put on last Nov. Pavement, Clear cuts, Woods, and a MX track all in one! :)
http://trav.smugmug.com/gallery/285952

We are putting on another one on the 12th and 13th

http://www.stumpjumpers.org/FrostBite-05.htm

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
dhjill said:
If you have enough aggression to do DH stuff, it's probably just a matter of time until you're doing trackdays on a street bike :) Fun stuff, but it has a hefty price tag.

Repack said:
My brother just got a 2000 ZX7 Ninja. On the heavy side, but everyone I know says that they make a great 1st street bike b/c of the handling characteristics.
I dunno - they're kinda heavy, with a lot of plastic to scuff up for the inevitable first drop :)

The bang for the buck is just so much better in mountain biking!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Repack said:
What kind of street bike? I also want one. My brother just got a 2000 ZX7 Ninja. On the heavy side, but everyone I know says that they make a great 1st street bike b/c of the handling characteristics.
Actually, I have this love for vintage bikes but have never wanted to own one due to the maintenance hell they can be. So I decided on the Kawi W650...retro cafe racer style with Japanese reliabilty. I'm having this little baby shipped from Florida...Kawi only made these bikes for 2 years, so there's not a ton out there. Can't wait...once I put a Corbin seat on it and lower bars, it will look sweet!

Attachments

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dhjill said:
Actually, I have this love for vintage bikes but have never wanted to own one due to the maintenance hell they can be. So I decided on the Kawi W650...retro cafe racer style with Japanese reliabilty. I'm having this little baby shipped from Florida...Kawi only made these bikes for 2 years, so there's not a ton out there. Can't wait...once I put a Corbin seat on it and lower bars, it will look sweet!
That is a cool looking bike. Sirprised it doesn't jave a front drumb brake. I like the pushrod housing. Is that what I am looking at?

MrCrash907 said:
I dunno - they're kinda heavy, with a lot of plastic to scuff up for the inevitable first drop :)

The bang for the buck is just so much better in mountain biking!
My brother was lucky. The guy he bought hos bike from is a mechanic at a large Kawi dealership. It came fully decked out, including frame sliders. He's already tested them, but not how you think. He backed his Blazer into it and knocked it over. He was 100% sober. All he did was chip some of the plastic. VERY lucky.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
dhjill said:
That is one cute bike. I want one now. Still paying off the dirt bike though, but I've only got about 6 months left! If you hit the bend area and can borrow a dirt bike, there's some sweet trail riding in the area....... :devil:

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Repack said:
If you want something that's more along the lines of a crotch rocket, the Suzuki SV650s is a good starter bike...it's light and there's a lot of cool go-fast aftermarket stuff for those bikes. The new Kawi Z750 is a cool bike, too, but many dealerships don't have them on their floors yet.

I just have this thing for retro-styled bikes...I was looking at the Triumph Thruxton and Bonneville, but the Kawi was half the price and more reliable. Hard to argue that one! :)

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
dhjill said:
If you want something that's more along the lines of a crotch rocket, the Suzuki SV650s is a good starter bike...it's light and there's a lot of cool go-fast aftermarket stuff for those bikes. The new Kawi Z750 is a cool bike, too, but many dealerships don't have them on their floors yet.
I raced an SV from 1999-2001. Fun bike! I forgot how much fun they were until two different guys let me ride their racebikes a couple months ago at a trackday. They are just so much more useable on the street, as they actually make more power than most 600s up to around 7000-8000 rpm.

I can't imagine the inline 4 of the Z750 being as much fun as the v-twin of the SV, but we'll see :) The press intro is in a couple of weeks...

- Mike

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
MrCrash907 said:
I raced an SV from 1999-2001. Fun bike! I forgot how much fun they were until two different guys let me ride their racebikes a couple months ago at a trackday. They are just so much more useable on the street, as they actually make more power than most 600s up to around 7000-8000 rpm.

I can't imagine the inline 4 of the Z750 being as much fun as the v-twin of the SV, but we'll see :) The press intro is in a couple of weeks...

- Mike
Yeah, if I end up wanting something a little sportier than the W650 down the line, I'll probably get an SV. They look like fun and they don't seem like such a huge bike when you sit on one. Some of the Ninja/Gixxer/CBR type bikes seem huge...there's a lot of bike and gas tank in front of you.

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
dhjill said:
Yeah, if I end up wanting something a little sportier than the W650 down the line, I'll probably get an SV. They look like fun and they don't seem like such a huge bike when you sit on one. Some of the Ninja/Gixxer/CBR type bikes seem huge...there's a lot of bike and gas tank in front of you.
Sporty, yet with a retro look? I'm not usually into retro, but this gets my juices going: