Quantcast

getting paid to ride

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
$7 !!

well, sorta.........I commuted, so I saved drivig 45 miles @ 19.5 mpg @ $3.15/gal = $7.27 Woot ! Just about enough to buy a 6'er

:dancing:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i woulda, but i've got to bring my laptop, a binder and some other crap w/ me when i leave work today. too much for the bike, basically.

i filled up today, and it was almost 90 cents a gallon more than the last time i did (sat AM, before i went to Jiminy). yowza!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
$7 !!

well, sorta.........I commuted, so I saved drivig 45 miles @ 19.5 mpg @ $3.15/gal = $7.27 Woot ! Just about enough to buy a 6'er

:dancing:
Nice. If I can kick this cold I've been fighting all week, I'll probably ride in at least a couple of times next week. 2 days of riding to work = 40 miles, @ 14mpg and $3.10 (probably be $3.75 by next week) = $8.86. If gas does go up to $3.75, it'll be $10.71 in savings.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
It was a pretty cool ride being the 1st 30 minutes it was dark out, and I passed a lake with a layer of mist/haze over it...and most of the ride was traffic free.
Fridays are dress down day......makes changing easier

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have been commuting by bike for a few years now. I do not have such a long commute as you do , mine is just under 6 miles one way. unfortunately my views arent nearly as spectacular as yours either, Brooklyn really doesnt have to much nature in it.
Last year I figured out how much Money I saved just in gas by commuting to work .. it was over $5000!!! And thats not counting wear-n-tear on the car.
so when it was time to get a new bike ( I already own 3 ) I used this number to show her how much i am saving so I can buy a new one!!!.Well, it worked I am currently waitng for my new ride

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
hooples3 said:
i have been commuting by bike for a few years now. I do not have such a long commute as you do , mine is just under 6 miles one way. unfortunately my views arent nearly as spectacular as yours either, Brooklyn really doesnt have to much nature in it.
Last year I figured out how much Money I saved just in gas by commuting to work .. it was over $5000!!!

cool, but where do you come up w/$5k ?

(6 * 2 * 5 * 50) / 15 (mpg) @ $2.50/gal = $500

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
douglas said:
cool, but where do you come up w/$5k ?

(6 * 2 * 5 * 50) / 15 (mpg) @ $2.50/gal = $500
that figure wasnt what i saved in that year... that was in total since I bought my commuter bike. and i figured in other errands that I use my commuter for. It came out to just under $950 for the year (almost 6 years)
sorry for being unclear :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
hooples3 said:
that figure wasnt what i saved in that year... that was in total since I bought my commuter bike. and i figured in other errands that I use my commuter for. It came out to just under $950 for the year (almost 6 years)
sorry for being unclear :D

gotcha............what about $$ saved for car parking?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
douglas said:
gotcha............what about $$ saved for car parking?
we have a free lot where I work so I cant include that... but there is a lot of dust here so I save on car washes. It was never about the money though.. i do it cause I can , and I enjoy it. Now that prices went up it definatly helps!!!
I just ran those numbers to show my wife how much money i saved us.. and that its time to invest in a new bike so that i can continue to save money.. in my mind it all makes sense!!! :thumb:

splat

Nam I am
narlus said:
i woulda, but i've got to bring my laptop, a binder and some other crap w/ me when i leave work today. too much for the bike, basically.
I rode in again today, and I carry my Laptop as well. I hate carrying it, it is tougher on the back.

I'm using the excuse that I can't afford GAs to make me ride in , butthe truth ofthe matter is I'm just really enjoying the ride ! And heck if I save some $$$ in the log great , cause my wife will just spend it !

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice, I should go straight to the brewery and start drinking since I've been riding to work for awhile now!!!! :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I would really like to ride to work. The only problem is I live up on the top of some rolling hills (making the way home difficult) and then when I get to the bottom I've got a major bridge and 55mph traffic to contend with :(

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
bluebug32 said:
I would really like to ride to work. The only problem is I live up on the top of some rolling hills (making the way home difficult) and then when I get to the bottom I've got a major bridge and 55mph traffic to contend with :(
Nobody said it was easy! Do you have to cross the 55mph traffic?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
dang douglas you cant get a sixer of yuengling for 7 bucks? where the heck do you live in NYS. by me i get em for like 5 bucks and the 12 packs are cheaper then molson so around 8 bucks

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
GumbaFish said:
dang douglas you cant get a sixer of yuengling for 7 bucks? where the heck do you live in NYS. by me i get em for like 5 bucks and the 12 packs are cheaper then molson so around 8 bucks

(I didnt have a paticular beer picked out in my 1st post) but I think 12 packs are like $7.99 here

I actually have about a case of misc. (good) beers I need to work thru at home.......but it is a long w/e :p

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
im considering riding to school since i wont be able to get a parking spot at school and dont have a license. its so much stop and go traffic for the last mile before school that it just burns a ton of gas. maybe this will be my excuse to get a langster and a courier bag. hmmm....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hate to burst some bubbles here but you have to feed youself more to maintain energy to ride...so you may not be saving as much as you think...D