Quantcast

Getting ready for DH season

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
So I realized that I need to get in shape to ride at a higher level, turns out beer fueled nights might not be the fuel I need to make it up a level or two this year.

How is the road riding in the Hampton road/norfolk areas? In New Orleans it was a good way to get killed (ask a friend of mine who was set to graduate from med school to get hit the day before by an 18 wheeler, he dead) and in Reno I left my bike in the moving truck. I have always thought the best way to train for dh is to spend a lot of quality time with my road bike, and dirt jumping.

Any reccomendations?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Let me first say that I know nothing about DH riding other than there's a lot of suspension and a lot of speed involved.

How much pedalling is done in DH? I would think it would be more beneficial to do weight training to strengthen the core and legs to withstand all the bouncing around you guys must endure. Road cycling may give you better lungs, which would be beneficial, and will definitely burn some of your beer off, but how else does it benefit DH?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
You'd be amazed, but you do a lot of actual pedaling on most DH courses, especially if you're trying to be competetive. I need to build the lungs, the sprint endurance, and the legs.

The weight room isn't really an issue, I lift most every day, but that builds slow twitch muscle mostly, which I am discovering is good for the long haul, but I still need to get the old endurance up.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I guess pedalling isn't the most photogenic aspect of DH riding. Seems like all the pictures in the magazines are gnarly rock gardens and stuff. :)

I started doing interval workouts last winter and found it really improved my sprint endurance. It helped to have a heart-rate monitor during the workouts so I could maintain a certain amount of effort over a length of time. After a couple of weeks I was surprised at the difference between the effort my body was telling me I was doing, and what the HRM was telling me.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Tattooo said:
You'd be amazed, but you do a lot of actual pedaling on most DH courses, especially if you're trying to be competetive. I need to build the lungs, the sprint endurance, and the legs.

The weight room isn't really an issue, I lift most every day, but that builds slow twitch muscle mostly, which I am discovering is good for the long haul, but I still need to get the old endurance up.
you ride a trainer? In the winter I go to the gym at lunch... ride the trainer a couple of times at night and snowboard during the weekends.

I don't ride the road and it seems I get my ass kicked by those who do. I sold my road bike when I moved to the lake. Too dangerous.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Tattooo said:

Cardio. 80% heart rate for 45 - 60 minutes, min. 3 days /week

Leg press, toe lifts. A good upper body workout.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Steroids.

Other than that I hear at a certain point fitness begins to level out across the competition and bike handling skills become a larger factor. Though having forearms the size of my quads seems like a good bet to avoid arm pump. And the myths are FALSE, intense daily masturbation several times does NOT lead to strong hands and forearms...it just makes you sleepy.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Yeah, cardio is where it's at. Since there aren't any mountains to pedal here, do the road bike thing and push it hard. Unless you live in the "mountains" then just pedal up all day long.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Wait, my nine time a day habit isn't helping me out with my arm pump issues. That doctor in TJ lied to me! Then again, when do you see a "doctor" in a schoolgirl outfit with a lump between her legs...

I have been using the commuter while in Reno to get some inshape time, but it snowed again last night, and the little skinny tires give me 0 hope over ice. Ever seen a bike commuter in pads? That would be me.

When I get to VA I am going to start riding in the house during nightly TV again, that got me in shape in a hurry, and then I think I am going to start doing longer road stuff once a weekend, and either DJ or XC on the weekends. I just read the new "Bicycle" mag, and there was some good training stuff in there.

Hey, do they test for EPO and D-Bol any more?

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Tattooo said:
I need to build the lungs, the sprint endurance, and the legs.
Try swimming, take a course at some local college, plan on 1 1/2 hrs, 3 times a week. You'll be swimming about 1 - 1 & 1/2 miles. Workout would include something like this;
20 warmup
20 sprint 1 easy 2
20 pulls
20 kicks
20 back
20 breast
20 slowdown.
Your lungs will really benefit while everything else gets a solid workout. They say swimming is the best exersize.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Though you do get in 'shape' and lose weight with aerobic training, I thought that DH was an anerobic sport really...because you are sprinting all out for 3-7 minutes. I thought that aerobic only begins after 10-12min of constant excercise. So wouldn't this mean that regular aerobic training won't help much, in terms of pedaling, and getting faster?

-MV

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yea, I had that same thought. I was thinking I need to increase my watt output, push my lactic barrier, and build my sprint.

Got with a friend who is a trainer, think there might be something in the works

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
there is lots of road riding here especially if you end up in chesapeake.

there is riding to be had all round but some of the best is in south ches close to the nc border.

ive got a road bike as well, we can hook up for a road ride when you get into town

you mentioned that you are going to be here on the 17th, are you going to have any time to ride?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am actually going to Bootleg in Vegas that weekend now.

We're going to come out after x-mas, buy a house, all of that. Doubt I am going to be able to ride, coming on the plane and not bringing much with me. We can start riding when I get out in January, need some dirt buddies.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I am looking in Suffolk, Hampton (good prices and yardage) and VA beach for the same reasons. Need enough room for a party yard and a pump track, which is a trick to find on my budget.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
your best bet for acerage is going to be suffolk, smithfield, or surry.
id be nothing short of stupified if you found anything in va beach

edit...if'n you don't mind me asking whats your ceiling for price (just wondering if we're in the same boat)

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yea, but then I've got to do the cock press air, which always ends with bruised nuts.

Somewhere around $250k is my limit, but goddarn if I wouldn't rather find somewhere lower.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Step 1 put your big bike away for the winter season. Do the following:

Road/spin/XC: gives you needed endurance, lose pounds, gives you an efficient pedal stroke

Lift: strenght, power, and most important is core strenght and balance

Polymetrics (sp): gives you speed and power for the snaps out of corners!

Finish off with a good flexibility route/plan. This is EXTREMELY important. You can not explode in sprints if you are tight. Also helps in injury prevention, in case you biff................

As the season approaches (2 months out, say like mid-March) get back on the big bike get re-aquainted and also DJ. Work on dropping and handling skills you should be good to go by May!

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I agree with all of that except putting your big bike away. Ride the bike you race as much as possible. In a sport where handling skills are so important, you want to be as comfortable on your bike as possible, not just something you hop on to race once a month. Especially since it is the bike with the best chance of keeping you warm in the winter.

SDH said:
Step 1 put your big bike away for the winter season. Do the following:

Road/spin/XC: gives you needed endurance, lose pounds, gives you an efficient pedal stroke

Lift: strenght, power, and most important is core strenght and balance

Polymetrics (sp): gives you speed and power for the snaps out of corners!

Finish off with a good flexibility route/plan. This is EXTREMELY important. You can not explode in sprints if you are tight. Also helps in injury prevention, in case you biff................

As the season approaches (2 months out, say like mid-March) get back on the big bike get re-aquainted and also DJ. Work on dropping and handling skills you should be good to go by May!

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I agree......

However I made the assumption, that he is already use to his DH rig. If this was the case he can qucikly get up to speed on how it handles later in the game. My intent was to keep the training the 1st priority and riding the big bike 2nd. Remember this only stage one of the program. stage two is to get back on the rig and ride it so you are ready for the 1st day of the season.

DH is kinda like football. You get in the best shape off the field and then hone the skills on the field. Same with DH

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I agree with all of this. I am going to need to work on the flexability issue I think, ripped my rhomboid over the weekend while digging. Not riding, not drunk walking, but while digging a dirt jump. Out for six weeks according to the doctor, which adds to my ability to get ripped. I see me riding the trainer for the next couple weeks in the living room.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Tattooo said:
I agree with all of this. I am going to need to work on the flexability issue I think, ripped my rhomboid over the weekend while digging. Not riding, not drunk walking, but while digging a dirt jump. Out for six weeks according to the doctor, which adds to my ability to get ripped. I see me riding the trainer for the next couple weeks in the living room.
Oh, yeah and before you train........you must warm up.....not getting any younger!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
SDH said:
Oh, yeah and before you train........you must warm up.....not getting any younger!
So I am starting to realize in a very painful lesson. Damn if this thing doesn't hurt! I think I am going to get back into a couple hours a day on the trainer, then some time doing yoga, then some time lifting and running. Then to keep up the big bike skills I am putting a DJ/pump track line in my back yard, which will also help to grow some muscle in the back.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Get a trainer and pedal your ass off daily is what i am doing. Also get used to riding at high speeds or try riding some XC but push yourself to ride faster each time on the uphills and downhills. If bike handling isn't an issue and its all fitness. Road bike or XC ride a lot.

DJing helps with flow, i find that me djing helps me to pump more and realize where i can gain speed on courses.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I was thinking a quick week or two inside the state pennatentiary might do me some good to get those butt muscles strong. Clenching my butt together to preserve my sweet anal virginity might come in handy.

So are we thinking then that the repeated pint lifting is going to be something that needs to become part of the past?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Tattooo said:
***snip***
So are we thinking then that the repeated pint lifting is going to be something that needs to become part of the past?
GOOD GOD MAN NO!!!! :eek:

A cross trainer with a decent workout that covers most of the major muscle groups will work. The cross trainer with a heart rate maintained at 80 - 85 % 3 times a week will do wonders.

leg lifts, upper body, and back muscle will benefit greatly.

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
I spent spring of 2005 off my bikes thanks to Uncle Sam's Vacation Club. But gym time was pretty much an everyday event. No bike, but intense elliptical and strength lifting, vs endurance/toning, for upper body and legs (squats, deadlifts, etc). I actually felt a lot less fatigued at the end of a Snow Shoe trip than 2004 when I spent more time riding. Personally, I think the upper body strength help take the DH beating. My 2 cents...