Quantcast

Getting rid of the lil buggers!?!?!?

So I'm starting to notice in all the dark corners of my mothers apt there are cob webs. The more I look into this, the more I'm finding. Now if I didn't get bit by the lil fvckers that caused me a trip the ER room, I probably wouldn't mind them around as they trap the flying bugs like fly's, gnats, etc.

How in the heck do you get rid of these creepy lil things that go bite in the night??? She(my mom) works so much that she's very rarely home, and because I now crash in the spare bedroom, I want to do whatever it takes to make sure this place is rid of them! Are there bug bombs that take care of spiders? Or are there some sort of catchers that I can lay out???

I don't want to get bit again and I don't like the idea of shaking out my clothes, towels, shoes, bedding etc everytime I go to use it.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
NineFingers said:
So I'm starting to notice in all the dark corners of my mothers apt there are cob webs. The more I look into this, the more I'm finding. Now if I didn't get bit by the lil fvckers that caused me a trip the ER room, I probably wouldn't mind them around as they trap the flying bugs like fly's, gnats, etc.

How in the heck do you get rid of these creepy lil things that go bite in the night??? She(my mom) works so much that she's very rarely home, and because I now crash in the spare bedroom, I want to do whatever it takes to make sure this place is rid of them! Are there bug bombs that take care of spiders? Or are there some sort of catchers that I can lay out???

I don't want to get bit again and I don't like the idea of shaking out my clothes, towels, shoes, bedding etc everytime I go to use it.
Have you considered buying a pet bat?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I came across this on skymall.com...that catalog in the airplanes...anyway...they used to have this thing that was a spider sucker...I always wanted that, but the thought of changing the filter where all the dead spiders were freaked me out so I never bought it. Anyway, while looking for that, I found this:

DRIVE PESTS OUT WITHOUT CHEMICALS OR TRAPS.
Magneto-Sonic(TM) uses electromagnetic pulses and adjustable alternating ultra-sonic waves to target pests where they live in your walls, floors or ceilings. Inaudible to humans, it drives out ants, ticks, spiders, roaches, mice and other pests, then keeps working to deter their return. Safely and effectively protects 5,000 square feet of home or office space. Plugs into any electrical AC outlet. Our Deluxe Pest & Insect Repeller uses the same technology with the added convenience of an extra outlet with a child safety design and a built-in nightlight.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Brown Recluse

This spider has a light brown body and legs. The cephalothorax (head united with thorax) has a darker brown violin-shaped mark on the upper side. The female constructs an irregular web outdoors and indoors in undisturbed dry locations such as basements, garages, closets, and farm outbuildings. The web is not usually used to trap insect prey. Instead, the brown recluse is a hunter, emerging from its hiding place at night in search of small insects for food. Favorite hiding places are in seldom-used clothing hanging in dark closets, in boxes of magazines, papers and other stored items, on the underside of furniture, in cracks and spaces around baseboards, around window and door facings, and in dark cellars and garages.

Most victims are bitten after they put on clothes stored in a secluded closet or that have been laying on the floor, when cleaning closets or storage areas, or when they roll on a spider while in bed.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Wumpus said:
Brown Recluse

This spider has a light brown body and legs. The cephalothorax (head united with thorax) has a darker brown violin-shaped mark on the upper side. The female constructs an irregular web outdoors and indoors in undisturbed dry locations such as basements, garages, closets, and farm outbuildings. The web is not usually used to trap insect prey. Instead, the brown recluse is a hunter, emerging from its hiding place at night in search of small insects for food. Favorite hiding places are in seldom-used clothing hanging in dark closets, in boxes of magazines, papers and other stored items, on the underside of furniture, in cracks and spaces around baseboards, around window and door facings, and in dark cellars and garages.

Most victims are bitten after they put on clothes stored in a secluded closet or that have been laying on the floor, when cleaning closets or storage areas, or when they roll on a spider while in bed.
thanks...I needed to see that...the only thing that gives me solace is that brown recluse bastards are not indigenous to Cali.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
NineFingers said:
She(my mom) works so much that she's very rarely home, and because I now crash in the spare bedroom, I want to do whatever it takes to make sure this place is rid of them! Are there bug bombs that take care of spiders? Or are there some sort of catchers that I can lay out???
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to show your mother some graditude for letting you crash in the spare bedroom (I'm not implying that you're not a considerate son...just that this would be a good opportunity to help out around the house). A fogger might get ride of the spiders, but not all the cobwebs. Take some time and do a really thorough cleaning of the house. Get in all the corners and really get all those cobwebs out. Then bomb the heck out of the house. I think your mom would really appreciate it and at the same time you would be ridding the place of all those 8 legged freaks.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
dh girlie said:
I came across this on skymall.com...that catalog in the airplanes...anyway...they used to have this thing that was a spider sucker...I always wanted that, but the thought of changing the filter where all the dead spiders were freaked me out so I never bought it. Anyway, while looking for that, I found this:
Ugh, spider sucker? How did that thing work? The idea of something that sucks spiders creeps me out too.

Argh, and the thought of emptying the dead spiders. Blargh!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Craw said:
Ugh, spider sucker? How did that thing work? The idea of something that sucks spiders creeps me out too.

Argh, and the thought of emptying the dead spiders. Blargh!
I was like a small hand held vaccuum of sorts...with an extension tube. You would suck the spiders 'from a safe distance' the ad boasted, and they would go into the contraption and die in an enclosed filter lined with a spider killing substance. You would have to change the filter...how gross, huh!

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Damn that f'n creepy and gross. Like what if you lived in an area with large spiders, tarantulas and crap?

Imagine the sound it would make..."Fwomp!". Ugh, and then the idea of the spider hitting that "Spider Death Chamber" and then curling up its legs. If I used that thing, I'd never change out the death chamber, letting multitudes of spiders just collect and build up until they're spilling out the top. At that point I'd just throw the whole thing into a bonfire and then buy another. Repeat.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Wumpus said:
They're coming for you.

I'm safe...see that indentation in the white part of california? I live by that...they did forget to add black f'ing widows to that map...they're all over around here...black widows and these other weird spiders that make a nest or something on the ground...their webs are shaped liked funnels...never seen one of the bastards, and don't want to, so I don't ride that trail anymore.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Craw said:
Damn that f'n creepy and gross. Like what if you lived in an area with large spiders, tarantulas and crap?

Imagine the sound it would make..."Fwomp!". Ugh, and then the idea of the spider hitting that "Spider Death Chamber" and then curling up its legs. If I used that thing, I'd never change out the death chamber, letting multitudes of spiders just collect and build up until they're spilling out the top. At that point I'd just throw the whole thing into a bonfire and then buy another. Repeat.
What if the dead spiders started spilling out? Like if the chamber was chock full of em and they just didn't go in anymore...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Bug bombs only work for awhile - and I remember as a kid my parents doing it one summer, and that night as I unrolled my bedding and shook it out, a few dead spiders that had crawled in there trying to escape the poisons I guess....

Freaked me out - I wouldn't sleep in bed for days.

Get a kitten - keep it indoors - and teach it that killing spiders is a natural way of life...Gravey is my fierce spider killer - does a great job!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Jr_Bullit said:
Bug bombs only work for awhile - and I remember as a kid my parents doing it one summer, and that night as I unrolled my bedding and shook it out, a few dead spiders that had crawled in there trying to escape the poisons I guess....

Freaked me out - I wouldn't sleep in bed for days.

Get a kitten - keep it indoors - and teach it that killing spiders is a natural way of life...Gravey is my fierce spider killer - does a great job!
But how does he get to the ones up on the walls or the ceiling...

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
dh girlie said:
What if the dead spiders started spilling out? Like if the chamber was chock full of em and they just didn't go in anymore...
Ugh, gross. Like it's all full and the spiders can't go in any further, so they're frantically trying to crawl out, legs flailing trying to fight the suction. All you see at the end of the hose are fluttering spider legs.

Damn, that image sucks.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Craw said:
Ugh, gross. Like it's all full and the spiders can't go in any further, so they're frantically trying to crawl out, legs flailing trying to fight the suction. All you see at the end of the hose are fluttering spider legs.

Damn, that image sucks.

Gross...I hate when they are in the shower...last year there was this HUGE black spider in the shower and I turned on the water to make him go down the drain...the f'er fought me the whole time...first...he hunkered down and would NOT go down the drain...then when he finally could hunker no more, his arms and legs got caught on the drain thingy...and he held on for so damn long...he went through...but held on...I swear...while I was trying to shower and wash my hair I kept one eye on that drain and stood clear of it for fear I would block the water spray standing in it and he would come back up...I think I'm gonna have bad dreams tonight...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
I think I'm gonna have bad dreams tonight...
Just remember the average person eats quite a few spiders each year in their sleep. It seems they like to crawl in your mouth while you doze. Your natural reaction is to just swallow them.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Take it easy on them. They are my unholy army of the night and if I hear of just one of them being killed I will send the rest to seek revenge! Muhahahaha!

Seriously though, I like'em and feed them whenever I can. The web spinners anyways. Sometimes one will set up right by my slider and feast on all the interloping bugs that fly in. It's the vagrant types that are the creepy ones. One time I had one live by my window for about 6 months. He got all huge and fat. Then one day another spider kicked him out of his spot. :mad:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The spider sucker contraption seems like a gimmick to me.

I vacuum them up with my normal vacuum cleaner. Then I let the vacuum cleaner sit for a week. It's inexpensive, involves no poison, and gets me a dead spider.

Just suck 'em up into the vacuum cleaner.

That said, my cat does an excellent job of killing and eating them. Obviously he can't get them if they're on the walls, but they don't stay on the walls all the time.