Quantcast

Getting sick....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
I've worked at this job for 3 years now and I've never taken a sick day because I was actually sick.

I never GET sick... is anybody else like this?
 

I Are Baboon

Run, Forrest, Run!
Aug 6, 2001
29,776
2,640
MTB New England
No.

I'm usually good for one cold per year that requires me to take a day or two off. This year I happened to be in Vegas for a conference when it hit. So, I'm now in the clear for another year.
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
I always use my sick days to play hookey, I only ever get an annual cold that keeps me off work for a few dasys otherwise.
 

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
1,774
74
Left hand path
In the last 6 years @ this job I've used 2 sick days. One for the flu ( I was shivering uncontrollably ), and one for a broken leg.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
Rockland said:
In the last 6 years @ this job I've used 2 sick days. One for the flu ( I was shivering uncontrollably ), and one for a broken leg.
Thats impressive man!

I've used more bereavement days than I have sick days in the past 3 years.

The job before this I worked for 3 years and never took a single sick day.
 

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
1,019
0
Orange County
You just screwed yourself. You're going to get sicker than you could ever imagine. In 3 years I've never taken a sick day because I was actually sick.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
Rockland said:
Thanks... I was just thinking about how many funerals of people close to me I've had to go to as opposed to how often I've been sick. Sorry I didn't mean turn the thread that way.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
amateur said:
You just screwed yourself. You're going to get sicker than you could ever imagine. In 3 years I've never taken a sick day because I was actually sick.
I've said it a million times that I can't get sick and I still haven't.
 

I Are Baboon

Run, Forrest, Run!
Aug 6, 2001
29,776
2,640
MTB New England
Rockland said:
In the last 6 years @ this job I've used 2 sick days. One for the flu ( I was shivering uncontrollably ), and one for a broken leg.
You had the flu and only missed one day? I had the flu a few years ago (only time I've ever had it) and I missed five days. The weekends kept me from missing nine.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,225
5,008
Sleazattle
I've taken 3 sick days in 10 years. One sick day because I had food poisoning and the other two because my boss gave me a bunch of crap because he didn't think I was actually sick. What an asshole.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
Westy said:
I've taken 3 sick days in 10 years. One sick day because I had food poisoning and the other two because my boss gave me a bunch of crap because he didn't think I was actually sick. What an asshole.
Wait, you took 3 in a row?

Food poisoning sucks!!
 

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
1,774
74
Left hand path
I Are Baboon said:
You had the flu and only missed one day? I had the flu a few years ago (only time I've ever had it) and I missed five days. The weekends kept me from missing nine.
I was fairly miserable @ work for a few days before I caved in. :help:
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,225
5,008
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Wait, you took 3 in a row?

Food poisoning sucks!!
Yep, 3 in a row. Called in because I was two pot sick, had to sit on one pot while hanging my head in the other. Boss left me a message asking me to do work from home because he didn't think I was sick enough to not work. I took the next two days off out of hate and discontent.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
Westy said:
Yep, 3 in a row. Called in because I was two pot sick, had to sit on one pot while hanging my head in the other. Boss left me a message asking me to do work from home because he didn't think I was sick enough to not work. I took the next two days off out of hate and discontent.
Thats quality man!!!!
 

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
5,407
0
New England
Westy said:
Yep, 3 in a row. Called in because I was two pot sick, had to sit on one pot while hanging my head in the other. Boss left me a message asking me to do work from home because he didn't think I was sick enough to not work. I took the next two days off out of hate and discontent.
Heh, I did that a few years ago... :dead:
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I call that "The Violator." :blah:

I had it once. It was the worst 24 hours of my life.
That happened to a guy at our end of the year party, he started throwing up during the party but hid it well....

He was sipping beef broth for like 4 days after.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
I used to get 3 colds a year. After I started working in a hospital I started washing my hands like ten times a day. Now I get sick like once every two years or so. WASH THEM HANDS PEOPLE!!!!

My sick time and vacation time are one and the same... I get 25 days off a year (plus four float holidays) that I can use any way I want. Occasionally I call in sick to go ride or play hookey... rarely do I call in sick because I am sick.
 

I Are Baboon

Run, Forrest, Run!
Aug 6, 2001
29,776
2,640
MTB New England
stosh said:
That happened to a guy at our end of the year party, he started throwing up during the party but hid it well....

He was sipping beef broth for like 4 days after.
That illness hits FAST. You're feeling 100% fine, and within two hours you're sick as a dog. You can't eat for three days after because your abs and stomach hurt like hell from puking so much.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
stinkyboy said:
I'm hungover every day, so I can't tell...
Oh man... I was f'ing sick this weekend with that flu!!!

I had to meet this guy from work a Jehova Witness at 9:30 to go to a computer show and I couldn't even take 2 bites out of my moons over my hami.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
we don't have a sick day policy or allotment...that said, i rarely take a sick day...maybe 2 in the last 5-6 years? not counting injury days, i've taken a couple of those too.
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
I take one or 2 real sick days a year, and those I could probably tough out.

What really chaps me are the work-a-holics who show up sick as death coughing up a bacterial stew into the office. Go the F**k home douches, you'll make the whole office sick!
 

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15,243
0
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
social distortion has probably caused more sick days for DHG than i've taken since i started working.
and a close second would be girl's weekends in Vegas..... I miss DHG. :(

I normally get one decent sick a year. Its normally a couple of days of miserable. Since we introduced the germ factory to the house I definately get the sniffles more often.
 

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
6,763
0
Vestal, NY
I don't get sick... I just get kidney stone.

All of my sick days in the 6 years I've been here have been for kidney stones of "family issues" (i.e. kids are sick, wife has surgery... etc.).
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
22,163
300
NY
jacksonpt said:
I don't get sick... I just get kidney stone.

All of my sick days in the 6 years I've been here have been for kidney stones of "family issues" (i.e. kids are sick, wife has surgery... etc.).
Thats probably because you don't eat vegetable.