Quantcast

Getting tinting of my POS diesel truck

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I thought you were saving money to go to college?

*missed the 'off' part. *

I just got a blow dryer and heated it up to peel off by hand. Just make sure to heat it up well and peel very slowly. Once it's off hit the windows and remaining sticky with some Bug & Tar. Windex and be done.

Last edited:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Get Diesel Weasel etched in the glass and some pin striping. Then you can get a CB radio and that can be you handle. Imagine all the lot lizards you could score w/ a CB handle like that.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You need to saturate it with ammonia (as strong as you can stand it)
Then let it sit (warm area is better)
Then remove BOTH LAYERS at once

Ammonia will break down the adhesive (this is why people **** up their tint with Windex) If you only get the first layer, you will be one sorry barstard. You'll be picking off the second layer in a million pieces.

If you can cut some plastic to the size of the window, you can spray with ammonia and then apply the plastic to keep it from drying while it sets in.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Get the hell out of the projects first. I got a hunch you might not do so well there... Your tat may say badass to you and your bros, but it says payday to the bangers....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Get the hell out of the projects first. I got a hunch you might not do so well there... Your tat may say badass to you and your bros, but it says payday to the bangers....
HAhahahahahaha!!!!! Projects?? You're JOKING. I live in a super white middle class town. I have a hunch that a middle class white kid wouldn't do so well either, but then again, not planning on ever living there. So I'm really nor sure what your point is.....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
HAhahahahahaha!!!!! Projects?? You're JOKING. I live in a super white middle class town. I have a hunch that a middle class white kid wouldn't do so well either, but then again, not planning on ever living there. So I'm really nor sure what your point is.....
Around here we have HUD homes that look a lot like the neighborhood your parked in. They are commonly refered to as the projects and the gang bangers run them and don't take kindly to interference. Sometimes kids from adjacent nieghborhoods accidentally wander into them and need to be redirected out of them by the popo so that the popo doesn't have to bag and tag them.....

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Last time I removed tint:
1. peel off tint
2. liberally spray adhesive residue with windex "the kind with ammonia"
3. using a plastic scraper or empty starbucks card, scrape off saturated adhesive
4. clean windows with windex
5. if removing tint from defroster enabled window... accept the fact that your defrosters will no longer work after the fact.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Around here we have HUD homes that look a lot like the neighborhood your parked in. They are commonly refered to as the projects and the gang bangers run them and don't take kindly to interference. Sometimes kids from adjacent nieghborhoods accidentally wander into them and need to be redirected out of them by the popo so that the popo doesn't have to bag and tag them.....
My whole town was built in the 50's it all looks like that, and there's no bad area either. Just middle-upper middle class

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My whole town was built in the 50's it all looks like that, and there's no bad area either. Just middle-upper middle class
My Bad. Where I live most of the housing was built in the 1880's or 1890's and has a victorian flair. The Middle and Upper Middle class left the area and built McMansions in the suburbs. After the war (40's and 50's) they built Soldiers homes which have become the "Projects" and they look startingly similar to were you live.....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My Bad. Where I live most of the housing was built in the 1880's or 1890's and has a victorian flair. The Middle and Upper Middle class left the area and built McMansions in the suburbs. After the war (40's and 50's) they built Soldiers homes which have become the "Projects" and they look startingly similar to were you live.....
Yup, you got it. Thing is, with property values the way they are in the bay area the McMansions are still worth allot of money in many areas. My whole track was designed by this guy ikler??? He did allot of variations of his houses built post WW2. There's like 4 tracks in know of by him within 10 or so miles of me.

Which is funny because the new houses built around here are the up and coming ****-holes. The town all that stuff with Jaycee Dugard went down with actually. They built a bunch of new houses out about 10 miles out towards the valley, it's hot as all hell, and the traffic is TERRIBLE. So when the market collapsed none of the houses sold, and entire new tracts of houses have been section 8ed

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm pretty sure you mean Eichler, he also inspired many postwar housing tracts in Metro New York and Northern NJ which because of thier popularity inspired many similar developements in the US. Housing in Dallas and Houston almost entirely consist of them....

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
You should take the tint off the surrounding windows and put it on the drivers view window only.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Your middle to upper middle class needs to get
mowers, edgers,, trimmers, round up, paint brushes, paint, pride, and maybe gorilla tape. Always a use for gorilla tape:)
Funny how you make that judgment without even SEEING my house. Unless you're suggesting I paint the weeds in front of my house?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
That is by far the ****tiest truck I have ever seen.

As for getting the tinting off, you take a razor blade and peel a little corner off, then peel the rest off from there. All you need is soap and water to remove the adhesive. This is from my experience at least.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Last time I removed tint:
1. peel off tint
2. liberally spray adhesive residue with windex "the kind with ammonia"
3. using a plastic scraper or empty starbucks card, scrape off saturated adhesive
4. clean windows with windex
5. if removing tint from defroster enabled window... accept the fact that your defrosters will no longer work after the fact.
Dunkin Donuts is no good then?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Funny how you make that judgment without even SEEING my house. Unless you're suggesting I paint the weeds in front of my house?
No I can't see your house but I can see your last 5 ft. of grass, the grass growing in the street, neighbors house across the street, ect... .It was more a comment on the neighborhood being middle to upper middle. Don't trip, I live on a nice street too and there is always some white trash house fvcking up the appraisals of everyone else.:)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
That is by far the ****tiest truck I have ever seen.

As for getting the tinting off, you take a razor blade and peel a little corner off, then peel the rest off from there. All you need is soap and water to remove the adhesive. This is from my experience at least.
ummm,funny, cause that and the 7.3 fords are the 2 best trucks ever made. As well, I've got no dent's, an intact dash, and when it starts up it rumble's like it's just broken in. But apparently you know nothing about trucks, cause a 2nd gen cummins with 4wd and a 5 speed goes for EASY 12000$

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My GSXR-1000 rides better than your POS ever will.

And I can prove it. I'll be at your house in 20 minutes. Drunk and all.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So far I have been less than impressed with that year Dodge. If tint is the least of your worries, leave it until you get bored.

My buddy Joe has a 2000 diesel Dodge. In the last year, this is what he has had to replace:

Lift pump and injection pump (Fass system went in it's place) $3k
3 manual transmissions (5th gear likes to fall off on those trucks) $1200 each time
Rear limited slip unit grenaded 2 weeks ago $1000

Almost $8k in parts. I keep trying to get him to sell it, but he seems to think if he swaps out the trans for something buff it will all be OK.

His truck is pushing just over 500bhp and 800lbs of torque, but it's a money pit I would never have bought. Pull that motor and put it in something that sucks less.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ummm,funny, cause that and the 7.3 fords are the 2 best trucks ever made. As well, I've got no dent's, an intact dash, and when it starts up it rumble's like it's just broken in. But apparently you know nothing about trucks, cause a 2nd gen cummins with 4wd and a 5 speed goes for EASY 12000$

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
So far I have been less than impressed with that year Dodge. If tint is the least of your worries, leave it until you get bored.

My buddy Joe has a 2000 diesel Dodge. In the last year, this is what he has had to replace:

Lift pump and injection pump (Fass system went in it's place) $3k
3 manual transmissions (5th gear likes to fall off on those trucks) $1200 each time
Rear limited slip unit grenaded 2 weeks ago $1000

Almost $8k in parts. I keep trying to get him to sell it, but he seems to think if he swaps out the trans for something buff it will all be OK.

His truck is pushing just over 500bhp and 800lbs of torque, but it's a money pit I would never have bought. Pull that motor and put it in something that sucks less.
2 Different trucks, sorta, both P pump, he has a 24 valve, I have a 12.

If he's cranking THAT much power he would need he needed a new fuel system, fuel system, head studs, and a turbo. That's how you get those trucks to move fast and have power like that.

Yes the 5th gear nut slips on those, it doesn't destroy the trans though. 5th gear slips off, you take it to a shop, they pop it open, reinstall the nut, and attack a cotter pin or something like that to prevent it from happening again. My trans got the fix from the dealer

Again, over 800LB of torque, and 500HP on a diesel truck, things tend to grenade. I'm making like 225HP and around 450LB of torque, I wont be grenadeing things like that

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My GSXR-1000 rides better than your POS ever will.

And I can prove it. I'll be at your house in 20 minutes. Drunk and all.
Alright, but then you're going to have to deal with me, dealing with you being drunk. We have after all had many conversations about cyclists and DUI's. Then we can see who's vehicle rides better when you're not only drunk, but in pain.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Alright, but then you're going to have to deal with me, dealing with you being drunk. We have after all had many conversations about cyclists and DUI's. Then we can see who's vehicle rides better when you're not only drunk, but in pain.
Well, I had one more beer, rode the 30 miles to your house, pissed on your lawn, then came home. Only took me 45 minutes out there and back.

The way it looks, did you a favor by watering the grass.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Well, I had one more beer, rode the 30 miles to your house, pissed on your lawn, then came home. Only took me 45 minutes out there and back.

The way it looks, did you a favor by watering the grass.
Dude, you ACTUALLY live in your sisters basement and you're how old?