Quantcast

Getting wheels built

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I have a pair of XT Disk hubs (not the new ones) and was wanting to get a pair of wheels made. I was looking at the mavic 717 rim. I have heard some people talk about how heavy the XT hubs are. Should I try to get something else or just roll with those? Also are those rims ok for a currently 200lb rider?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Those hubs are pretty heavy, but they will last a long time and parts are available everwhere. I'd say buy the rims and spokes and learn to build your own wheels (good place to start is www.sheldonbrown.com ). XT hubs are good to learn on because they aren't all that expensive. Just make sure you read and understand the whole process before you start, and take it slow. Work on your wheels when you're not in a hurry and have nothing else to do, and take your time. Wheelbuilding is one of the most rewarding skills you can acquire :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well in that case, those hubs will be fine... they are a bit hefty but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much weight. I used a XT disc hub on my DH/FR bike for 2 seasons of racing and hard freeriding, and it's still going strong.