Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I took two weeks off of the bike as I was deathly ill. Went back up to N* this weekend with the intentions of hitting it like a cave man, but just have been unable to get back into the swing of it.

Yesterday I just ran out of juice. Three runs, felt like hell, which was a result of too many nights partying, sleeping in someone's bushes on Friday night, and the husband of my friend's girlfriend showing up in the morning looking for a fight. Went home, tried to sleep, didn't work out well, got maybe five hours.

Went back up today with the intent of racing the Boondock's race. Went down hard my first run on Gypsy, augered off of the last jump on there, and wasn't able to get back in the fight after. Made a few more runs, but they were at about a 75% pace. Didn't have more than that in me.

Any suggestions on how to get my head out of my ass and back in the riding game? Only got a few more weekends to whoop it up before fall falls on us.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
relax on your expectations of how you should be riding and just start riding. It's hard to take time off of anything and it'll take time to get back to your full speed. For now just back off a bit and you'll naturally ramp up as you put more time in.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When I'm struggling to find speed, I like to take a step back, and rather than trying to be fast, try to be as smooth as I can. After a bit of that I'll find myself going fast without having tried to force myself to do it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Try getting a good amount of rest before you go racing. You need sleep. That way you can keep your head clear and concentrate when you're haulin arse. I notice a huge difference when i don't get enough sleep the night before i go Dh ridin.

Smooth is fast too. i find that i'm actually faster when i'm riding for fun vs. racing. I try to go too fast when i race sometimes. That comes with experience though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i honestly don't mean it to be a dick......you just need to cut some sh*t out of your life.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I hate you because you're right.

However, I've still got a few weeks of summer left. I can continue to be an asshole for a few more, then I'll be a grown up maybe in November.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I hate you because you're right.

However, I've still got a few weeks of summer left. I can continue to be an asshole for a few more, then I'll be a grown up maybe in November.
Just do what I am doing, selling all my bikes except my 20 and XC bike and I am going to start Road Racing motorcycles....that is what you should do!!!:thumb:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just do what I am doing, selling all my bikes except my 20 and XC bike and I am going to start Road Racing motorcycles....that is what you should do!!!:thumb:
Like stepping up in an order of magnitude though.

I was able to race Ducati's when I still had a doctor for a wife. However, now that I am doing the show alone, the dollars don't go as far as they used to. Once things start clicking a little better work wise maybe I can get back to this level of play-crack, but that's a ways off.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
In all seriousness, whenever your off the bike for reasons such as an injury, or being super sick, its going to take a couple weekends of riding to get back into it. Just have to take your time

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I wasn't riding all that hot towards the middle of this season. So I took a step back and did some other stuff for a while, camping fly-fishing, hit the gym a bunch. After a couple weeks I was itching to get out and rip some trails on the DH and without really trying I was keeping pace with the faster dudes around here. Sometimes I think a little break really helps, you stop worrying about the stupid little details, then when you do get back on the bike you just wanna be Ricky Bobby. Left Turns to the Grave!

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
I took two weeks off of the bike as I was deathly ill. Went back up to N* this weekend with the intentions of hitting it like a cave man, but just have been unable to get back into the swing of it.

Yesterday I just ran out of juice. Three runs, felt like hell, which was a result of too many nights partying, sleeping in someone's bushes on Friday night, and the husband of my friend's girlfriend showing up in the morning looking for a fight. Went home, tried to sleep, didn't work out well, got maybe five hours.

Went back up today with the intent of racing the Boondock's race. Went down hard my first run on Gypsy, augered off of the last jump on there, and wasn't able to get back in the fight after. Made a few more runs, but they were at about a 75% pace. Didn't have more than that in me.

Any suggestions on how to get my head out of my ass and back in the riding game? Only got a few more weekends to whoop it up before fall falls on us.
Yo, cool story bro.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Listen to the voices...

And take a quick break. Maybe Downieville, maybe take a visit to another town.

You are welcome to visit crash at my place. Maybe ride Critical Mass.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

have you started drinking again?

and i liked this one, made me laugh:
"...and the husband of my friend's girlfriend showing up in the morning looking for a fight..."

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahaha, i had to reread that for it to make full sense.

if you want to get faster, make motorcycle noises. It improves your speed and focus by 267.4%.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't do any of the following:

I took two weeks off of the bike as I was deathly ill. ...
...felt like hell, which was a result of too many nights partying, sleeping in someone's bushes on Friday night, and the husband of my friend's girlfriend showing up in the morning looking for a fight. Went home, tried to sleep, didn't work out well, got maybe five hours.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
D-ville sounds like a hell of an idea. Maybe Saturday.
Or maybe some shuttle runs in Tahoe. Yea, good idea.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I heard somewhere that two weeks off the bike is like losing 20-30% of your skill and fitness. 20-30% is HUGE in our sport, Dirt.
Weird, I sometimes wont ride for 2-3 weeks, and that first ride back I feel a lot more fit/comfortable/smooth on the bike.

Sometimes a break is a good thing, IMO.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Time off the bike did Mick Hannah some good.

I think time off the bike is good once in a while. Being consistent with being on the bike is good too. But i notice that when i don't ride as often, i ride more smooth and tend to be a little quicker. I don't try as hard when i don't ride as much. That's just how i ride though. Sometimes you have to take a step back to become faster though.

Being healthy doesn't hurt either.