Quantcast

Getting your ride dialed

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hmmm guess I forgot how much tweaking and rides it takes to get a new bike dialed in. I'm getting closer but its still not quite there.

The last bike prior to this was 4 years ago. I added 5 more PSI to the rear shock and two clicks of preload to the fork before I went out yesterday. It was close perhaps a hair too much pressure in the shock and maybe back off the preload one click.

Having the suspension working close to working the way I want it is bring other stuff out that I need to address. I have to lose the grips, too small for my hands and the tires descent but lacking, and the tires I like are not longer made so the search begins.

I'm glad I got the XL Fuel as it fits my torso length well and it fits the range of my dropper seat well. I did lose the 160mm rotor on the rear brake and put on a 180mm which made for a major performance improvement. With the 160 you were better off just dragging your foot. The 180 lets you lock it up if you wnt but gives great modulation where you need to control speed in the rocks but let the front wheel run mostly free to pick a line and roll the big stuff.

I am really tempted to see how my old 5" travel Jr T fork would work on this for downieville

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
gotcha. Have you tried maxxis advantage tires? I'm a huge fan of them, I use them on both my XC bike and trail bike. I know I hustle them all the time, but I'm such a huge fan of these tires. Great blend of cornering, rolling resistance, and braking. Reasonably light weight too, but not at the sacrifice of sidewalls. They don't wear out super quick, and have a nice profile.