Quantcast

GF totaled her Subaru, shopping for another...

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Thursday my GF wrecked her Forester. It was a driver side impact totalling both cars. She walked away with a scratch and a couple of bruises. She was VERY lucky. Even the paramedic at the scene told me that he could not believe he wasn't strapping her to a gurney and taking her to the hospital. I now have a new found respect for the safety of Subaru.

So, I'm helping her shop around for another. Anybody ever tried buying online from a dealer? They seem to have better pricing, but can you haggle with them as much?

I'm getting in quotes and thought I might try to get them down another $1,500 or so before going in for the test drive etc.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I Are Baboon said:
If you are an IMBA member, you can buy any new Subaru at dealer invoice. That's how I got mine.
You have to be a member for at least 6 months. I think I got my first membership backin 91 or 92, heh...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
HedgeHog said:
So, I'm helping her shop around for another. Anybody ever tried buying online from a dealer? They seem to have better pricing, but can you haggle with them as much?
Yes you can.

I Are Baboon said:
If you are an IMBA member, you can buy any new Subaru at dealer invoice. That's how I got mine.
Its not invoice, but it is close and a good deal for both the consumer and the dealer. Everyone on here should be an IMBA member anyway! :thumb:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
-BB- said:
her fault?

Yep.

They guy was speeding after a good rain. So he slid after he put on his brakes. Didn't matter though, she pulled out in front of him. She just didn't see him. It is a tricky intersection where people have accidents all the time.

He didn't even have on his seatbelt. :eek: Luckily, his car had airbags.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Its not invoice, but it is close and a good deal for both the consumer and the dealer. Everyone on here should be an IMBA member anyway! :thumb:
OK, then either IMBA or Subaru needs to get thier info straight. In any case, I was very happy with this program. :)

http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html

IMBA members are now eligible for Subaru's VIP Partners Program. This program allows IMBA members to purchase or lease any new Subaru vehicle at dealer invoice cost.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
HedgeHog said:
So, do I do all the negotiating through email? I was going to take in the quote and maybe do this all in person.
You are the consumer, it is up to you. The dealer is going to steer you to coming into the store anyway. Your most powerfull weapon is to be armed with the knowledge AND the ability and willingness to purchase asap.

www.kbb.com has very accurate information regarding invoice pricing. I am not familiar with the demand in your area, but if it isnt a high demand vehicle you should be able to purchase something from the dealer's stock at any where from invoice to $500 above.

Get all YOUR ducks in a row prior to the negotiation process (have cash ready, have financing ready etc etc). You wont be as an effective negotiator if you are trying to negotiate a deal that will take place some time in the future.

Good luck

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
OK, then either IMBA or Subaru needs to get thier info straight. In any case, I was very happy with this program. :)

http://www.imba.com/tcc/subaru.html

IMBA members are now eligible for Subaru's VIP Partners Program. This program allows IMBA members to purchase or lease any new Subaru vehicle at dealer invoice cost.

Sorry IAB, "Invoice" means different things to different people. It does not actually reflect the true cost of the vehicle to the dealer, unless you know what you are looking at. Regardless it is a great program that works like Ford Motor Company's A/D/X/Z plans. Often a consumer can purchase a vehicle below that price (but it is rare).

HedgeHog said:
I didn't know that! Unfortunately, she can only afford a used.
You can still negotiate, but with a used vehicle it is more difficult to arm yourself with information. www.kbb.com and www.edmunds.com will still be a good resource for "Market Value" for the used vehicle you are shopping for. Unfortunately it is doubtful you will ever find out what the dealer paid for the particular used vehicle.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
You are the consumer, it is up to you. The dealer is going to steer you to coming into the store anyway. Your most powerfull weapon is to be armed with the knowledge AND the ability and willingness to purchase asap.

www.kbb.com has very accurate information regarding invoice pricing. I am not familiar with the demand in your area, but if it isnt a high demand vehicle you should be able to purchase something from the dealer's stock at any where from invoice to $500 above.

Get all YOUR ducks in a row prior to the negotiation process (have cash ready, have financing ready etc etc). You wont be as an effective negotiator if you are trying to negotiate a deal that will take place some time in the future.

Good luck

Yeah, I'm helping her get things in order now. She is getting some cash from here insurance, and has just started finalizing her financing. With any luck, she will be ready to buy this Friday.

All the web info at KBB and Edmunds isn't much help. It seems the dealers are pricing foresters below the listings on these sites. I think they can go lower, but I'm not sure how much. These are used cars, not new.

Thanks for the input.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Sorry IAB, "Invoice" means different things to different people. It does not actually reflect the true cost of the vehicle to the dealer, unless you know what you are looking at. Regardless it is a great program that works like Ford Motor Company's A/D/X/Z plans. Often a consumer can purchase a vehicle below that price (but it is rare).
Eh, whatever they want to call it, I paid what the "invoice price" was as listed on various intraweb sites.

:dancing:

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I think in this part of the country it's ULTRA rare to buy a car so the dealer loses his/her holdback.

What's it like in FL? HINT HINT!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
If you want to come up to Chicago I can get you one for invoice no problem, maybe even a couple hundred under.

DO NOT pay over INVOICE for a Subaru, they can be had for it without a problem.