Quantcast

GG's laptop project update

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
y'all remember the quest for a computer for my stroke disabled sister in law? I'm down in sunny CA getting her all set up. This is awesome - the look on her face when she said she couldn't sleep and got up at 3 in the morning and emailed her brother in Mexico was precious!!

I've been her for three days and part of each day is spent on a computer training blitz. She used to do some of this so it's slowly coming back. Typing is slow for her, but she is doing great. Email, online banking,simple web tasks, some photo stuff---

Had a bit of a fiasco trying to set up a printer with built in wireless ( no print server needed). After three hours of dicking around with it, two calls to Brother and ATT tech support, I took that sucker back and changed it out for a very simple unit that she'll have to plug into when she wants to print.

Too bad I can't turn her into a monkey too but she has other interests.

One thing I need - I get a little goofed up on two button touch pad controls. Mainly, the steps to select and drag. I am used to regular mousing. Linky anyone?

you guys were very supportive and helpful as I put this together. And you may not believe this, but ATT/CA tech support is really awesome.

gg

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
That's great to hear. Everyone needs a computer :)
Where in CA are you?

To "click and drag", tap twice, but keep a finger on the touch pad after the second tap. Then you can drag the object around with your finger still on the touchpad.

Who's that hot chick in your avatar? :D

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Get a regular mouse. There should be some sort of USB or standard ports on the laptop.
If space to use a mouse is an issue, we have a mouse that has a rollerball for control - the mouse itself stay stationary, the ball moves the cursor around. Some people don't like them but we use one here at home and when we were putting on the races the rollerbar was invaluabe out on site.

I don't remember you looking for a laptop? About 2 months ago I sold mine for pretty cheap. In light of the situation I would have made you an even better deal than I did. Glad you found something.