Quantcast

GG's laptop project update

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Hey- just want to thank you all who gave me ideas with the laptop project. I am now in CA with my disabled Sis in law, on a few day computer blitz to get her all set up.

The look on her face when she said, " I woke up at 3 and emailed my brother in Mexico" was precious. Online banking is going to make her life SOOOOO much easier. It's been a little intense, reviewing old tasks she used to know, and new ones, both basic computer and internet. How much can I teach and can she absorb in a few days? Whew.

The only real fiasco was trying to set up a wireless printer. Oh boy, what a pain. Three hours of dicking around and I took it back, got one she'll need to plug into when she wants to print. Oh well.

My only real question/ need is a good link on touch pad controls. I am lukewarm on what all you can do. I KNOW it's like a two button mouse but I have a hard time translating it sometimes. Anyone know a good link with simple instructions?

thanky all!

gg

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, you could buy a wireless print server like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127129

They regularly go on sale for $40.

Also, what exactly are you looking to learn about touch pads? Just the basics of control? Touchpads are all different in their software, go into the settings to find out what exactly it will do.

Generally, it'll allow single tap to select, double tap to double click, a double tap and leaving your finger on the pad (that is, tap then the second tap, don't take your finger off the pad) will allow you to drag items. Most also allow you to scroll by either holding down a button and dragging your finger along the touch pad, or dragging your finger along one of the far edges of the pad. This is all stuff that can be turned on and shut off via the touchpad controls.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
heh too late now.

I wish I'd known what a print server was a few days ago but oh well.

I kept getting screwed up on how to select and drag ( to copy or drag etc)with the touch pad, and what I don't get I can't teach.

I'll be doing another trip in a few months, and we have some friends who will follow up in the mean time.